The Shield S7E01 9/2/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JohnB1000, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1 of 48
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004

Advertisements

No HD and I noticed it :(

A reasonable episode, for me they have really lost the momentum with the long gap and shortish seasons (how many eps this season ?).

I both like and am confused by the fact that so little "show time" passes between seasons. We can only be a year or two along from Season 1 can't we ?

Good setup today, some funnies to, Billings was great :) I also loved the guy confessing cause he was protected by Final Jeopardy :D

Wondering where Danni's attack is going to lead. Cool to see Ronnie continue to step up. Much less cool to see Corinne and Mara whining :thumbsdown:

2. Sep 3, 2008 #2 of 48
    Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    I thought some of the acting was a little off last night. It was still good and with this being the final season, I am looking forward to how it all will pan out..

3. Sep 3, 2008 #3 of 48
    danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Maybe its just been so long but the footage looked...different. Less professional perhaps. I don't remember it being that way.

After watching this episode I realized just how much I have forgotten since the show was last on. I need to go back and watch from when Lem bit it to the present. All in all this was a good episode. I was just a little lost at times.

They have established consistently that Tina has been an awful cop. She continually messes up and puts other lives on the line. SHE was supposed to clear the room and her failure to do so almost got Danni killed.

That blood line was NASTY. Its hard to believe that people actually do that.

4. Sep 3, 2008 #4 of 48
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm not sure but Shane's kid sure did look grown up to me. Any guesses on how old he is? Wasn't it season 2 or 3 when he met Mara? Then it would be at least another 9 months from there before he was even born.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #5 of 48
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan

Advertisements

Same here. I think I may go back and revisit the threads from last season or maybe even find some episode recaps. I was completely lost on some of the storylines.

This may be a contributing factor to why I haven't been enjoying the last few seasons as much as I did the first few.

6. Sep 3, 2008 #6 of 48
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I don't get FX-HD but the analog quality looked terrible on last night's episode. The brightness kept going up and down. There was the scene where Vic walked out of the store (after crashing the car into it) ... it started out bright and then suddenly got real dark, like the camera was compensating for the light change. Really strange and distracting (I guess it could have been my FX feed from Brighthouse, too).

Yeah, this was hard to get back into after the long wait ...

7. Sep 3, 2008 #7 of 48
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Glad it wasn't just me. I thought the picture was bad, at one point the light just seemed to drop off from the picture like when you auto fix a photo in Photoshop. I don't watch much SP these days but I am now realizing this was worse than normal.

8. Sep 3, 2008 #8 of 48
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    It was an ok episode, maybe the long break just killed it for me. I spent most of the episode trying to remember what happen last season.

9. Sep 3, 2008 #9 of 48
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The brightness was indeed weird. I thought the picture quality during the properly bright scenes was pretty good, though.

I spent most of the time trying to explain what happened in the prior seasons to my GF.

Overall I think the show needs to pick it up a bit. I think they could have done a better job of easing us back into the plot instead of trying to make everything super tense immediately. It didn't work for me as well as it should have. Did Claudette have a new hair color?

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But The Shield has always been like that--they go for a "video verité" look.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature." :D

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Yup, I believe it's all shot with hand helds, it has always had a gritty, unpolished look to it.

I think if you go back and watch previous seasons you'll see the same things that are driving folks nuts now.

12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I agree they've always done that, but last night's was particularly bad. I, too, noticed the brightness go up when Vic went into the room. It's possible FX was running some sort of on-the-fly image enhancement on the feed last night.

Another thing I've noticed all along with The Shield is that sometimes it has a hyper-video look, almost HD quality (obviously not, but a real high quality for SD), while other times it looks like it was shot on VHS. Then they'll lower the frame rate during action scenes so it's grainy and movement is strange (it's hard to explain this effect, they used it during the action scenes in Saving Private Ryan).

I personally didn't have a problem getting back into the show last night. Billings was hilarious, although I can't understand why he'd want to stick around. Wyms DID give him the option to quit. I suppose he really wants to keep his pension.

Ronnie's murdering the guy. I wonder now if he might go down the same path Shane did now? BTW, did you guys notice the scars on his face? Last season after he shaved his beard they weren't putting them on, but now they are. Kudos for that.

Greg

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was interesting that, for the first time, he behaved like an effective cop. And the way they tricked him into doing it was to appeal to his ego as a police officer...something I don't think we've ever seen a trace of before.

Is it me, or was everybody on the show as surprised to see that as I was?

14. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Dutch and Claudette weren't. They trapped him into being a real cop so they could get him to drop his case.

15. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    You know, I think just about everybody was surprised except Dutch & Claudette. I think that even though he's a lazy bastard, he's had little glimpses of being a good cop here and there, and they knew he always had it in him.

Sometimes on this show, Dutch is really the Ben Linus of the Barn. He's great at manipulation, he can always seem to get people to do what they don't want to do, and make it seem like it's their idea. :)

Greg

16. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I enjoyed it. I re-watched episodes 9-10 from the previous season beforehand to bring me back up to speed. It made the recap at the beginning feel a bit long and redundant. Otherwise it picked up right where it left off. I was suprised that they picked up exactly where they left off, ignoring the 15 month gap.

Corrine and Mara together could be awkward. Mara knows all about the money train and she told Corrine she knew the real reason for the friction between Mackey and Shane. If she tells Corrine, that's going to be bad. So far she suspects something, knew she got a bag of money, but has likely just figured it was a little skimmed from an arrested drug dealer. She doesn't know for sure how bad Mackey's been.

I'm glad it's back.

17. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Isn't the real reason for the tension the fact that Shane killed Lem?

18. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Have to pipe in here, too...

Re: Getting up to speed with the show -- Yes, this was a bit difficult for me, too. I wished I had saved the last couple eps from last season so I could have viewed them before last night.

Re: the video graininess/quality issue -- Always been that way...this IS the SHIELD, after all.

Re: Billings -- great part of this ep...Dutch's involvement in bringing the "cop" out of Billings to solve the case and also get the lawuit dropped was vintage Dutch. Claudette was good stuff, too.

Re: Interaction with Mara and Corrine -- Yes, it will be awkward...a strange "alliance" if you will. But, again, this is THE SHIELD after all!

Re: Gardocki (sp?) cold blooded murder -- Great acting after he did it...cold, detached, yet you knew it affected him.

Absolutely...although Shane's protection of Vic's family has mitigated that a bit it now seems. Very delicate relationship now established between Shane and Mackey.

BOY am I glad THE SHIELD is back!

19. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I thought this was going to be in HD?

20. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    The a good reason, yes. But the current problem was Shane ratted Mackey out to the Albanians. Kidnapping Mackey's wife and daughter to protect them from the people who want to kill them was all about that, not about Lem.

Mackey's pissed about Lem, but that wasn't the reason he had someone watching his family, why he tied up Shane's wife, or why Corrine was at Mara's door.

Corrine thinks she knows why all this is happening, Mara knows a lot more.