The Strain - Season 1 thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Sep 17, 2014.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA

Advertisements

Figured a season thread would be a better place to discuss the show.

The biggest mystery to me is who is this guy?
    [​IMG]

We saw him in episode 7. The lawyer lady from the plane was turning and the nanny saw something was going on (that she was sick) and decided to take the her kids. However the nanny's daughter (a nurse) forced her to return the kids to their mother. The mom had turned and attacked them (nanny's daughter was scratched.) Their group got trapped then this guy (pictured above) shows up, kills the strigori attacking them. Before he lets the nanny's group leave he checks them to see if they are hurt. He lets them leave but kills the nanny's daughter since she is infected.

He seems infected but (at least appears to be) not under the masters control.

2. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Since they haven't explained him/them yet, I doubt anyone knows who they are exactly. Maybe someone who has read the books would know.

3. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I've read the books, but there's no easy way to give any info as to that character without massive spoilery exposition.

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    After what happened to the character played by Patty Duke's son, I forgave the mystery vamp for killing that girl. I figured he had good reason but it bugged me.

5. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal

Advertisements

Once you're infected, the parasite/virus thingie apparently propagates too quickly, so there's no cure. The mystery vamp saw/sensed that she had been infected, and dispatched her.

6. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    I wonder why Eph's wife didn't go 100% bestial like other vamps do. Or, if the Master somehow made that happen, how he knew to do it to her and not some other random new vampire.

7. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    When talking about the German guy, Setrakian said that the Master sometimes chooses special vamps that become like the German guy rather than like zombie-vamps. Maybe he gets to them before they go full zombie. I assume the Master chose Eph's wife to be special because he somehow knows that Eph is working against him.

8. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    Yes, but Eichhorst's transformation process looked special, while Eph's wife got it the normal way.
    Even if he knows who Eph is, how does he know how she's related to Eph?

9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Doesn't it take a at least a couple of days for that to happen? Look how long it took the rock singer and lawyer to change completely. I just assumed not enough time had passed.

10. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Dude, he's The Master! :D

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    My theory on the hooded guys is that they were shot with special knockout silver and somehow they got turned back perhaps by a predecessor of the German guy who is now working against the vampire cabal. They can't reverse whats happened to them but they are no longer under the control of the Master and have some resistance to the affects of sunlight.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Once a person is infected wouldn't the Master have access to their memories? At least that is what I figured.

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Oh yeah I remember him from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

14. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Watching on Sept. 21st. Last week I noticed the older woman suffering from dementia (mother of Eph's assistant/girlfriend) had her back to the camera when we saw her. Don't think we were allowed to see her face ONCE.

This week, something didn't look right when they did show her. Did they change actresses?

15. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    She looked the same to me. Spoiler for next week:

It looks like the vampire pictured in the first post makes an appearance, if the preview is any indication.

16. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Wish they would have cut the kid going to get cigarettes. Stupid stuff there, and took away from the two other more interesting storylines...

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    For a moment it looked like they were using that to get the gang-banger in with Our Gang, but nope...

18. Carlucci

Carlucci Hiding The Decline

Jan 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The Master is one of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space?

He was so cheesy looking I couldn't concentrate on the dialogue.

Some of the directorial/editing choices in this show are bizarre. Even the commercial breaks seemed to occur at really odd times in the latest episode.

19. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    I assume he will eventually join the Setrakian's group. That's certainly where the story is heading.

20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    LOL. I couldn't agree more. When they did the closeups of the Master I kept think how bad his latex mask looked. I guess they blew their budget on all of the tongue-lashing special effects so they couldn't afford a good makeup artist. I had to check and make sure I hadn't accidentally switched over to the SyFy Channel Movie of the Week by mistake.

BTW, loved the Killer Klowns reference. :D