The Simpsons 4/10/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by rolybert, Apr 11, 2011.

1. rolybert

rolybert tunafish smells weird

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Was there really no opening sequence and couch gag or did Dish Network just mess up?

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I didn't see one. I went to the end of my American Dad recording, then the beginning of my Simpsons recording and carefully went through all the commercials between the two and I don't think there was an opening sequence at all. Very strange.

3. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    You guys...

There was one, but it disappeared....

It was ....

MAGIC! :p:D

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume the time was taken up by the Hop or whatever movie promo they had..

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I actually went back and ran it twice to make sure I didn't miss it. There was nothing to miss.

:up:

6. rolybert

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    What I want to know is.

Was that really Tellers voice? The end credits did say Penn and Teller.

7. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    didn't sound like it, he has a heavier accent, but it's been a couple years since i've seen them, so it could have been

8. rolybert

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Yep Penn's voice is unmistakable, but never having seen Teller talk live I could never tell you. Perhaps contractually they have to give credit to Penn and Teller if they reference the act even if it is not Tellers voice.

9. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    could be for using his likeness

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But why would they use Penn's real voice and the real voice of all the other magicians and give credit to all of them, but then use someone else to play the voice of Teller? I could see if they didn't have Teller talk in the show, just like in their act, but if he's going to talk in the show, it makes sense that it would be his voice.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Teller does talk in the movie Penn and Teller Get Killed.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There was no opening credits anywhere - the "Created By" and "Developed By" credits that normally appear on the TV screen in the opening appeared at the start of the show as captions (the way the other producers, writer, and director credits appear).

As for Teller, he talked quite a bit in a 1990s documentary (Discovery Channel, I think) on magic. (Teller was also credited as the "magic consultant".) It's possible that they got one of the "regulars" to do his voice (usually, they bring in Maurice LaMarche to do "celebrity" voices, but he didn't mention anything on Facebook; besides, since so few people know what Teller sounds like, they could have used pretty much anybody).

I was a little surprised they got four prominent magicians to lend their names and voices to a show that exposes a version of the Milk Can Escape, though.

13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was more surprised that these magicians lent their likenesses and voices to an episode that so clearly trashed on one of their own, Criss Angel. Maybe he's not very well liked in the magic community, but that still doesn't seem like the type of angle they'd take.

14. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    wow, the only magicians I knew were penn & teller and copperfield. I thought the other guys were made up.

15. rolybert

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    +1 especially The Great Simpsina:eek::D

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Why?
    The secret behind the Milk Can Escape is pretty well known.
    I read about it in a biography on Houdini over 30 years ago.
    (The Simpsons' take was fairly accurate.)

And it's not like Penn and Teller haven't exposed the secret behind certain tricks before.

17. rolybert

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Got this response from Fox

We were just as curious. The producers have not given us any reason for this - we have a call into them, but they haven't called us back yet. Our guess is the episode came in long and they didn't want to cut any of it out - so they dropped the theme song to get extra time for the show itself

18. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Yeah, this is my favorite one.

19. rolybert

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Got another email from FOX and yes that is the reason there was no opening sequence. James L and Matt have disappointed me. They could have found 30 seconds somewhere to cut:p:p

They owe me a couch gag:p:p:D

20. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Or 5 seconds -- they could have done just the "The Simpsons" title, nothing else. That's been done before on a number of episodes, although I can't remember if they've done it since the switch to HD (and the accompanying new opening titles).

Also, I'm pretty sure James L. Brooks and Matt Groening are too busy counting money to be doing any of the editing. :D Presumably, it was the ultimate decision of the show runner, Al Jean.