The Rookie - S2E4 - “Warriors and Guardians” *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

Interesting setup with the new TO. A detective stepping back on patrol after being undercover for 4 years.

We obviously get her motivation at the end.

I’ve got several thoughts -

They made her disagreeable because people were going to automatically be upset at anyone replacingTalia. This way, they can redeem her and bring viewers over on their terms.

Gray choosing Nolan to ride with her because he wouldn’t get eaten alive shows his increased respect. I wonder if he is trying to help Nolan make detective as quickly as possible. He’s already had him with the night general as well as ride with him himself. It’s a nice transition from the guy who said he was going to force Nolan out.

Chen needs to dial it back a little bit with Bradford. Yes, she helped him but Bradford’s relationship is being built on an untrue foundation if he takes too much advice. His new girlfriend might think he is this great and considerate guy when that isn’t his first instinct. He did look pretty cute in the scene with the present though.

Nolan getting shot - I expected that he would end up at the hospital to further that relationship with Grace. I’m surprised that didn’t happen.

I’m glad that Bradford and Gray have Nolan’s back.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Pokemon_Dad and LlamaLarry like this.
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm trying to withhold judgment on the new character--she's made to be non-likable and that's working thus far . . . .

3. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I agree on the new TO. Dang, they did a great job making her unlikable. I nearly turned it off.

4. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I enjoyed Nolan talking back to her in the squad car later on in the episode. Fillian's characters tend to be so affable, I always like it when he has the opportunity to toughen up a little, even for a few seconds.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I don't think Talia had anything to do with it. They made her disagreeable because tension in the car makes for a more interesting story than everyone instantly being best of friends...

6. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    True. But many people will be predisposed to dislike the character. This way, they can say "we did it on purpose" and then work to redeem her, rather than be criticized over how they are portraying the character.

7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    To me it seemed like Bradford eventually chose the birthday present on his own. I didn't get the impression Chen chose it for him (although she certainly UN-chose a number of presents...)

8. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Good point. I made the assumption.

9. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    We watched this last night and at the end I wasn't sure if it was Bradford's idea or Chen's. I could see it going either way. He kept picking "guy" things. Model building is typically a "guy" thing so could still be his idea that maybe Chen thought was cool since her dad did all those illustrations for the book Chen gave her.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.