The Rookie - Season 3 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jan 4, 2021 #1 of 32
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

It's back! I've missed this show.

Last season had its ups and downs for me, but I really enjoyed this episode. Maybe the lack of shows during COVID has helped me enjoy this more.

This one picked up right where last season left off. Nolan tearing out the walls to find the evidence hidden by Armstrong, and the police outside wanting to come in.

Loved that he asked for a warrant, and then called Wes for counsel.

I also loved how Armstrong was setup at the junkyard with the empty gun. Got what was coming to him.

And now Lopez is pregnant, and has been promoted to detective.

And I guess keeping Nolan as a street cop will keep the series going without fear of him being promoted in the near future.

2. Jan 5, 2021 #2 of 32
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    They goofed on the framing in the last scene Lopez was in and you could see the actress was about 4-5 months along.

--Carlos "aren't the two of you married? Good luck!" V.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Jan 5, 2021 #3 of 32
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ...and still a rookie ;)
    I wonder if the timeline of S3 will be only 1 month
    (the length of Nolan’s reprimand)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. Jan 6, 2021 #4 of 32
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It as an interesting and slightly different take on the "one of our own is a bad apple" plotline that seems to be everywhere due to BLM. They might do that in the future but this episode was more about the idea that police tend to bend the rules they operate under, sometimes to achieve "better justice" and how problematic that can be. They definitely were not subtle about it but at least it was a different perspective.

I'm really, really waiting for B99 to see how they handle this subject. It's gonna be tough. But I think The Rookie did OK, so far.

5. Jan 9, 2021 #5 of 32
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...

Advertisements

They didnt handle that topic in this plot line.

From the previews it looks like they will be doing so in coming episodes and to me, it looks like it's gonna be... well... less than stellar. But i guess we'll see

6. Jan 9, 2021 #6 of 32
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Already written off NCIS NO because its only about wokeness. The Rookie did well, hope it stays that way.

7. Jan 9, 2021 #7 of 32
    madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    There's nothing wrong with wokeness. I hope we're all more woke, or trying to be, after the last 12 months. I just would appreciate an effort to get a bit deeper when dealing with wokeness, rather than doing to same obvious plot over and over. Maybe TV shows could, you know, hire more writers of color to provide different perspectives and experiences (and not just about wokeness of course). I'm sure they'll have a lot of stories that would be different and interesting and still allow shows to acknowledge the moment.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  8. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I was glad they did not drag the "falsely accused" plotline. I hate those.

As to the "wokeness", it would be unconscionable for a cop show to ignore what is happening in real life. We'll see how they handle it, but I applaud them for taking it on, and not just having a fantasy police department where these things never happen.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    2/3 of the people I know ignore it. Or ridicule the whole notion. If they didn't know my values and show a bit of consideration for our friendships/acquaintanceships/business relationships it would probably be closer to 90%.

My life is full of wonderful people who tend to have this awful blind spot. Massive blind spot actually.

I admit it is always cringeworthy to see media gibber on issues of depth that have suddenly come to the forefront. There were movies in the 1960s, trying to come to grips with the idea that Black people might actually be human beings, that could make you work up a hate for Sidney Poitier.

10. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    They can take 'woke' and BLM and shove it where the sun don't shine.....

jasrub likes this.
  11. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I guess I'm wrong again. Welp, another one for the ol' Ignore pile!

Books likes this.
  12. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I apologize for mentioning it. Each of us has our own likes and dislikes and what we watch tv for. I don't judge anyone for wanting their entertainment a different way than I do;
    that's why there are so many different shows on tv. I can easily solve my dislike for a show by not watching it. Again, my initial post was a failure on my part to keep politics out of this forum.

13. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Episode 2 -

It made me nervous seeing Nolan and Harper doing their community outreach work without wearing vests. I thought for sure something was going to happen.

The new cop, Stanton, seems to be there to show how things 'used to be' before the change - something to show us a contrast between the old and new ways.

Angela's first day as a detective. Her boss is going to steal the credit for the bust isn't he?

I'm guessing Tamara, the girl who stole Lucy's car, will become a recurring role this season. We will get to see her struggle and then thrive. I did like the scenes dealing with Lucy's car, and what a piece of junk it was.

14. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I enjoyed the ep as well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Jeez---is the whole cops vs. blacks thing going to be a major theme of every episode?

I don't want to be preached at every week...I watch shows to be entertained...

And is this why Brandon Routh left Legends? EDIT: No, I read that leaving Legends wasn't his decision...

leeherman and jasrub like this.
  16. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I agree I don't want to be preached to each week and as a previous post I am very aware of what I perceive as propaganda. I admit that I do have my opinion on things but I also don't know everything. So I found the ep enlightening, I could see myself as Nolan and wanting to help but not knowing that the definition of help is subjective.
    (As previously mentioned I have given up on NCIS NO but have found The Rookie done in a much better way)

leeherman and jasrub like this.
  17. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Reminds me of a lot of cop show episodes back in the Seventies, when Black characters only got to tell the cops off on television. And when Lucy's car was new but no cop could afford it, lol.

18. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    The Nolan storyline is OK; Nolan is always a Pollyanna so that kind of works for him. The Brandon Routh storyline seems pretty cookie-cutter; that story has been done many times before (on many different shows), for many years now. Maybe they'll add something to it next episode. They tried to twist it a bit with Bradford's take on it, but it would have been more interesting if they'd made it more ambiguous.

Lucy's car reminded me of my (now-wife's) car in college; hers was bright yellow not orange but otherwise very similar, in all respects.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I haven't looked closely (or Googled) but Lucy's car appears to be a mid to late 1970s Datsun 240-260 Z car.
    (I noticed it in the pilot as well.)
    Which wasn't a bad car back in the day.

20. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    LMGTFY: it's a 1977 280Z.
    Rookie Lucy Chen Datsun 280Z.gif

I still remember the first time someone in the neighborhood got a 240Z! All us kids were attracted like magnets. The owner was a Wall Street guy and he had a lot of toys, including an ATV of some kind.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    DouglasPHill likes this.