The Singing Bee - 7/17/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Again, this was kind of fun just to sing along and see if you knew the words, but it still seemed rushed and unpolished. And did they change the format a little from the first week? I don't remember them getting "points" for each correct word in the semi-final round the first week. I think that was actually the best part of this week, because they actually got to continue singing the song even if they screwed up.

As for the final jackpot thing, there are seven songs. You get $5,000 for each one you get right. If you get five right, you win $50,000. But if you get three strikes, you lose all your money. Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I'm not seeing how this could have any outcome other than $50,000 or zero. Either you get five right and win the big jackpot or you get three strikes and win nothing. Therefore, the $5,000 per song that gets bumped up if you get to five is pointless.

2. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    I just replayed the part where Fatone explains the rules to the contestant. The last thing he says is, "... if you get three strikes, the game is over."

How does that translate to "you go home with nothing?"

This "final countdown" thing seems to be their version of the money ladder on other game shows. So I would think that if the person happens to get the first song right then blows the next three, the jackpot would only be $5,000.

Part of the problem is there's only been two episodes shown and both times the contestant got the required five songs so we haven't seen any other outcome.

3. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I guess you're right. I didn't even think of the possibility that after three strikes you'd get to keep what you've earned to that point. I guess I've been watching too much "Cash Cab," where three strikes means you lose all your winnings and have to get out of the cab.

4. SDTivoJoe

SDTivoJoe Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Prefer Wayne Brady in Fox's Dont Forget the Lyrics.

Wayne is little more polished, and funnier than Joey Fatone. Plus I prefer their game format.

5. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

Do you also prefer when Wayne asks over and over if that's their final answer and they only have enough time to do like 4.5 songs? (it's .5 because of course you have to "tune in next time" to find out if the person finally decides to lock in their answer. :p)

I still think both shows need work and that a modern Name that Tune would kill both of these shows.

6. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    My friend does the promos for this show. He said the format changes slightly over the first four shows before they start hitting their stride.

I love they Honey Bees, but they can lose "The Final Countdown".

7. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They're just copying "Arrested Development" anyway. :D

It's nice to see a game show with a regular-sized top cash prize that is actually winnable, as opposed to all the other shows out there that are supposedly giving away MILLION$ OF DOLLAR$!!!!ONE!! but have rules such that the contestant would be stupid to try to go for the higher-level money amounts.

8. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

Where's the wind machine?

:D

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Although it's not at all uncommon on those other shows to get to the $100-300k range, whereas this show's max is $50k. At least the $50k in this show seems to be relatively easy to win if you know your music.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah for me this show is actually entertaining the get to a lot of songs in the course of the show.

It is good to see they are mixing up the games as well. That bodes well for the future.

The Who Wants to be a Millionaire format wore me out 8 years ago.

This is a simple cheesy game show where they designed a game to best accentuate the point of the game and that is song lyrics. It is not a game show where King of Copy said, Hey NBC is doing a lyrics show, make one like it but put it in millionaire format. People love that stuff. (Which I can GUARANTEE you is not far off from exactly what happened to get the Fox show rolling.)

Singing Song Lyrics should be fun, not some heightened sense of fake drama that spills over week to week.

I was happy to see the ratings last week had Singing Bee getting almost twice the viwers of the Fox Show.