"The TiVo Beacon service has not yet started..."

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by aharris, Jan 29, 2005.

1. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Everytime I start my computer or try to open TiVo Desktop, I get the following message:

"The TiVo Beacon service has not yet started (or may have been stopped or uninstalled). This service is required by the TiVo Desktop. Click 'Retry' to continue waiting for the tiVo Beacon service to start, or click 'Cancel' to exit."

When I click "Retry", the same message appears again.

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps, but nothing has worked:

- Making sure "Enable Transfers" is selected in my online account

- Right-click My Computer--Manage--Services&Applications--Services--set TiVo Beacon to "Automatic"

- Manually starting the TiVo Beacon service (when I try that, I get the message "The TiVo Beacon service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

- Disabling my router's firewall

- Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus

- Uninstalling Google Desktop Search

- Uninstalling and reinstalling TiVo Desktop

- Pulling my hair out

And YES, I do have 7.1 on my TiVo, and I have rebooted the TiVo box since I received the update.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Robs67

Robs67 New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Templeton, MA
    Post deleted.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Part of the problem is uninstalling Tivo Desktop does not uninstall the TiVo Beacon. This means you can't really clear out that service very cleanly (so uninstalling/reinstalling TiVo Dekstop doesn't help). I have never understood why TiVo Desktop installs this service but doesn't provide a way to remove it

4. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed that it couldn't be removed.

Any ideas how to get T2G up and running?

5. CStone

CStone New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    I had a very similar problem for a long time (well before the Tivo2Go stuff, which I still have not gotten the update for but ah well).

Now, what I'm going to describe involves editing the windows registry. If you are unconfortable, or unsure, DO NOT DO THIS. You can cause some serious problems if you damage the registry.

I will not be held accountable for anyone doing anything that causes any damage. The information is provided on an AS IS basis, with no warrentee of accuracy.

Now that's out of the way...

Click Start, go to Run, and type in without the quotes "regedit" and hit ok. The first thing we will do is make a backup of the registry, just in case. Click File, Export. Choose a folder that you can find this in if you ever need to restore it, and give it a name that makes sence (like backup1-29-05). Also make sure that the export range is set to ALL and not Selected Key.

In the list on the left, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and expand it out (hit the plus sign next to it).

Next, expand out SYSTEM, then CURRENTCONTROLSET, then SERVICES. You should have a folder called TivoBeacon2, click it so it's highlighted.

In the window on the right hand side you should have some entries, under columns such as Name, Type, and Data. One of these should be ImagePath and contain for Data something like C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe

Doubleclick on ImagePath, and add quotation marks around the Value Data so it reads "C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe" (or however your data looks)

Close the registry editor (which also saves the modified registry) and reboot the computer.

Again, I cannot guarentee this will work for you, nor will I take any responsibility if it causes you problems with your computer.

6. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Cstone, thanks for the detailed instructions. Unfortunately your steps didn't fix the problem. Thanks again though... any other ideas?

7. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    Just wondering if you have some type of ad/popup blocker installed on your computer. During the install of the desktop 2.0 you should see a dialog box asking you to have permission to change something under windows.(can't remember the name of the file). If you're not seeing this during startup this is your problem. I had the same problem you are having until I turned off my popup blocker. Hope this helps out.

8. TVCamJr

TVCamJr New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Philadelphia...
    stantonl,

Thank you!! I turned off my Pop-Up blocker and installed 2.0 without a hitch!!

9. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I have the Google Toolbar in Internet Explorer, but that should only affect web page Pop-ups. I have been seeing one pop-up window during installation (the response choices are Yes/No/More Info), and I've been clicking Yes each time.

TVCamJr/StantonL, which popup blocker were you using?

10. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    The only popup blocker I have on my pc is the one for xp sp2. It is only suppose to be for ie but it's was causing that popup to be closed for some reason. Hope this helps.

11. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Hmmm, I have XP SP1, not 2, so there's no built-in Windows popup blocker. And I have been getting the Internet Connection box (and I have said YES each time).

Any other ideas? Please? :)

12. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    Is Tivo Desktop giving you this message when finish installing the program or after a restart. It would give me the message as soon as it would finish loading the program. Just wondering if you have windows firewall on also. I had zone alarm and windows firewall off when I got it to install for me.

13. aharris

aharris New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    It gives me the message after I install TiVo Desktop *AND* whenever I start my computer.

Also, no firewall -- I have XP SP1, so there's no Windows built-in firewall either.

Thanks for your continued help!

14. razemania

razemania New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    I had this same problem and was able to get desktop to install by doing the following regedit sugguestion, rebooting, then turning off pop-up blockers in I.E. (the SP2 version), the Google Pop-Up blocker; in Mozilla - turning off the pop-up blocker, AND turning off Spy bot and WinPatrol. (Not sure if all this mattered but it was the only way to get it to install.)

Thank you for your help - everyone!

15. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    aharris there is a firewall in windows sp1. Just not as good as sp2. It could be on. You could run computer management and make sure that it is turned on and setup to turn on automatically on startup. That may help.

16. Louis Cina Jr

Louis Cina Jr New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Try this it worked for me I cannot take credit for it but I had the same problem you are having...and after hours of searching the internet for somebody who knew what they were talkin about I came up with this.

1. Go to a command prompt (Start-->Run-->type 'cmd')
    2. Type netsh then hit ENTER.
    3. Type 'int ip reset log.txt' (then Enter, then exit)
    4. Start > Run > type 'Services.msc'
    5. Find the Tivo Beacon service, right-click and Start.
    Hope this helps......

17. dave843

dave843 New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    aharris - Are you using wireless or a wired connection?

I have this problem, and it looks like it's because the Beacon service tries to start before the network is ready.

18. KenBass74

KenBass74 New Member

Feb 16, 2005

thanks for the post louis it worked for me too

19. Steve1212

Steve1212 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I had the same error, but mine went fine by just allowing tivo desktop to run past my firewall. :)

20. robr

robr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    no luck with any of these. it USED to work for me, then one day just stopped. i have no idea why. ive uninstalled tivo desktop and reinstalled it. ive tried enclosing it in quotes and the other suggestions here.

if i manually try to start it, it says tivo beacon service has started then stopped. there is nothing helpful at all in the event log :(. i have no firewall or popup blockers