The Rookie - S2E2 - "The Night General"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019 #1 of 23
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Nolan hanging around with the detective is good for him, but I'm not so sure I trust the detective. He's been correct in how he's teaching Nolan (don't make assumptions - look at the facts), but it seems like he is baiting him to see how easily swayed he is on certain things (like Grace, for instance).

Looks like the Sargeant is feeling better about Nolan in general. He had Nolan ride with him the previous episode, and this one he assigned him to a detective who was new to help him get the lay of the land. Just seemed odd that the Night General was going around with daytime officers.

Nolan hooking up with the doctor, no matter how weird his relationship with the Homeland Security cop is, is a bad idea. They had a relationship 21 years prior, for 8 weeks. That's not really a relationship. Whatever is built up in their heads is false.

Next week's episode should be fun.
    Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas from Castle will be in it. I always thought that they got along but the negative stories from Castle always worried me. I presume that is just from Nathan and Stana rather than the whole cast like it was portrayed.

2. Oct 8, 2019 #2 of 23
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I keep thinking night detective is up to something, but could be he is testing Nolan for some plan the Sergeant has.
    I screamed "run-away" when doctor's horns came out; life is too short to mess with angry ex-girlfriends.

I do not understand the mobile home park on site. The sad part about the two guys who tried out their bullet
    proof vests is that I think that really happened in the last couple years.

3. Oct 8, 2019 #3 of 23
    logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Is that based on reality? Seems odd that a police department would allow campers in one of their parking lots.

Hadn't seen Ali Larter in anything since Heroes so while she looked familiar, I couldn't remember her name. Had to look up the episode in IMDB.

4. Oct 8, 2019 #4 of 23
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    What's with the overload of new recurring characters using well known after (Michael from Lost, Skinner from X-Files, Niki from Heroes). Are they trying to make us forget about what happened to Afton?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. Oct 8, 2019 #5 of 23
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm reasonably certain that Ali Larter's casting had nothing to do with Afton's allegations...

6. Oct 8, 2019 #6 of 23
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It seems to me that the Night General's part was originally written for Bishop.
    But with Williamson exiting, retooling was needed.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. Oct 8, 2019 #7 of 23
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Did anyone else say "Walllltttt!" when the detective made an appearance?

This episode was so much better than last week. I was worried after it.

I like the introduction of the detective, and how he is getting Nathan to look at things differently. But Nathan is also showing that sometimes your gut shows you things the facts don't.

wprager and LlamaLarry like this.
  8. Oct 8, 2019 #8 of 23
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Also suspicious of the detective, although he seems great.

I couldn't remember where I'd seen Ali Larter either, and I still can't remember her character on Heroes very well. Can someone tell me what her superpower was?

9. Oct 8, 2019 #9 of 23
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Super strength

stellie93 likes this.
  10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Besides Heroes, I remember Ali Larter from Final Destination 1&2, an a bunch of the Resident Evil sequels. I don't remember her from Heroes very well. Was she a Jekyll and Hyde type person?

I don't know why, but I am suspicious of the Detective. It would be refreshingly difference if he was an honest, good character, out to help, and wasn't hiding some devious, awful secret.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  11. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Which was partly related to a split personality.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  12. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I guess I'll have to go back and re-watch Heroes. I know I liked her on the show and she's very familiar , but I can't remember her character at all.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Her bad alter ego was chilling.

14. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    She was Niki, the single mother to the kid who could talk to computers. She ran an adult webcam out of her garage when her kid went to school. She could rip a guy in half.

She's also famous for that whipped cream bikini from some summer movie.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  15. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Varsity Blues. A guilty pleasure movie of mine.

16. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Chris Evans spoofed it in "Not Another Teen Movie."

--Carlos V.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  17. Anthjo

Anthjo Member

Aug 7, 2007
    My least favorite character in this show is Bradford, although he seemed a little less awful for once. His poor recruit has been through it with this jackass. Not a fan.

SNJpage1 likes this.
  18. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    This episode is why this show is/was a love/hate relationship with me. As a rookie, Nolan would never have been assigned with a detective to patrol the streets. He would have been assigned a new field training officer or at the very least, assigned with a senior officer temporarily. I can’t remember anything off the top of my head, but it sure seemed like they were involved in assignments where patrol wouldn’t normally be assigned. When the show first started, this really irritated me. As the show progressed, I realized it is just a show and television does things like this to make the show more exciting. Now, I’ll sometimes roll my eyes and just go with it.

I haven’t completely figured out why I like this show yet but I believe it is because I like all of the characters and at the end of the day, the show has heart.

Another nitpick that I won’t go deep into because no cares except me is their use of the radio. They don’t know how to use proper radio etiquette which is probably the script writers fault. For good radio etiquette, look at Adam-12 and Emergency!

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  19. Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Member

Apr 26, 2003
    1-Adam-12, 1-Adam-12......

20. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    "See the Man"