"The Righteous Gemstones" - HBO - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Aug 20, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The Righteous Gemstones is an American comedy television series, created by Danny McBride, that premiered on August 18, 2019 on HBO. The series follows a famous yet dysfunctional family of televangelists. It stars McBride, John Goodman, Edi Patterson, Adam DeVine, Cassidy Freeman, Tony Cavalero, and Tim Baltz. (wiki)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[from what I can tell, the premiere is an hour long, but subsequent episodes will be half-hour. Eight or nine eps in all. Sunday nights, HBO]

I have mixed thoughts on this. I'm not in love with it, after the pilot. But I didn't totally hate it. John Goodman is great, Adam DeVine is good, but Danny McBride... is just killing it for me. And not in a good way. Every show of his I've ever watched (VP, E&D, etc), I watch an eps or two, and then just throw up my hands and kill the SP. The writing is juvenile, and something about his screen presence bugs me. Obviously, YMMV.

The family lunch scene, and the family fights, are schoolyard stupid. As was the attack on the small town pastor. The scene at the end, the ransom handover, was pretty good. I'm hoping the rest of a strong cast can overcome McBride's presence.

I'll watch one more, and then probably consign it to the same fate as all D McB series... "SP Deleted".

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I could have written this word for word. He sucks the funny right out of the room.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The jury is still out after the first episode.
    The characters are hateful and not in a good way. I am not loving hating them, they are just awful people doing awful things, so do I want to watch an entire season of them?
    Adam Levine bugged me more than McBride. The hip 90s half surfer half I dunno what didn't seem to fit with the evangalist persona they were trying to sell me - - - I just wanted to smack the knit cap off his head.
    Production values on the other hand are quite good so I'm going to give it a couple of episodes.

4. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And the jury is still out. The good parts: It's only a half hour; it's much easier to stomach D-McB in smaller doses. And the twist in the final scene--outstanding!

The bad hasn't changed... it's still written by a 12 year old. There are exchanges, especially between the siblings, that are like watching pre-pub teens interact. And not in an enjoyable way.

I'll watch one more. I actually enjoy most of the cast (writing... not so much). And as you say, production values are HBO-worthy.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Danny McBride. Someone must or he wouldn't keep showing up I guess. There were a couple of funny parts, but overall, not enough to keep me interested. Most of it is just dumb and seemed forced. Out after one.

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I was bored until the final scene of episode two, so I’ll watch another. I initially thought it would be something like that, but they hid it well until I gave up on and forgot about that hunch. Then.... boom.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Tony_T likes this.
  7. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Sorry everyone. I'm one of the reasons McBride keeps getting work. I find him juvenile but funny. And seeing Walton Goggins joining the cast in the next episode has me very happy. Not just because I would watch Goggins in anything but because I loved him and McBride in Vice Principals. :D

I ruined the surprise ending on episode 2 for myself though. The minute I saw that kid's face, I was thinking "where do I know him from?" so I went and looked it up on IMDB and turns out he's the kid from Santa Clarita Diet.... but in doing so, I read his name on this show. So the first time he was mentioned, I knew who he was. Oh well!

LlamaLarry and hairyblue like this.
  8. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm with you. I think McBride is funny, and Vice Principals was a hilarious show. McBride and Goggins have such great chemistry.

hairyblue and photoshopgrl like this.
  9. R1elvis

R1elvis Member

May 16, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Its good. DMB is the man.

10. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I'm enjoying the show. And, I too, am Danny McBride fan. I like the surprise endings. I'm in for the season.

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I hate Danny McBride. But he's prefect for this show. I'm in too.

12. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Wow. I love you Walton but I did not need to view that much of you.

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    As a confirmed atheist, I am enjoying this show ... Honest to Gord! Praise Cheeses!

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Renewed for a second season.

The story gets better and better, and is strong enough to keep me watching. I'm still bugged by Danny McB [I just don't get him], and the writing for the siblings. It's like they're all 12 yrs old. It's disconcerting, since adults don't usually act like 12 yr olds.

15. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    True but these are not normal adults.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  16. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm hooked. And annoyed I have to wait another week for the next episode! :p

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I've seen adults act like 12 year olds for sure.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    So, that's it. Until next year.

I'm still no D-McB fan, but I enjoyed the series. Good writing, with a strong cast. Certainly not your every day story line :eek:. Those are some weird, ******-up kids he has. You know it's a screwed up family when John Goodman plays the only normal one.

Queef, I mean Keefe. Wow, I don't even want to know what the hell he was doing before Kelvin (Adam DeVine) saved him. All I know is if I'm wearing a full body rubber suit, no way my penis is the only thing hanging sticking out.

And now that we've learned more about Judy Gemstone, I'm not sure I want to know more about Judy Gemstone.

Nonetheless, I went from wanting to delete it every time I was ten minutes in, to enjoying it. The power of HBO.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  19. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I really enjoyed this season! I'm sad it's over so soon. I'll probably end up watching it over again before season 2 starts up. I also hope that Baby Billy is back next year too. Walton is on another show but I think this finished filming before The Unicorn started so maybe it'll work out again.

20. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Really enjoyed it, I was never a huge Danny Mcbride fan but my wife is, I'm glad she convinced me to watch this.

photoshopgrl likes this.