The....SUGGESTIONS!! They're multiplying...like....TRIBBLES!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BriGuy20, Sep 21, 2006.

1. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA

Advertisements

I noticed that just about as SOON as I got my series 3 that it started recording TONS AND TONS of suggestions. Sometimes 2 at once! AND I DONT EVEN HAVE THAT MANY SHOWS ON SP!

I'd be worried, but it can record about 150 hours of stuff (on best quality). :p

I'm up to 22 suggestions, how about you guys?

2. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't have mine yet, but my Series 2 has never been connected to cable, so suggestions were exceedingly rare ( I may have seen 20 three years). Now I have about 150 channels, so I hope to see a lot more once the S3 gets here on Friday.

3. cotton168

cotton168 Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Monterey...
    I usually turn off mine because there is no way I would be able to watch all my favorite shows and the suggestions that TIVO has. LOL :D

4. pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    I never get the worry about suggestions. The disk is going to spin and record stuff all the time anyway, and suggestions are never recorded (or take up space) at the expense of a season pass or wishlist item (ie anything in your todo list). So it really doesn't do any harm.

I mainly use it as a indicator of free space, but it does pick up shows I like (after it learns a bit) and I end up watching them when I want something different.

As and aside, my upgraded DirecTivos have well over 100 suggestions on them, and for a time that number was over 200.

5. tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006

Advertisements

Look at it as "on demand" shows available for your viewing. I had a problem a few years ago where the cable company was down and couldn't get issues resolved (I think right after the blackout of 2002 or 2003) and luckily I had about 30 shows recorded as suggestions that I had plenty to watch in the meantime.

6. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    I noticed this too -- I think the goal is to have a bunch of programs to watch available quickly.

Michael

7. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Since your TiVo is brand new, and has a 250gb HD, it doesn't have anything better to do ... of course it's gonna record 2 at once ... it has 2 tuners ... but as/when you start recording HD content, that's gonna drop VERY quickly....

Like PinballFan, I use the Suggestions as a disk space warning ... when it gets down to <25 shows, then I know I'm running low on space ...

8. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if it recorded shows I actually WANTED to watch, for some reason it's recording all Discovery Health and HGTV shows (which, by and large, I have no interest in watching).

I'm sure it'll get a lot better once I get the new cable cards in and I start putting on all my SPs.

9. tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    It will get better as you setup season passes and use thumbs up and thumbs down for teh suggestions. I always hate teaching my new tivo's that I am not a 60 yr old woman or a 12 year old.

10. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had an out of control problem with suggestions on one of my TiVos. This is a 540-x box, which is mostly idle. Normally, the first thing I do with a new TiVo is turn suggestions off. For fun, since this box wasn't doing much, I decided to turn them on. In no time, I had 70 recorded suggestions.

If any of you are familiar with the slowness issue currently on some of the 540's (mine included), you know that the box is slow to respond to the menus. So imagine having 70 shows (most of which were complete misses as far as my tastes are concerned) that you have to delete...only trying to delete each one results in serious lag.

In desparation, I did a "clear and delete" and reset the box, then I turned the suggestions off again.

As has been mentioned before, it would be nice to have an option whereby I could specify the maximum number of suggestions I want the box to record.

11. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed &amp;amp;amp; Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Again.. why delete suggestions anyway? If you had something that completely missed your taste, you could 3-thumbs down it... but I never see the point of deleting a suggestion. (Maybe the 3-thumbs down ones)

12. Bodshal

Bodshal Penguin-tastic!

Jan 4, 2005
    Cedar...
    The S2 I rebuilt a week or so ago now has 120 suggestions on it.

I can only imagine what he S3 would do with the same amount of space, recording two at once! :)

Chris.

13. jodell

jodell TiVo geek

Jul 9, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    The easiest way to get rid of S3 suggestion "tribbles" is to record more HD. :') As others have stated, suggestions go away when the free disk space is low.

Jeff

14. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't understand why suggestions are a big deal. Like someone mentioned, they don't conflict with anything and you don't have to watch them.

15. jgsx

jgsx New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    My old S2 dual tuner would have over 600 suggestions all the time. My S3 is stacking them up already (750gb in the s3)

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's doing what it's supposed to :)
    I had a really hard time explaining suggestions to my mom when I got her a series 2 for Mothers Day.

I think my final explanation to her was that it *lives* to make suggestions, it's not happy until it's recorded everything on every channel and is awaiting your return. It lives to go and get things you want to watch.
    (very dog-like if you ask me)

If it's recording suggestions that aren't your kind of show, take the time out and start rating them with thumbs up and down.
    oh.. and word of advice, don't go nuts with the 3 ups and 3 downs, simple 1 up and 1 down will help guide it better, I save 3 downs for things I would never watch (like shopping channels)

I know my 320GB S2 is always full, but after it living with me and then me teaching it for almost 3 years, the Suggestion engine is almost always right on the money

Diane