"The Society" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoknucklehead, May 21, 2019.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    5 episodes in. my favorite new Netflix original of the year so far

cliffs: class of high school seniors go on an overnight field trip. due to bad weather the buses return to their home town, but everyone has vanished, they can't leave town and they can't communicate with anyone outside the local group.

modern day "Lord of the Flies" where they have to form a new "government". lots of provocative story lines

2. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I was intrigued after watching the first episode. My wife thought it was trash.

May I ask a question? How did the bus drivers get out after dropping the kids off?

3. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

lol, that was not shown. and forget your wife, this show is worth watching, she can watch something else

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Your wife is a good judge of this show.

Beryl likes this.
  5. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

33% of 3800 imdb voters give it a 9 or 10 out of 10, and 6% give it a 1 like yourself. To each his own

6. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You are not as good a judge of this show as uncdrew's wife. To each his own.

7. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I'm always up for something with a mystery/sci-fi angle, unfortunately most of them are lousy. Will prolly give this a try this wknd.

8. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I thought it looked meh after watching the trailer. May have to give it a look after all.

9. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

1300 people gave it a 9 or a 10. since you insist on trolling in here, did you even watch one full episode?

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sounds like an interesting premise. I'll add it to the other dozen shows I want to watch on Netflix and Amazon (and Hulu once THT begins airing again)

11. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Yes I've watched the first episode and started the second; will finish the second eventually, it just became a lot lower priority based on the first being so terrible. Might even watch a third since comments seem to indicate "it gets better" (probably mostly because there's very little ways it really could get worse). But it's averaging a 6.8/10 from those who've reviewed it. It amuses me how you quote the statistics in a way making it seem much more favorably rated. :) But what matters (for you) is whether you like it or not. Some people like what others consider dreck, et. al. There's even whole cult followings for terrible shows and movies, because they're so terrible they're funny in ways. Still doesn't mean it's a good show; only potentially popular to some segment. The show is of a very overdone genre with very stupid characters or stupid writing -- not quite sure exactly which it actually is, or if it may even make a difference.

"Trolling" is not what you apparently think it is. Posting an unfavorable comment about a show is not trolling. Nor is posting favorable comments. Though I might at this point consider your posts to be more trolling than actually comments so far, since you seem more interested in commenting about my comments than about the show. BTW, I never gave it a "1". Offhand can't think of a show I'd give a "1" out of "10" to; I have to look through some lists to refresh my memory. But it's certainly not much, if any, higher than a 4 right now, from what I've seen. What drives me towards hating it so much is the poorly-written drivel coming out of the mouths of many of the characters as the writers try to plagiarize things from movies like Lord of the Flies.

12. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Lol I don’t care if you watch it. But what I said was true a lot of people liked it and it becomes very intriguing, mainly watching a new “society “ form. And 6.8 is hardly garbage territory. Maybe it’s not Citizen Kane but I like it

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I haven’t heard of this until just now, and have not seen it at all, but I can predict how it will turn out ... in the spoiler ...
    It turns out that they all died during the bad weather and are now existing in an alternate dimension/limbo.

Now I’ll actually check out this series to see how accurate my prediction was. :)

14. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Saw the trailer and read the description, is it similar to the TV series Between?

15. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I watched Between and the only similarity is those people died at age 21 from a virus and the government quarantined them would not let them leave. I find this series far more interesting

16. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I didn't know this was coming until about a week before the release. The premise sounded very interesting. I think I started watching it on release weekend, which I rarely do.

I think I'm 4 episodes in. I don't really care very much about any character on the show - they just aren't likable, enjoyable, or even interesting. So, I'm not really invested in the show. I'll give it another episode or two, or maybe just finish it out as background noise while doing something else.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Now that I've burned through the 10 episodes, I'll give 'em points for being a much better written and acted show than I expected (prepared to bail early if it was similar to "The Event" or "Under the Dome").

It irritated me that most of the actors & actresses would pause before mentioning someone's name at the end of a sentence, which happened frequently in every episode and by most of the main characters. e.g., "Where are you going <pause> Cassandra?" "I just got a text <pause> Grizz." "Would you like some water <pause> Allie?" UGH!!

And as far as my prediction just four posts earlier (see above) ...
    It appears that I nailed it!

18. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Don't hang around me. Due to my anomic aphasia, that's pretty much what my speech pattern is if I can't recall the name I need before I get to the end of the sentence.

--Carlos "has forgotten his own name many a time" V.

19. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    3 episodes in and I’m at this place. Not horrible but not holding my attention.

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I first noticed it when it happened a second time. then it was a third, then a fourth, and on & on ... I initially attributed it to the actor/actress struggling to recall the character’s name instead of the actor’s name, but it was happening with almost every cast member who spoke. That got me to thinking about how often we refer to someone’s name at the END of a sentence directed at that person. Turns out, not so often! It’s not really that big of a deal for me, but writing it out here just makes it seem to be a bigger deal. The cast of young actors did a great job, and I’m sure we will be seeing a lot of them in future projects.

Last edited: May 24, 2019