The Series 3 STINKS!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jauburn, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 97
    jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006
    Let's see: they charged, what, $800 for this thing?

And since I've had it, I've had to put up with these bugs:

1. Audio and video out of synch
    2. Macro and micro blocking, sometimes to the point that recorded shows are unwatchable
    3. No Tivo2Go
    4. Disabled SATA port
    5. Slow menu response--pathetic!!!!
    6. Occasionally blank recordings

This stupid thing either wasn't tested properly or is pure junk that they cannot fix with their stupid maintenance releases that add features no one asked for but do not repair obvious bugs.

Bunk!

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 97
    jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Return it.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 97
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Tivo has said TivoToGo and MRV are coming in November (next month). Some on this forum have speculated that the official eSATA support will be provided then as well. We'll see before long.

As far as the other issues, we can only hope Tivo will work on them between now and then.

If you don't mind me asking, where / when are you seeing these A/V sync issues? I have not seen those mentioned in the other 9.1 threads.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 97
    ginolee

ginolee New Member

Sep 13, 2006

I haven't experienced this.

2. Macro and micro blocking, sometimes to the point that recorded shows are unwatchable

3. No Tivo2Go

Not a deal breaker for me.

4. Disabled SATA port
    SATA port works -- see the sticky FAQ on SATA ports.

I *have* experienced this -- I think it was due to bad OTA reception or the cablecards got flakey and stopped working properly, requiring a system restart. Happily, I haven't seen any cablecard issues on my Tivo Series 3 for the past 5-6 months. I think Tivo must have fixed any resource leakage issues related to cablecards earlier this year. Or maybe it was because I cancelled my premium channels when I realized I watched mostly NBC,CBS,ABC,PBS, and maybe this itself resolved the resource leakage ?

Anyways, if you're this unhappy try to travel back in time to the 30 day return period and see if you can return it. Oops, this isn't currently technlogically possible, is it ? Sorry, my gallows humor kicking in right now..

Good luck. :).

Gino.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 97
    jsidlosky

jsidlosky New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I'm using my new Tivo HD to replace my SageTV HTPC (with 3 tuners).

The SageTV was just too unstable.

This Tivo HD is rock solid, I get every OTA channel in at 90% signal strength thanks to the FANTASTIC tuners in this thing. They blow away the Ati HDTV Wonder and AverMedia A180's in my HTPC.

It is laggy (the GUI), but that was in my expectations from using Tivo's over the years and is a trade-off I'm willing to accept.

I hear horror stories about the Cable Cards... I'm glad I about 20 HD channels (San Jose California) in using OTA antenna.

The only thing I'm missing is maybe Discovery HD, A&E, Comedy Central, but thats what the internet is for.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 97
    Jolt

Jolt Disgruntled Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Corpus...
    Feel better?

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 97
    chetk

chetk New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    :confused: Same here been having problem for the last two months.Just got the update to 9.1 still no fix for pixelation, slow reponse or none at all, reboot after a few minutes. It only occurs on hd channels only and if i unhook cable from wall to tivo it works just fine. I think its a tivo hardware issue or a cable card issue. Probably not a cc issue because i did a diagnostic everything looks ok. I've been reading other post about the same problem and everybody has a differnent answers. You can hookup the cable operators dvr and see no problems with hd channels? But only with tivo s3 and hd units thats kind of odd dont you think? I'll give it a week and call them to see about a replacement. Please reply if you have an answer.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 97
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Mine smells fine.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 97
    drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I think I actually miss that "New TiVo smell." :D

10. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Mine is working almost perfectly. Occasionally some minor picture disturbances, occasionally some lipsynch problems. And in both cases, I mean "OCCASIONALLY." Quite frankly, I've been working with video gear for 35 years now, and I've never seen a perfect video recorder. They all occasionally hiccup, and that includes machines that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. PBS just last week had a disaster on their first night of broadcasting Ken Burn's "THE WAR." It's technology, it screws up sometimes. GROW UP and get over it. If it screws up consistantly, replace it.

11. jmatero

jmatero Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Hmmm Well, I've had mine for a year now... in fact.. ordered it the second it became available.

I've had it installed on both Cablevision and now Verizon FiOS.

I've never seen this on my unit

I haven't seen this either

3. No Tivo2Go
    According to TiVo this is coming in a matter of weeks

4. Disabled SATA port
    Nonsense

My menu response is speedy... just as quick.. if not quicker.. than my S2 box

Have NEVER seen this

Conclusion: Yes, YOUR TiVo S3 Stinks. I would return it and ask for a replacement.

12. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Can I officially change my name to 30DAYRETURNPERIODGUY ?

If it isn't right within 30 days, call Tivo and ask for an extension because it isn't working properly. If they do not want to, return it for a different box and try that out. Oh, you are outside of the 30 Day Return Period? Oh I see. Well then. Maybe you need to be a little more prompt with your decision making.

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I appreciate your straight forward review methodology with layman terms I can understand like stink and pathetic. Could you review the Motorola DCH PVR next?

14. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I agree, it does stink. The S3 is hardly the best of all possible worlds that my old S1 was. It's a shabby, slow, expensive, bugridden product. Problem is, everything else stinks worse. Much worse.

I always thought that DVR technology was easily copyable, and TiVo was nothing particularly special. I assumed that someone else would improve on the original model for less money. Somehow, that never happened. TiVo still reigns supreme. Why? I dunno. It's a mystery.

15. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    TiVo HD don't.

16. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    I've had my S3 since December 2006. Here's my 2-bits for comparison.

I have never seen this problem. Could it be something other than the TiVo?

The only time I really saw blocking of any significance was when I was using OTA HD while I was waiting for Charter to come out and install my cable cards. After that, very rarely.

Known quantity at purchase time and known area for future expansion once approved.

Another known quantity at purchase time and another area for future expansion. It is better that they included the hardware even if the software was not ready than to add it to updated hardware when the software became ready.

Compared to the other TiVo units I own (S2) the S3 seems as fast or faster, particularly compared to a Toshiba DVD writer TiVo that I have.

Never experienced this.

As far as odor. None. :)

17. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    The TiVoHD is still a shabby, slow, bugridden product. It's just not expensive, and has what I consider to be insufficient storage for HD.

Not to bash TiVo, I've had one since 2000. But I've been waiting for TiVo to substantially improve its core functionality, and it just hasn't since my old S1. My S3 is much slower than my S1 ever was. And I've been waiting for something better to come out, and it never has. The DVR market is in a virtual standstill. It's a real bummer.

Seriously, why are we dealing with slow UI? It's 2007 for crying out loud.

18. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Please define your use of "core functionality" so we can discuss how it has not improved.

In its most narrow scope we can say 'recording TV to disk'. Even at this limited scope, I think it has improved by allowing me to record HD content.

I'd like to hear your definition and then rationale as to how it has not improved since the S1.

19. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    \

Why watch tv in 2007 that isnt HD ? And why would you want to use a single tuner? That why people can deal with a slow UI. And once you get over your " My Series 1 unit was way faster" bug, you wont even remember that outdated unit any longer. I have 3 Series 2 units and 5 Directv units and a new TivoHD and I love the thing. Granted it is a little slow on the draw but it gets that job done and kicks the ass out of any crapcastic box or other competitors. So sit sideline as everyone else enjoys their units and return yours. :) Thank you come again

20. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA

Well believe it or not there are a whole bunch of us who live in the boonies where we're lucky to get one or two HD OTA stations and have cable companies who don't do HD yet.

Yeah, I know about satellite - we're not THAT far back in the boonies.