The recent promotion, $99 transfer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Jun 10, 2017.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

I am a bit concerned over the recent $99 transfer of lifetime service to Bolts from series 2/3s. Supposedly they were going to deactivate the series 2/3s that were used for the promotion. It was supposed to happen 10 days after hooking up the Bolts. The deactivations then got "delayed", some people got emails about it. There was even a website where you had to choose which device or devices you wanted deactivated. They gave dates when the 2/3s would be deactivated also, first it was the 10 days after hooking the the Bolts, then I think it was May 15th, then delayed again until May 22nd I think. But as far as I can see none have been deactivated yet and it's June 10th. The concern is this, first of all if not deactivated someone could sell one of the boxes which is supposed to be deactivated if they still show lifetime service. Second big concern, if you had multiple series 2/3s and chose say ONE to be deactivated how do you know if/when they will deactivate the correct one? It is now past the 30 day return period so if they mess up, ie deactivate the wrong one, who knows when, what will happen? I mean the terms of purchase was 10 days, now approaching two MONTHS, I find this disconcerning, to me the deal is not complete until the Bolt shows permanent lifetime and the series 2/3 is gone, if both are out there showing lifetime have no idea what might happen in the future.

2. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I just went to check on mine because it's been a while and I am seeing the same. Three active TiVo boxes and nothing inactive.

3. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, I'm curious if ANYONE shows the promo boxes gone. I don't think it will even go under inactive, should be gone completely (at least that is what happened with a series 1 we upgraded).

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Strange. I just checked on tivo.com and my old TiVoHD still shows up as active along with my new Bolt. Maybe I'll hook it back up and see if it still works, calls in and gets new guide info, etc.

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Please post what you find. The ones we upgraded, having been waiting for them to "go away", then would pull drives and recycle. Not going to do anything though until this is resolved as I have no idea what might happen in the future.

6. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    This is my one and only concern (that they deactivate the correct box(es)). I don't care if the "donor" box(es) remains active but I do care if they deactivate an S3HD instead of an S2.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    EXACTLY my concern. I have 3 S3 and 3 S2, all were eligible for the promotion. I "upgraded" one only, I chose which one to deactivate when ordering and attempted to follow up over the phone a couple times when things got delayed. I don't want to see one of the five I wanted to keep as is get deactivated by mistake, and who knows when......... And I want to get rid of the one that is supposed to be deactivated, pull the drive and recycle. Until that is done I feel in limbo since nothing has been done as stated in original or even updated terms, at least as far as deactivation goes.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bought mine the same day the promo went live. The S2 I used is still active. I got an email a couple weeks ago saying it was going to be deactivated on a specific date, but the date came and went and it's still active.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Did you select which one to deactivate on the website? I'm in a similar position with 2 S3 and 2 HD and have a specific one that we want deactivated which I let them know with a call following ordering on the website and also selected on the website link they sent me on the 19th (said it had to be selected by May 26th).

Scott

10. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    This.

11. 10_pearljam

10_pearljam Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I have a S2 and S3. Upgraded S2 to the Bolt. Mentioned it as the time of purchase, selected it online. Confirmed that it was the one selected and then confirmed again after setting up the Bolt. All of mine are still active...

12. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I have two S2DT and two S3HD. I ordered two BOLT 500GB online, so no deactivation selection mentioned. I received an email on May 19 (pasted below) to chose which 2 of the 4 to deactivate. But ... the link only offered 2 boxes (the S3HDs). I later chatted and stated I wanted the two S2DTs deactivated ... they put a note in my account.

Thank you for participating in our "Once In A Lifetime" promotion to transfer your Product Lifetime service plan to a new TiVo BOLTâ„¢! According to our records, you purchased 2 TiVo BOLT(s) and have 4 TiVo Series2/Series3 DVRs on your account.

Please let us know which of your Series2 and/or Series3 DVR(s) you would like to deactivate by clicking Next Step. Once we have your selection(s), your TiVo DVR(s) will be scheduled for deactivation on May 26, 2017.

If you do not inform us which of your Series2 and/or Series 3 DVRs to deactivate in advance of May 26, 2017, we will deactivate the DVR(s) that has been inactive the longest.

We would appreciate if you could complete this step at your earliest convenience.

BTW, I unplugged the S2DT boxes on May 12, 2017. The S3HD boxes are still calling home. All are still showing as active in my TiVo account.

13. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I TRIED. First of all the website was not working for like a couple weeks. Then got another email saying it would be up May 17th. Email said "you have 6 S2/3 blah blah blah, select one or we will deactivate the one that connected longest in the past". So on the 17th I connected to the website but only FOUR of my six showed up, and to boot the one I wanted to deactivate was NOT one of the four. So I called, started a case etc but as of now nothing done/deactivated yet. I have five connected since then and now, only one I disconnected was the one they are supposed to deactivate.

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    IMO if you used the second incarnation of the website, things should work out correctly. If you called it in and made a note on your account, things are more iffy.

IMO there will be mistakes and TiVo will eventually have a procedure to correct them after enough customer service calls.

IMO I wouldn't buy any S2/S3 with lifetime on ebay right now, but I don't know if there is a huge market for those right now.

I will guess that TiVo is waiting until some high percentage of people have connected their units, let's say 99%, before pulling the plug, so as to get close to effectively honoring their original 10 days after 1st connect commitment. Of course they could have just implemented their original offer of 10 days after 1st connect offer, but for some reason they seem to be resistant on that path.

15. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    If by second incarnation you mean May 17th it didn't work for me, only four of my six eligible boxes showed up and the one I wanted to deactivate was not one of the four. So I did nothing, was not going to check off a box I did NOT want deactivated. I did call and created a case. Someone else mentioned the same thing, they had 4. 2 S2 and 2 S3. The website only gave them the choice of the S3s.

I hope you are wrong about them waiting until a % of the Bolts are connected before doing the deactivation. As many people just leaving them sealed and selling them. If sold will no longer be on purchasers acct and won't be hooked up until new owners do it. If not sold may not be hooked up for an indefinite time, especially if the original purchaser wants to keep it sealed for later selling purposes. Who knows what will happen if a Bolt obtained in the promotion is sold so no longer on the purchasers acct when deactivation roles around. Or visa versa, the eligible S2 or S3 is sold or given away before deactivation. My family opened and connected all the Bolts obtained in the promo to try to make sure nothing like this would happen, but it did anyway.

I've decided to let it go for now, will make sure I keep connecting ALL boxes except for the one I want deactivated. That way can keep track of what's going on. I'd hook that one up too but want to keep it as showing up longest time not connected, that way it would be the "default" since I was unable to choose it on the May 17 website. The main reason for the initial post was to see if the deactivation had happened for others but not me, appears not.

16. opus123

opus123 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    my guess is TiVo realized it had insufficient infrastructure to effectively manage an automated deactivation after the fact, and is now looking to remedy rather than go through every account manually. In the interim it's always possible (albeit unlikely) TiVo decides it prefers the inflated active subscriber numbers for quarterly report purposes and declines to deactivate.

Either way it would be best to update customers on status for the many reasons stated in this thread.

17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    THAT would be wonderful. For the accts that did not have to "choose" last email said they would be deactivated May 15. For those that had to choose last email said they would be deactivated May 23. No emails/updates since then. Since neither happened and it is SO FAR beyond what was supposed to happen SOME sort of update would be nice.

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My mail had May 26th.

Scott

Dear Scott,
    Thank you for participating in our "Once In A Lifetime" promotion to transfer your Product Lifetime service plan to a new TiVo BOLTâ„¢! According to our records, you purchased 1 TiVo BOLT(s) and have 4 TiVo Series2/Series3 DVRs on your account.

Please let us know which of your Series2 and/or Series3 DVR(s) you would like to deactivate by clicking Next Step. Once we have your selection(s), your TiVo DVR(s) will be scheduled for deactivation on May 26, 2017.

If you do not inform us which of your Series2 and/or Series 3 DVRs to deactivate in advance of May 26, 2017, we will deactivate the DVR(s) that has been inactive the longest.

We would appreciate if you could complete this step at your earliest convenience

19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I know you may not want to believe this, but this indicates TiVo doesn't think the same units are eligible for the promotion that you think are eligible.

The part about waiting is just a guess on my part. The part about not implementing the original terms of the offer should be pretty clear by the email you've received. They could have changed their minds later on and tried to implement it, who knows. They seemed pretty resistant to the idea of implementing the 10 day after initial connect when I spoke to a manager.

They handled this so much better when they did the S3 OLED transfer offer over 10 years ago. They simply gave you a 1yr activation on the old unit and transferred lifetime to the new unit. No need to implement anything new to trigger a 10 day deactivation upon first connect.

20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    No. I checked the terms of the offer BEFORE I ordered, all 6 qualified, all had connected in the time frame specified, not even close to "missing the date". I ordered over the phone, THEY said all 6 qualified. I chose the one I wanted deactivated and they confirmed, said it would be taken care of automatically, I would not have to do anything else. The email even said I have SIX qualifying boxes and to choose one. BUT the website/link showed only 4 (missing 2 series 2s). So there IS a bug in the May 17th website, no doubts, no mistakes on my part. And I'm not the only one, happened to others, for sure DVR_Dave.