The Titan Games - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jan 3, 2019 #1 of 20
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Y'all know I'm a big ANW fan, so I had to try this. And... it's no ANW.

From wiki: The Titan Games is a sports competition series of 10 episodes, which premiered on NBC on January 3, 2019. Hosted by Dwayne Johnson, the show features people from across the United States competing in endurance-based mental and physical challenges of "epic proportions" to be named Titans; the sixteen Titans will compete to be named Titan Champions, one male and one female. The show is marketed with the tagline "Titans aren't born, They're Made."

I thought it was slow, boring, more boring, and so full of platitudes I thought my brain would spontaneously combust. "They're gonna have to dig deep to win this one." Said a thousand times, in a thousand different ways. "We'll see who wants it the most."

We've joked about how you can watch an hour long ANW in 15 minutes. I just watched the two hour premiere in 25 minutes. And that's after watching the entire first segment, contestant backgrounds and all, just to see what the format was like. I timed one: they went to commercial break at :18, the next commercial break was at :28. There was a 22 second challenge. Twenty-two seconds of actual Titan Games in ten minutes! The rest was commercials, background segments, and inane ramblings from "DJ" and the other hosts.

From a production standpoint, they made it very difficult to see how the competitors were actually doing, head to head. With a few exceptions, they usually showed just one or the other, not both, so you couldn't see how they stacked up against each other.

I really wanted to like this. I like Dwayne Johnson, and I like physical challenge reality shows. But I thought this was boring, and poorly thought out. I won't be back.

But hey, that's me. What did YOU think?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Jan 4, 2019 #2 of 20
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Like with ANW, I ffwd through the contestant biographies because I just don't care. It's a much shorter watch that way.

Even though they run through the same events and obstacles, at least this show doesn't have women competing against men. Women are at a distinct disadvantage on ANW because of the differences in size and strength.

Some of the events (the tether ball-ish one) seemed a lot easier than others (the pole tug of war) but the Mount Olympus course was really tough. I think the heavily muscled, tattooed dude is still on that course.

I'll probably watch again but this ain't no World's Strongest Man. I can watch marathons of that show. It is better than that athletic competition show Kevin Hart hosted last year though. :p

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  3. Jan 4, 2019 #3 of 20
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Haven't seen it, did record it, have not read the above, but, they really hyped it for the past month or more.

4. Jan 4, 2019 #4 of 20
    cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    you can become a titan? so its like American gladiators-ish?

Are the titans Turbo and Blaze and similar? :)

5. Jan 4, 2019 #5 of 20
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Nah, these are super-fit amateur competitors. Think super SUPER fit, with huge muscles, and massive anaerobic abilities. They aren't really every day people like Ninja Warriors, they are people who spend hours & hours working out. And many of them "have a story" (ok, that's like ANW :rolleyes:). They compete one on one against each other in mostly muscle-bound events. One guy with a build like 1980s Arnold ran out of juice on an obstacle-type course. He could lift a 300 lb wall, but he couldn't climb over one.

If you like these type of reality shows, give it a try. I love ANW, and used to like American Gladiator back in the day. But I found this... lacking.

YMMV.

PS: I'll guess the ratings are huge. Not only was it promoted off the wall, there wasn't much competition. Predict ratings drop of 25% for week 2.

jasrub likes this.
  6. Jan 4, 2019 #6 of 20
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I enjoyed it. I did find it interesting that they don't change anything (like weight) for the female contestants.

7. Jan 5, 2019 #7 of 20
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Some of the events seemed straight out of MTV's The Challenge and Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch, both of which I enjoyed a lot more.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  8. Jan 5, 2019 #8 of 20
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The Wikipedia entry has been changed to correct this - it now says that this is how it was first announced, but then describes the correct format.

The original format smacked of Fox's singing competition, The Four.

This may because they don't have separate men's and women's courses on American Ninja Warrior; they probably don't want people to think that female titans are "less capable" than male ones.

9. Jan 5, 2019 #9 of 20
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks, I edited my post to reflect the new wiki entry.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it was ridiculous the amount of fluff vs. the amount of competition...

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Also, they had 8 challenges to get to Mt. Olympus and 7 unique events. Why did they have to show the 2 runnings of the Cyclone back-to-back? I understand why they might film them back-to-back, but they could have shown them in a different order.

At least the 2nd hour's Mt. Olympus challenges were real head-to-head battles...

pmyers likes this.
  12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah..that rolling barrel challenge seems to be the difference maker so far.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought it was 'ok', but the other athletic reality shows are better. Will keep watching (in quickmode).

14. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Watching the men do "heavy metal" and then watching the women, something had to be different because it appears much easier for the women.

pmyers likes this.
  15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    We noticed that too...although they were saying the weight was the same, when it came to the cranking part it looked a lot easier for the women.

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The women's events are more interesting than the men's events. I can't find anything on the internet that says the events are made easier for the women. There might be something controversial out there but I didn't find it. From what I've seen so far, the women seem to be better athletes than the men. In the latest episode, a 5' 125 lb woman dragged that big boulder to the "relic" pedestal like it was nothing. Of course, she was smart enough to shorten the chain as much as possible and drag it from there. The two men and the other female contestants took much longer.

This show really flies by when you skip the commercials and fast forward through all the up close and personal stuff.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Keep in mind that if you're 250 lbs, then you're dragging twice as much weight over those rollers, up the wall to the cranks and then over the walls near the end. It could be that the bigger contestants are just tired...

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Yeah, the muscle bound guys seem to have trouble with the big rollers on Mount Olympus.

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Bump...

For season two, they introduced Pros who challenge the contestant that just won two (and sometimes competed in three challenges) to get to Mt. Olympus. But waiting in the wings is a well rested Pro. How is that fair? They don't explain how long between the final challenge and Mt. Olympus is. Is it a few hours? A half-hour, the next day (I doubt that)? Tonight's episode the female who lost to the Pro looked spent while the Pro breezed thru Mt. Olympus.

20. type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Same with the Male contestant he looked gassed at the end when he slipped and fell.