1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Purge - 10-episode miniseries on USA (Ep 1: 9/4/2018)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sep 5, 2018 #1 of 47
    martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I watched most of episode 1 last night. I got about 40 minutes in and just couldn't care about any of the characters. There was just so much stupidity in the pre-Purge setup (I didn't even make it to the start of the Purge, which I would imagine was at the end of the first episode) that I couldn't bear spending 10 hours watching these people.

I haven't watched any of the Purge movies, so I don't know how this fits in with them.

Did anyone else watch it and maybe enjoy it? Is it just me? :)

2. Sep 5, 2018 #2 of 47
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    haha.. I saw the Purge movie from this year, and thought it was pretty terrible.. I'm still VAGUELY interested in checking this out, so I set up a OP.. Will probably watch at least one ep all the way through.

3. Sep 5, 2018 #3 of 47
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I made it through about 30 mins of the first Purge flick. Very bad. Was surprised when they kept coming out with more. And now a series? Sheesh.

4. Sep 6, 2018 #4 of 47
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've watched and liked all the purge movies. I saw the first episode last night. Nothing great. But I'll stick around and see how the second episode is.

5. Sep 6, 2018 #5 of 47
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I watched it. Thought it was unbelievably stupid. So stupid I started to think it must be me, 'cause no one would green light something this bad.

Icing on the cake was the lady of that finance firm. She safely ensconced in a safe place for the entire Purge, knows she can't leave the floor, no re-admittance, so what does she do... steps outside. And when she's told she has to wait there until the Purge starts, which means she can't re-enter the building, she... waits right there.

I haven't seen any of the movies, so I don't know how they handle the pure ridiculousness of the Purge concept in the first place. But I know how this show handles it... poorly. It just doesn't make sense.

Loved the scene at the Nazi house though. And I'm pretty sure I saw that girl from Banshee.

6. Sep 6, 2018 #6 of 47
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    ??? The reason the lady did all that was to pay someone to do something during the purge. Which I would assume be to kill her boss or a co-worker.(I guess they will show it next week) And they waited until the Purge started to hand over the money, because then it would not be illegal.
    And she can re-enter the building. Only that floor they were working on is supposed to be secure, not the entire building. Although they said there would be no entry or exit on the floor during the Purge. So I have no idea how she would get back onto the floor if the security people followed their own rules.

7. Sep 6, 2018 #7 of 47
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    That's my theory, except they made it a point that the boss likes to eavesdrop, my guess is there is also some addendum to her "No purge" contract that she just voided. They've shown that there is a new position open (like who would be her assistant or something) so I'm guessing she'll get back in okay as she seems very important to closing this deal, they'll close the deal. Then the boss will drop the bomb that he knows she tried to purge by proxy, and that she will be removed from the "safe floor" and have to fend for herself, then the two minions that want the assistant job, he'll offer that whoever kills her will get her position while the other will just get the assistant position.

8. Sep 7, 2018 #8 of 47
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The Purge movies are actually quite brilliant.
    If you are not into the horror gore genre, I can see you not liking them but - they have all been pretty great.
    The concept (much like The Handmaid's Tale) of a new political party taking over the country is kindof a frightening one. I haven't seen the newest one yet - waiting for it to emerge on cable or by magical means.
    I always spend each one wondering what I would do to hide out from it.

The series. Well - I thought it was pretty bad - mostly because you have to question why people would put themselves in danger - like the woman leaving the building, or the army guy trying to find his sister, or the couple who go to a Purge party hoping for a business deal... Why would anyone do any of that?

That said - I'm kinda hooked - I really do wanna know what that lady is up to - and what is going to happen to that couple in the house... So - I guess I am in.

9. Sep 7, 2018 #9 of 47
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, as much as I complained above, I'll probably watch the 2nd eps, just to see how it goes.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I haven’t seen any of the movies. Are they, and the series, gore fests or more in the vein of Halloween?

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am not sure I would call it gore. They are very violent. Lots of guns, knives, axes, etc.

I will write what the premise is and spoiler it in case you don't wanna know:
    A new political party has taken over and they have declared a 12 hour period called The Purge where people can kill other people. Law enforcement, ambulance and all emergency workers do not work during The Purge. I don't remember if nothing is illegal or if it is just murder. People go nuts hunting down other people for fun in some - shall we say - creative ways...

12. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Ditto except I’ve not seen the last movie (The First Purge). It is a guilty pleasure so I’m in.

So you go out to a party on Purge Night instead of staying safely hunkered down. What could go wrong?

Yep, boss-lady is up to no good. I’m guessing that things won’t go as expected for her either.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I like The Purge movies but never would go to the movies to see one.

As far as the pilot goes, I liked it enough to keep going.

14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I saw one movie: the one with the Senator, starring Elizabeth Mitchell, on HBO or Amazon or Netflix I think. It wasn't outrageously gory, from what I recall. I don't think I would even really classify it as a horror film. But, I may not be remembering it that well.

15. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That was the 3rd of 4 films. They progressively became more gory, IMO, but the 1st and 2nd films were better. I never paid to see any of them. The 4th will hit one of the streaming services soon enough for me.

16. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I haven't seen any of them, but just generally, why have the purge? Just population control? I've just always thought they sounded too stupid to watch, but then I used to think zombies were stupid. ;) -- And I love Elizabeth Mitchell.

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I don't get why all those mobs of people are running around like lunatics when someone can easily shoot them down with a gun.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly my thoughts

19. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've seen the first two Purge movies and watched the first episode of the TV series. The premise is stupid and unrealistic, but if you just like hard core, mindless violence, then you'd probably enjoy it. Why any idiot would go out on Purge Night thinking they could commit violent crimes and not think they'd be a target themselves is just totally beyond belief. I'm surprised this show hasn't picked up the NRA as a sponsor.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I dunno, if you are unfortunate enough to spend much time on 4chan or some reddit subthreads or even darker places, maybe a few years of Purge would help us manage some natural selection and take back our online spaces a bit :D

In the third movie (the one I watched) it was revealed (?) that:
    the main goal of The Purge was for the ruling party to make hits on the "undesirable" people (political activists etc.) that they wanted to get out of the way... they didn't wait for people to come out they went into their homes. They didn't seem to much care who else might get hurt since they were confident all the "good people" would have the resources to be safe from the standard roaming hooligans.
    I haven't seen the other movies so I don't know how much of that was retroactive explanation or not.

stellie93 likes this.