The Rookie - S2E5 - "Tough Love" *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Pokemon_Dad, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Developing confidential informants is apparently easier than parenting. Or dealing with your parents. Or something. :) (@Agatha Mystery, sorry for horning in here.)

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    It did seem a bit strange how they handled things.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I thought the whole story line of rookies securing their own CIs was a bit more far-fetched than normal.

jcondon, stellie93 and LlamaLarry like this.
  4. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I like his new TO

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The show is going downhill (for me). Too many relationship issues and dating within the show characters now (Chen and Jackson will be the next relationship, if not already).

DouglasPHill likes this.
  6. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Agreed, I feel like this year less police business and more other issues. Wonder how much the loss of Williamson is affecting the stories.

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe it was just me, but I thought the girl CI tried to kill herself by shooting herself in the head, since she had a hole in her head and was convulsing.
    It took me a while to realize she fell and hit her head.

And they left her alone in the room with all the recording equipment that contained all the evidence. This show annoys me how they don't think beyond words on a script.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I agree, prefer to see the police work and not the love lives they have.

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I'll give it a few more episodes, but if Chen and Jackson hook-up, i'm out ;)

DouglasPHill likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh, you sweet, little, innocent TCF viewers. You mean that, you, too, don't sleep with everyone at work? I might recommend that you give the UPS guy (ooh, those brown shorts) and the coffee lady a try.

(from the long-running Broadway parody series, "Forbidden Broadway"; with all due apologies to Andrew Lloyd Webber and his musical "Aspects of Love" and its song, "Love Changes Everything")

11. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    No worries. I missed that you had started this one for some reason. I thought I had checked well enough before starting my own. Feel free to start one whenever you want. I don't have the corner on Rookie posts. I'm just glad there is enough interest.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  12. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Jackson is gay. They aren’t going to hookup.

13. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So to copy my post from the other thread (which I've asked to have deleted)...

The rookies develop their own CIs. Chen's mom moves in and takes over. Nolan's son is engaged to a girl who set fire to her boyfriend's car.

I liked this episode for the relationship between West and Chen. Their friendship has solidified a lot more now that they are roommates. Nolan's relationship with his new TO is interesting. He isn't as deferential as he was with Talia. He is more of a smarta** with his new TO. I did like the fact that she was willing to own up to her feelings of fear at the end. It will help solidify their eventual partnership.

There were some obvious issues with how they were 'hiding' while watching their potential CIs. I'm glad Jackson did his due diligence to see that the car dealer wasn't dating the CI's ex-wife. Somehow I doubt the FBI would have given that guy $100K for tips.

Next week's scenario seems silly. I'm guessing they based it upon real life events in Hawaii and the outcome will obviously be the same.

jcondon, Pokemon_Dad and Donbadabon like this.
  14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Well then you are watching the wrong show. It has been about the relationships since the first episode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jcondon likes this.
  15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    This is the second show I've watched recently where a house guest comes in and moves furniture around without permission and the home owner lets them get away with it (the other show was Bluff City Law). Maybe people on television are just pushovers or something, but that certainly wouldn't fly with me!

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    It was her Mom, and she wasn’t staying long, easier to move it back when she leaves than getting into a fight over it.

Agatha Mystery likes this.
  17. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Probably could have been said friendlier. IMHO

jeetkunedo and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, the houseguest in this case was her mother, so that's a little different. There's things your parent(s) do that you kind of just have to deal with (at least until they're gone).

jeetkunedo likes this.
  19. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    "Moving furniture around" is in tamer category I've seen friends deal with "Chinese moms".

--Carlos "moms in general, though" V.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    He's not gay any more?

jcondon likes this.