The Rookie - S02 - Rest of season thread - *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So I've been doing so much schoolwork that I haven't had a chance to start new threads. I'm just going to start a rest of season thread. There's only the 2-part finale left to be aired at this point. Spoilers and speculation abound, so enter at your own risk.

Last episode (S02E18 - Under the Gun), we got Nolan and Harper getting stuck in a prison riot. Somehow, I would bet that they would have had orders not to go back into the prison to rescue the warden without a larger crew backing them up. Going in just increased the likelihood of more hostages. So that part's kinda meh.

But, for the most part, it was a good episode. I can't believe they had the van get stolen. I can't remember who was driving the van, though. I presume it was Harper since Nolan wasn't given crap for leaving the keys in it.

We have Nolan's girlfriend getting back with ex. That was going to happen because Ali Larter got her own show. Nolan's love-life keeps getting short circuited by real world issues. I think Sarah Shahi left for her own Netflix show as well, but that could have happened after the fact.

The supporting cast stories were great. Wonderful coincidence that there was an active shooter situation at the business of the programmer dude who could have wrecked Lopez's career. I really like her character. She's bada$$ but fun. When not on duty, she lets her hair down and lets go of the bada$$.

Bradford has to decide whether or not to go to NYPD. I don't think it's going to happen, honestly. The writers seem to be setting up a Bradford/Chen pairing sooner or later. I wish they would remain friends, but as it is a tv show, the shippers are going to push that one eventually.

Speculation - will the writers/producers rename the show away from The Rookie? Or will they keep it? Will they rename it "The oldest rookie" or "LAPD: The Rookie Later Years"? :D

Pokemon_Dad, Tony_T and Donbadabon like this.
  2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I was getting bored with the Nolan romance with his old girlfriend, so I like that that storyline may end. I think the set up was that Bradford”s girlfriend will decide to stay in LA. But these romance storylines are, IMO, the weakest part of the show.
    I was thinking the same about the name last season, but looks like they’ll now have the rookies “graduate”. They’ll probably have Nolan be a TO for a new Rookie.

LlamaLarry and Agatha Mystery like this.
  3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Regarding the van: the kid could have hot-wired it... seems pretty unlikely a cop would leave the keys in the van like that.

Nolan certainly gets to smooch with some beautiful women... I get that he's a good looking guy and single at a "later age", but come on!

This episode was a bit more eye-rolling than most, but I'm still in!

4. irmolars

irmolars Member

Dec 29, 2018
    One of the best shows on TV

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Broadcast TV ;)

6. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Bradford's gf just got arrested. That might block her from the new job in NYC (plus hasn't she heard of Covid-19?).

Very surprised that a veteran officer transferring from the LAPD to NYPD would have to start from scratch. Makes no sense.

Ali Larter is just doing a movie. I think she'll be back.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    For lateral moves across states, there's the fact that Bradford would have to memorize an entirely new set of criminal and vehicle codes, and state-specific legal rulings and precedents WRT police authority and behavior. Every state is different.

--Carlos V.

LlamaLarry and Agatha Mystery like this.
  8. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    If anyone wasn't aware, Melissa O'Neill, who did the contrived American Idol thing a couple of episodes back, actually won the 3rd season of Canadian Idol, so she does actually have some singing talent.

verdugan, lew, LlamaLarry and 4 others like this.
  9. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I'd be ok if the character did not come back.

LlamaLarry and Tony_T like this.
  10. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I don't think you can be a TO immediately out of your Rookie year. They aren't qualified for that.

Generic likes this.
  11. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I think you've got some confusion on names. Bradford's gf got arrested, but he was allowed by the arresting officer to 'cite her out' indicating more of a traffic ticket. It probably won't be affected by that. COVID wasn't a thing during the time of filming, so, no, she hasn't heard of it.

LAPD to NYPD requires a learning of new laws and regulations. From the dialogue, it looks like he would have to go back through the academy and do a TO tour. After that, he would probably be promoted quickly, but that would take a couple of years at minimum before he would be eligible. It does make sense that it would seem like starting from scratch. My experience on my current job doesn't transfer laterally to other positions, so in many ways, depending upon where I go, I'm starting from scratch. It's a hard road.

Ali Larter has a new TV show. link

12. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I agree completely. She doesn't seem to have good chemistry with Nathan Fillion. Her character doesn't seem compelling. I don't care about her or her family history. It's either poor writing or a mismatch in on-set chemistry between the actors.

LlamaLarry and Tony_T like this.
  13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yeah, I was thinking that none of these Rookies could be a TO in their 1st year out of being Rookie, then realized that not only is this TV, this is ABC TV, so anything is possible ;)

Agatha Mystery likes this.
  14. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I disliked that character from day 1

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  15. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    They have to qualify with new firearms too. Last time I checked NY required a custom 12-pound Glock trigger, which I'm sure is very hard to get used to.

16. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    The Rookie but with cheerleaders, lol! Well, I guess once you've got a formula that works...

17. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I've been a fan since Dark Matter.

LlamaLarry and justen_m like this.
  18. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oops, corrected.

19. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Maybe Nolan's friend and former landlord will be back. He just got killed off on Cardinal.

jk

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Still a big fan of the show. Thanks for the scoop on Melissa O'Neill being on Canadian Idol; during that weird scene my wife and I commented on how well she sang. :). I won't miss Ali Larter's character and I don't think they had nearly the chemistry that he did with Sara Shahi's character (I admit to not preferring blondes though).
    Holy crap, 12# trigger pull! Makes sense why so many NYPD shots miss.