The Simpsons - OAD 12/11 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gerryex, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Hi ALL,

Yes, I know The Simpsons are not as good as they were years ago, but they are still better than most of the crap on TV lately. While I might have missed an episode or so over the years I probably saw every episode that was shown.

That being said I truly though last night's episode was the best they have had in a long time. I always like any show that dabbles with either time travel (like in the Family Guy) or just showing what will happen in the future. As the photos where being shown from one year to the next I had to pause a few times to see what was happening. There was one year when Lisa went "goth" and then another where she had a couple of girl friends. I thought that was quite funny.

One other thing I thought stood out. Maggie became a famous singer yet we never heard her voice. Because the Dr said the umbilical cord had something do with the vocal cord (they discovered this in the future) Maggie had to keep silent during the pregnancy. Then after she delivers the baby and comes to Ma and Pa Simpsons' home someone asks her who the father is and just as she is about to say something Grand Pa Simpson tells her it doesn't matter. So we never hear her voice!

I believe there was one time during the course of the series that Maggie said one word: Daddy. And it was voiced Elizabeth Taylor. EDIT: According to Wikipedia that was the first word she spoke within the series. It seems she also spoke at least once when the Simpsons were filler shorts between sketches on the Tracey Ullman show.

Anyway, a very good episode!

Gerry

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I agree, I enjoyed this episode too.
    Loved how Bart lived at home for so long, and after all her phases Lisa ended up with Milhouse.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Other than Lisa becoming president, many items fit in with other future shows. The Maggie is a great singer joke has been done before. She was called a hellion with the voice of an angel in a previous episode. I guess president Lisa is later after a divorce from Milhouse and Bart becomes a Supreme Court justice even later.

4. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004

She also talk after the credits in the movie. She goes and says "sequel".

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I actually DIDN'T laugh very much at this episode. But I still enjoyed it, because I too like episodes that show us what happens in the future... especially for shows like this that "hit the reset button" at the end of practically every episode.

I had to watch the couch gag a BUNCH of times, focusing on different characters each time, sometimes on slowmo.

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I enjoyed the episode and it is one from the last few years that I will keep on tivo for awhile to rewatch.

It was interesting that they turned the school into Bart's apartment - was the whole school like that or just one room? that could be a way for govt to make some cheap housing money.

I didn't think that Bart having kids that were nerdy/smart followed the Male Simpson Stupid gene - if they had been girls it would have worked, but I thought we saw in one episode that male simpsons were not quite smart and girls were smart.

I liked Lisa's daughter being smart enough to have stuff in her room that made her mom happy but the party was going on in the closet, that seemed like a Bart thing.

It was fun to see other characters age also. Nelson the taxi driver, Abu's 8 kids having 8 kids, and such.

7. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I think the sign outside said "The Lofts at Springfield Elementary," so I'm pretty sure it's the entire school.

They did (in "Lisa the Simpson"), but in some cases, it takes time for the gene to kick in.

That's Apu - Abu is the monkey in Aladdin.
    Also, Kearney (the bald one of the three bullies - he does sound like Nelson on occasion) was the taxi driver, not Nelson.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Well, I wasn't really awake when I wrote that post. I said Apu in my mind but didn't reach my fingers (I have never seen Aladdin).

It may have been more fun to have Lisa marry Nelson rather than Milhouse.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I had exactly the opposite reaction. For the first time ever, I seriously considered deleting the show after only watching about 5 minutes.
    I liked the photos, but the rest of the show was terrible. It was just one stupid future or future technology gag after another.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes but they also had an episode where they said that Homer's intellectual problems are due to the fact he has a crayon shoved into his brain.
    When it was removed, he became pretty smart.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I thought this was one of the better ones (lately). During the "annual xmas card photo shoot" scene at the beginning, I put my TiVo on slo-mo so I could enjoy each passing year.

12. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    That episode had one of my absolute favorite lines of the entire series: "Hey Flanders! I was working on a flat tax proposal this morning and I accidentally proved there is no God."

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    :D Love.it

I enjoyed the ep. I like the future stuff they do with the grown up kids. Since they will never grow up, it's cool to see what they come up with. Loved the thing about never hearing Maggie speak and the irony of her becoming a famous singer.

I've been a fan since the Tracey Ullman days and there have been ups and downs (which, I know, goes without saying), but they've held up pretty well for a show with an over 20 year span.

14. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I did that yesterday before deleting the episode. Definitely worth rewatching. :)

15. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    I found a very long picture that has each of the Simpsons' Christmas card photos from this episode.

[​IMG]

16. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I didn't notice the first time through the couch changing. That was a nice touch.

My favorite was Bart with the hat looking just like Homer. Matching up nicely to the old episode where Grandpa pulls his face to eliminate his wrinkles and also looks just like Homer.

17. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    I saw on wikipedia that this was episode 495. I can't believe this show is coming up on its 500th episode.

18. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the pic, Fleegle. Very cool to see it like this.

19. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Wow, the evolution of that ship painting... I knew it changed, but didn't realize it went from one with small sails to large sails, to a yacht, then space ship...

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    That is cool. Interesting to see the changes. I chuckled at Lisa not looking so happy in her wedding dress but then happier when she was pregnant.