The Spy - Netflix *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jan 2, 2020 #1 of 12
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched this series over the weekend. Stars Sasha Baron Cohen (in a serious role) playing and Israieli spy in the early 1960s who penetrates Syrian leadership. This may have been one of my favorite short series of the year. Also has Noah Emmerich (from The Americans...type cast? LOL), who plays his handler. I highly recommend this one.

2. Jan 2, 2020 #2 of 12
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I was going to watch this, but decided against it because Cohen (who I've grown tired of over the years) was in it. Maybe I should reconsider. Thanks for the recommendation.

3. Jan 2, 2020 #3 of 12
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Definitely reconsider! I feel the same way, but this is top-notch TV and he is fantastic in this show.

We *really* enjoyed it. If you liked The Americans and Homeland, you'll love The Spy.

In fact, both The Spy and Prisoners of War (which Homeland was based off of) were created by Gideon_Raff (Gideon Raff - Wikipedia)

The only thing about this show is you have to force yourself to ignore Noah Emmerich's horribly fake Israeli accent.

4. Jan 2, 2020 #4 of 12
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agree here. After awhile you completely forget that SBC is playing the lead. When Cohen plays his usual shtick cast of characters I really can't stand him, but here he's playing a very serious role, not comedic at all and he's very good (dare I say Emmy worthy?). It reminds me of Adam Sandler, who when he plays his goofy characters in the movies tailored to him can get old quick but when he plays a more serious character like in Spanglish or Reign Over Me) he's actually a darn good actor. Definitely give this a chance. And yes Noah's accent is pretty weird, but I think he's really good in this and in almost everything I've seen him do (The Americans and The Riches are two other shows that come to mind).

tivotvaddict likes this.
  5. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Watched this over the last couple wknds. Great stuff and SBC was superb. Agree that if this kind of show is your cup of tea then this is one of the best.

Steveknj likes this.
  6. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Thanks for the suggestion. One more series to add to my overloaded watch list.

I typically avoid SBC like the plague. I just can't stand him as a comedian/comedy actor. It's funny seeing Adam Sandler listed here because I feel the same way about him and Jim Carrey. There's only a couple of Adam Sandler movies I can watch, 50 first dates, and Reign over Me are it. Carrey also has that effect on me. I can barely tolerate most of his comedic movies, but put him a more serious role like the Truman Show, The Majestic, or Man in the Moon and I'd watch those every day.

7. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I think Carrey's greatest dramatic role is the sad sack in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (which also happens to be a great movie).

Craigbob likes this.
  8. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Yes he was great in that film.

9. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I feel the same way about all 3 actors but SBC was great in The Spy and it was a great show.

Steveknj likes this.
  10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Me too. Cohen made it a non-starter for me but you guys have given me a reason to watch it when I get a chance. Kinda like Adam Sandler. If he's in it, I ain't watching it.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    As I've said, much like SBC, Sandler in his non made for him goofy roles is actually quite good. Watch Reign Over Me. He's actually got pretty decent acting chops. He's supposed to be really good in his new one as well. So much so that many feel he was snubbed for an Oscar nomination. I haven't seen it yet.

12. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I too was avoiding it because of SBC but ended up watching it because of the recommendations. It was intense! Knowing it was a true story made it really hard to watch some of it. Really glad I did