The Sopranos - It's been twenty years *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jan 6, 2019 #1 of 55
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This Thursday Jan 10 will mark the twenty year anniversary of The Sopranos premiere - Jan 10 1999. The show "that changed TV", and was credited by many as the start of The Golden Age of TV. Hard to believe it's been that long.

I happened to notice that HBO started running a Sopranos marathon a few days ago. One season a day (today is S3 or S4). I decided to record them all, not sure why, as I had no intention of re-watching it. Watched the pilot, and of course was immediately hooked. Watched several episodes last night. I had forgotten how absolutely addicting this show is. I could not pull away. And for the most part, other than a smidgen of technology changes*, it's not dated.

Episodes move fast, Tony is a mesmerizing character (damn but Gandolfino was great), and you realize how important Dr. Melfi was to this series. And everyone was so young! It's been long enough that while I remember the broad strokes of the series, I don't remember enough detail to keep spoiling myself as I watch.

I watch a lot of TV, but have never re-watched an entire series (AFAIK). Just too much Peak TV. But I'm going to try to find the time for this, it's just too good. Although with the new TV season starting back, it's going to be a challenge. For those of you in the TCF Trivia Challenge, expect this as a topic next time I admin. :D

Spoilers allowed for any episode, but not for other series (there was a thread a few years ago discussing an older series, where several posters made comparisons to other series, inadvertently posting spoilers).

* They did have early cell phones (not smartphones), and the Internet/Web was around, so at least it's not like some older series where the total absence of cell phones stands out.

2. Jan 6, 2019 #2 of 55
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I've had it listed as a 1Pass 'streaming only' for about a year and never bothered streaming it on HBOGO. Also caught the S1E1 on the HBO2 marathon, ended up re-watching most of S1, and also edited my 1Pass to record all it.

Not sure if I'll re-watch all of it, but watched 2 eps of S2 this morning.

(I also forgot about the continuity error of Tony selling his mom's house in S1 and it not being sold in S2)

3. Jan 6, 2019 #3 of 55
    skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    two years ago, I re-watched the entire series on Amazon. And while I remember allot of it...... There was allot I did not remember.
    The Sopranos is one of those "if I was marooned on a desert island" (that and breaking bad/call saul, the rockford files..... and i love lucy)
    If You have not seen The Sopranos ever since the original air date..... I think you will enjoy it almost as much as you did then..... Especially the THEME SONG.... You Woke Up This Morning, Got Yourself A Gun.

4. Jan 6, 2019 #4 of 55
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    [QUOTE="skypros, post: 11693657, member: 301342"
    The Sopranos is one of those "if I was marooned on a desert island" (that and breaking bad/call saul, the rockford files..... and i love lucy)[/QUOTE]

and The Shield, The Wire,...

5. Jan 6, 2019 #5 of 55
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Halfway thru S1...

* I have forgotten enough that it's almost all new. Other than broad strokes.

* Didn't remember Tony expressing his feelings for Dr. Melfi ("I love you") quite so... verbally.

* Edie Falco is amazing. She's asked to do a thousand different characters (wife, mother, mob boss wife, jealous, loving, etc), and nails every one.

* Nancy Marchand is similarly amazing. The woman was literally on her death bed, and she just steals every scene she's in. I didn't remember her being such a central character, probably because she left so early in the series run, so her memory and scenes faded.

6. Jan 6, 2019 #6 of 55
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Never watched it, but have seen it listed in HBOGo and thought about watching it several times.

7. Jan 6, 2019 #7 of 55
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I still remember quite a bit of it, but haven't watched it in a while. Somewhat like Star Trek: TOS I guess.

I'm sure if I sat and started watching again it would come back to me pretty quickly, some parts more than others, but it would come streaming back for sure.

I wish that we hadn't seen the passing of the main character as I would have loved to see a follow-up movie that took us some years and events down the road. I think I've heard there may be some sort of follow-up that involves the "next generation" but I don't know that I'd much care for that.

At some point down the road I will definitely sit and watch it again. After getting through a backlog of other content that I really do want to get through :up:

8. Jan 7, 2019 #8 of 55
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To me that's one of those weird quirks about "modern TV" in that the series has been available On Demand and on HBO GO for years, but just flipping channels and noticing that it's playing on HBO2 made some of us start to watch. It's funny that I'll go on Netflix and though there's tons of content, often I just can't find something I want to watch, but flipping around channels the old school way, I'll stop and watch The Sopranos (or I noticed Animal House was on Sundance and I watched a bit, even though I have the DVD, and it's probably available streaming some where). Is this a practice that will go way now?

Anyway, I watched bits and pieces of the series all weekend when I just was flipping around in between shows, or during beaks in the NFL games. I had forgotten how great it was.

9. Jan 7, 2019 #9 of 55
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    and The Shield, The Wire,...[/QUOTE]

Well The Sopranos would be on my list, none of the others, but I'd add Seinfeld, Lost, The Americans, and Game of Thrones.

Have we ever done that thread? Really, it would just be another name your favorite shows but still...

10. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I re-watched The X-Files last year and was also surprised how much of that still help up 25 years later. Good stuff endures.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I recall a lot of what happened in the Sopranos, but forgot the why and how.

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is absolutely me. I never watch OD, and only recently started a little Netflix, but if it's on my DVR, which meant it was somehow broadcast, then I'll watch it. I'll find a way, and the time, to watch all 86 Sopranos episodes in the next few weeks. But The West Wing, which I never saw and have wanted to watch for decades... I've been watching on Netflix, and with five episodes left, it's only taken me (so far) 20 months to watch.

Definitely some type of personality disorder (speaking for myself, of course :p:D).

13. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Are you talking about Tony Soprano? Because nobody knows for sure if he's dead or not. I don't care how many oranges were in the scene or if the door chime did or didn't ring.

But if you're talking about James Gandolfini, he's most certainly dead.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The West Wing....yeah, I've been saying I want to watch that for years. but it's just so daunting to find the time to sit and watch. Old school 23 episode seasons and there are 8-10 seasons? On top of everything else I want to watch, I doubt I'll ever get to it (I've watched a couple of episodes, but always end up going to watch something else). And I've said I can only watch an episode or two at a time of Sorkin, his dialogue cadence starts to bug me after awhile.

But yeah, I'm an old school, hog the remote, channel flipper. These days I'll flip and find something interesting to watch, see when it's on again, and then record it in full. I did that this weekend. I was flipping around and found this show about taking a cruise to Aruba, which I'm doing in October, so it interested me so I recorded it to watch in full.

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    NYT 1/7/19: David Chase on ‘The Sopranos,’ Trump and, Yes, That Ending

After years of resisting mob-show pitches, he is now working on a “Sopranos” prequel feature film called “The Many Saints of Newark,” which will be set in the title city in the 1960s and involve the father of Christopher Moltisanti (the “Sopranos” character played by Michael Imperioli). It will likely come out in 2020, Chase said.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm re-watching it now, from the beginning--it still holds up. The writing is first rate, of course, the music a 10, the photography superb (the first episode's closing shot, going high overhead in the Oval Office, showing the president seated at his desk), and the acting is, wow--seeing actors incline* their head slightly or do a slight nod followed by a raised eyebrow, I keep wondering how much of these slightest of mechanics are planned by the artists or whether they are organic.

* (Humorously, the website censor just forbad me from using the expression, "c*cking one's head.")

17. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I believe that’s exactly what they mean - no James Gandolfini to play Tony.

18. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, it's quite ambiguous in their OP:

The main character was Tony Soprano. Who is neither dead nor alive. Or dead and alive, depending on your beliefs.

But if terpfan had said "the passing of the leading actor" then it would have been completely unambiguous.

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Schrodinger's cat

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yes, thanks for pointing out my reference. I didn't think I needed to actually explain it.