The Sopranos--Where's the Russian?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, May 10, 2007.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

For everyone who watches the Sopranos and wonders what happened to the Russian that Paulie and Christopher were chasing through the Pine Barrens in season 3, don't ever expect an answer. Here's what creator David Chase has to say about it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038366_3,00.html

CHASE: They shot a guy.Who knows where he went? Who cares about some Russian? This is what Hollywood has done to America. Do you have to have closure on every little thing? Isn't there any mystery in the world? It's a murky world out there. It's a murky life these guys lead. And by the way, I do know where the Russian is. But I'll never say because so many people got so pissy about it.

If we shouldn't care about the Russian, why was is a major plot in that episode?

And yes, what has Hollywodd done to America? Damn us for expecting an ending to a story that we spent an hour being involved in. :rolleyes:

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    It's the thing I like about The Sopranos and I agree with Chase, not everything in life has closure, why does it have to happen in TV?

That was five or six years ago and you're still letting that bother you?

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    B/c it's TV, not real life that's why. I watch shows to follow a story and when something is just dropped, I wonder what the point was. I like things to be resolved. Isn't that the point of having someone else tell you a story.

No I'm not still letting it bother me but I just saw this article and decided to address it.

4. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    The point was that they screw up sometimes and let someone get away. There is that closure enough for you?

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

No. I think it's weak writing. That Russian was in the Russian mafia so if he did get away, like you say, shouldn't there have been some retaliation? But there never was.

6. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI
    To me it's always been obvious, he died in the woods. What else could it have been? If he survived, the Russians would have come after Paulie and Christopher. Now for the first few shows after, I expected something to happen. I'm sure P and C did too, then they forgot about it.

7. ejasons

ejasons New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Beaverton,...
    So there's your answer...

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Except they never found a body, the footprints and blood just ended and they lost his trail.

9. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    I appreciate that you bothered to post that to try to bring some closure.

Whether I buy it is another matter.

Isn't Chase part of the same Hollywood he derides?

But if it makes Mr. Chase feel any better the only reason I am still watching The Soprano's at this point is that the series has taken up so much of my life - in terms of hours, that what is 9 more at this point?

You see Mr. Chase, I want closure. You only have a claim on four more hours of my life.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    It always cracks me up when people bring up the "Russian in the Woods".

11. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I think he's living off the land, and I personally am anxiously awaiting the morning cartoon show "Ruskie in the woods"

12. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    What a strange statement by Chase. If the Russian was only useful to show that somethings don't have closure then Chase wouldn't "know" where the Russian is, the Russian simply would not exist anymore. By knowing "where the Russian is", it makes it sound like Chase has a use for him before the show ends.

Hmmm, maybe the last episode will have the Russian wake up in the woods and complain about a dream he just had... ;)

13. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well maybe after this thread, you won't have to hear about it anymore. My point in starting this was to let people know that Chase has an explanation but will never reveal it. Maybe people will stop talking about it now.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    He doesn't know, he basically is laughing at people who care, that's why it's even funnier that he said he knows :)

15. Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    That they would not explain it was old news several years ago. Chase has always maintained he would not go back and deal with the Russian. It's actually one of the things I like about the show, you never know what is foreshadowing and what is something that will lead nowhere. Kinda like real life where not everything that happens winds up being significant. It is quite different from other shows where key clues are telegraphed so that the foreshadowing is completely obvious.

16. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    He's dead, Jim.

17. Chibbie

Chibbie New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Lexington, KY
    DO NOT, under any circumstances, watch the show "LOST"! :D

18. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Well, we'll see about Lost...

Personally, I didn't think Russian in the Sopranos episode was the point of the story. I thought it was about Christopher and Paulie getting lost in the woods. The Russian was just the Plot Device to get them out there.

19. Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    Add to the list of "loose ends that went nowhere" ***SPOILER IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED LAST NIGHT***

christopher shooting JT

Remains to be seen if Bobby losing his shirt during his hit in Canada earlier in the season means anything long term.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It was sloppy story telling. Chase screwed up and is getting pissy and petulant with people who continually ask about his screwup. That's how I see it.