The Singing Bee premiere 7/10/2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scottjf8, Jul 11, 2007.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX

Advertisements

God, I'm 20 minutes into this show and am ready to put a bullet in my mouth.

Brutal.

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I agree - B-B-o'-S! Stumbled on it, had heard about it, OK, give it a try.

That's about 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back - but I won't lose any more time to that show. And this will be one of those that the network doesn't decide to die a FAST, merciful death!

I haven't seen the Fox version (don't even think it aired yet), but it really cracks me up that they raced to get these on the air - hilarious! :D

3. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I actually found it a little interesting but only because I used to do a LOT of CD music compilations for a job I once had and I know the words to just about every song since 1976. Or at least I thought I did. I was surprised at how often I was off by a word or two. Anyway, I thought it was kinda fun, and we set up a season pass for it. We'll see if it can retain it's "fun" for another week or two. :D

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I liked it.

I was singing along with them, and sometimes made the same mistakes they did.

Definately a keeper for me.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....

Advertisements

This is not a personal attack and certainly not to say that you aren't entitled to enjoy whatever floats your boat, but as long as the networks keep pumping out shows like this and "Age of Love" and "Meet your New Mommy" and "The Apprentice" etc. (ad nauseum) and people keep gobbling it up, the networks will continue to have an incredibly itchy trigger finger when it comes to any kind of scripted programming.

Why invest time and money into a scripted program to give it a chance to find an audience and the ratings you want when you can can that and throw something like this on that costs much less and find the marginal audience it needs? Then no calling, "Burn in Hell" when the new show you were getting into gets canned after four weeks and they throw on "Thank God You're Here" instead.

6. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Hi:
    I'm a music fanatic and do photoplays, dvds, cds, have nearly 1000 cds...so, I kind of liked the show. We were laughing trying to figure out the lyrics, singing along with some of the songs and, overall, enjoyed the 30 mintes or so.

I like the idea, but some of the contestants were annoying. Glad the 4th grade teacher one.

I was hoping they give us bogus lyrics and have us figure out what song they belong to or something like that. I'll watch a few times more, but it could get tiring fast...we'll see.

e.g. "I'll never leave your pizza burnin'" wrong lyrics to......"I'll never be your beast of burdern"...that kind of thing could be fun.

7. ced6

ced6 kharmawesome expert

Jul 30, 2003
    Morgantown, WV
    :up: +1

I did, on the other hand, realize that though I can sing along to a lot of songs, I can't remember the lyrics when left on my own.

8. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I actually enjoyed this show. I'm glad it's only 30 minutes long, since a longer show would probably be quite tedious. I did think that the show was great as background entertainment while I was otherwise working on a project, kind of like singing along with the radio, combined with the amusement of misunderstood lyrics (although not as entertaining as "Excuse me while I kiss this guy").

9. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The Fox version comes on tonight at 9:30 I believe - Wayne Brady is the host.

I missed last night's show and forgot to set the TiVo, but my wife caught some of it and said it was horrible.

On the missed lyrics thing, who could forget the two Elton John classics...

"Hold me closer, Tony Danza"

and

"Someone shaved my wife tonight"

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I thought it was highly cheesy, but entertaining. Knowing most of the songs and lyrics it is interesting to see how you compare.

The good thing is it goes by very quickly. Just good fluff.

I suspect those claiming this was brutal, will see what brutal is with Foxes version.

11. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I actually like all those shows you mentioned (jurys still out on Age of Love though). :)
    I don't much care for most of the scripted dramas anymore. Especially not "Cop" scripted dramas with the word "Law and Order" or "CSI" in the title. Except maybe SVU and the OG "Las Vegas"... I already know all the plots and can tell you "who done it' in the first five minutes. I much prefer watching bad reality shows over bad scripted shows. ;)

At any rate, I think there's room for both types of shows. It sounds like you don't like reality TV but lot's of us LOVE reality TV and I'm not ashamed to admit it! It's good stuff. I especially like the the singing, cooking, modeling, and talent competitions. I find them fun and engaging for the whole family. We all sit together and make comments about the people and get really involved in reality shows in way that we can't with a scripted drama.

12. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Definitely needs improvement but the 30 mins do seem to fly by.

They were really picky with the wording. Even filler words like "well" or "oh" had to be perfect. I think even the original singer might get their own song wrong sometimes considering how they like to mix up their own songs in concert. Maybe they forget which version they put on their record.

At any rate, these people did not have to work very hard for $50K. I guess my mindset is still stuck in the old game show days where winning over $10K was a big deal.

13. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    One thing that I did like about it was that they played against other contestants and not "the house". Almost all the game shows recently have been a single contestant who wins money based on how long they can last in the game.

I also thought the bouncing bee when they were singing was kinda funny. It wasn't a great show, but still a fun 20 minutes.

14. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    add me to the "brutal" list.

several observations:
    1: the show following the "annoying is gold" philosophy in choosing contestants. I wonder if the contestants are prepicked, or if fatone is truly randomly picking people out of the audience

2. first round: kinda sucks to be last. and do they have to sing the lead up every single time? if they are just going to use the same song, they could skip the intro part.

3. contestants doing too much dancing around, trying to be characters... then aren't paying attention to the song. i wonder if there is some kind of time limit, and how on tune or rhythm you have to be. i would take a few seconds to think, and say the words slowly. especially during the scramble round, when all the words are there in front of you.

i'll watch fox's tonite.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I've watched Survivor from Season 1. The Amazing Race since Season 2 (and caught S1 on GSN, I think it was). I was a huge fan of Whose Line is it Anyway? I've been watching America's Got Talent, On the Lot, Last Comic Standing, Pirate Master, and American Idol. I've watched others over the years and even watched all seasons of The Apprentice.

I don't mind some reality shows. I don't at all watch the 'matchmaking' shows, spouse swapping, etc.

I prefer watching real actors doing shows (drama, comedy, many different flavors). Where I really get a bad taste in my mouth for the slough of reality shows is when they air them too much and at the expense of some shows that I would much rather see. Drive, Studio 60, just a bunch of the shows that have had discussion threads here where the network pulls the plug after a few weeks and that's it. Sorry, Charlie.

Just my preference and I'm obviously in the minority given what is airing on network TV. I'm OK with that. I'll get my fix of shows I like from the 'cable' networks. Just a shame to see the networks go in the direction they're heading.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked it. Thought it was fun and wished I could be a contestant. I'd be good at something like this. However, I thought it was dumb that the band stopped playing when they wanted the contestants to sing. They should have just had the singers stop singing but the band continue on. That would have made the horrible contestant signing a little more tolerable.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Just for the record, this is not a "reality" show
    - this is a game show.

Quite frankly, I'd still rather watch reruns of What's My Line and To Tell the Truth on the GSN -

or better yet - as the other thread running today:
    CASH CAB.
    Now THAT's a good game show.

18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    It is 10000x better than the fox show.

I had to stop watching the fox show 7 minutes in.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It was ok.. but as I'm saying a lot lately, I watched it on my Toshiba recorder so I could go through the non-competition parts at 1.5x with sound. (I dubbed it from my Tivo, since I had been recording something else on the Toshiba while it was on.)

I don't care if it's cancelled tomorrow, but it was vaguely entertaining.

20. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I'd be very, very surprised if there's anything random about the people Joey picked out of the audience. (Game shows such as "Let's Make a Deal" and "The Price Is Right" have all of their contestants picked in advance, even though it may look like the host or announcer is pulling them out at random.)