The Terror, new AMC series, premiers March 26th

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smbaker, Mar 11, 2018.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

Ooh, just saw a commercial for this, apparently coming March 26th.

Having read the book, I'm looking forward to it.

mrizzo80, Martha and rdrrepair like this.
  2. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Thanks for the heads up. I've set my TiVo to record by using Adam Nagaitis to find the series as it's not in the guide yet.

Odd, first choice gave me the option to stream. Had to explore show before it would let me set a One Pass

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Interesting, didn't work for me...there was nothing listed under him. I haven't been able to use that trick for shows not yet in the Guide Data since Rovi took over...

4. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I used the TiVo app for Android.

Screenshot_2018-03-12-07-04-10.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-12-07-04-24.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-12-07-05-02.png

I used the TiVo app for Android.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    ozzman73 and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Wow, didn't know that worked differently! Thanks!

rdrrepair likes this.
  6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    After clicking on The Terror make sure you Explore This Show and then get the One Pass. If you try to get the show in the first screen the only option is streaming.

ozzman73 likes this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Got it, thanks!

8. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Looks ambitious.

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    FYI,

The first episode is now available a few hours early from On Demand and magic.

10. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    What does everyone think of this so far?

I don't recall seeing anything about this being based on a true story......is it supposed to be?

Also, I don't have a globe handy so I'm curious......are they going north between Greenland and Canada? I thought I heard some references to Baffin Bay but I can't say for sure. I would have liked some visual map references every now and then.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I gave up on it. It just didn't interest me.

They're trying to get across the North of Canada to the Pacific. The Northwest Passage.

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm just sort of going with it; can't really believe the whole intentionally stuck in ice thing, et. al. I suppose maybe they did that, but I've yet to see what was to be gained by doing it, either. Although at this point, I'm just looking forward to seeing the new captain and his cronies get paid back for the lashings "as a boy."

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'm two episodes in and enjoying it. I have limited time, and other things have pushed it down the priority queue.

I'm a big fan of the author of the book, Dan Simmons, so I'm likely going to enjoy the series if nothing else just to see the characters transformed from literature to television. IMO Simmons' novels do sometimes start slowly, and they can often get bogged down with detail. If the television series proceeds with that level of pacing, I think it's going to lose viewership as people lose patience with it.

It's a true story in that the ships were sent on the expedition. I can't say much more without divulging my knowledge from the book.

14. deli99

deli99 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    Anyone still watching? I'm through E7 and think it's exceptional. Much better than I thought it would be. The monster/spirit/animal seems to take a backseat to more realistic dangers of ocean exploration in those days. Isolation, cold, disease, rations, etc. It will be interesting to see how it ends, but I don't have much hope for them.

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    We are struggling to finish this. The pacing is just so uneven.

16. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I just binged this, mostly on Sunday and finishing up today, with QM & commercial skip and I thought it was awesome. Maybe it’s easy to get impatient watching it week to week (as a lot of shows are with me) and this one is better for binging.

rdrrepair, justen_m and deli99 like this.
  17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Cool. I've got all 10 episodes recorded, none watched. Well, it shows up as 9 episodes, because 1 and 2 aired and were recorded as a single 2 hour block. 10 hours of show, minus commercials, should be about 7.33 hours. Maybe I can binge this weekend.

18. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Some episodes run longer. More like 11 hours of show —> 8 hours without commercials. Using QuickMode takes it to about 6 hours and probably helps with the pacing others complained about. Using closed captions makes it less likely one has to backtrack to catch missed dialogue. I only rewound to watch special effects frame by frame or in slow motion.

19. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    When this came out last spring, We watched it.....
    A few months ago I asked the person that I watched it with..... what their favorite show, so far this year..... and we both said it was The Terror.

It was very hard to understand the characters with their accents..... So about 3 shows in, we used the Closed Captioning on the rest of the show...... and Now it was much easier to follow along.

justen_m likes this.
  20. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    This year's story was fine...until last night. Or Sunday night . I forget. But when two guys who aren't supposed to have weapons or a Jeep take off in a Jeep with a gun I said to myself. "That's it for me"