The "PR Nightmare" over rip-off pricing begins

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

As predicted (TIVO changes its Service Plan business model -- again...) Tivo's "bait and switch" $99 discount is already attracting media attention. The Washington Post (those nice folks who brought down Tricky Dick) issued a consumer alert this morning:
    TiVo's new $99 and 'free' deals are no deal at all

You can now buy a TiVo digital video recorder for just $99 and change. Please don't​
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/11/tivo_holiday_discount_warning.html

Tivo must be taking lessons in marketing from the cell phone carriers.

Tivo: Love the product, hate the company.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo has more risk selling the box at $99, because if the buyer defaults and doesn't complete the 1 year agreement, then Tivo loses money. This option has to be more expensive.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Lots of discussion about this in several other threads, just as there was with the previous offers like this one.

I agree knowing what was going to happen to your rate after the time commitment is key. However if there is no way to lower the $19.95 rate after either the 1 or 2 year time commitment why wouldn't people just cancel the service on the boxes and get new ones?

Thanks,

4. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    If Tivo ties the $19.99/month rate to the box after the 1 yr commitment without spelling it out in the fine print, that will be very bad.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

What's to prevent the buyer from getting lifetime service on a $99 Tivo?

6. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    Well, literally, TiVo.

The new terms state that they won't sell you service for the box except on the $240/first year basis. (The CSRs are still inconsistent as to whether you can move to a different price plan after the first year.)

7. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    The above edit aside, "word," "this," "+1" and so on.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The guy from the Washington Post said it was in communication with TiVo that the declares the 19.95 rate is on the TiVo DVR forever. He does not publish the communication.

I think this is all a snafu over people making simple things hard.

I bet the deal is = do the 1 year deal at 19.95. If at the end of that year the customer does nothing - they get billed at 19.95 a month and likely end up in a new 1 year commitment.
    Now at the end of the first year - either select an appropriate plan like MSD if allowed to be the follow on plan
    or cancel service - and then activate an "old" TiVo at whatever plan the account allows for.

I am simply not buying that TiVo or anyone thinks 19.95 for ever is the new price. It would simply be unsustainable as a business model - even if deception is used to lure in a few unlucky souls

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Hi, you must me new here... :)

I'm interpreting the new subscription data to say that you pay $19.95 forever, if you buy the box at $99.99. But there are ways to buy the box at a price other than $99.99, either without a $200 instant discount or (as some observe) by paying some price other than $99.99.

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I thought that that was what the terms said though. I know everyone questioned what would happen at the end of the 2 years on the $0 +$19.99 per month promotion. While we believe you will be able to cancel and reactivate at the regular plans, no one knows for sure and won't for 2 years.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The terms now say the $19.95 rate continues month-to-month after the committment period. Maybe you will be able to get a $12.95 rate with an additional 1-year minimum commitment (as is the case now, I believe), but it's not clear.

12. belunos

belunos New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I would cancel in a heartbeat if they tried to push another commitment for the lower rate.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    See - that is what I think will happen

- I mean I am new here and all and have never seen this type of mass bandwagon to a wrong conclusion before but... ;) :D

14. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    If I already owned a premiere with lifetime service, then I might buy one of these $99 units, but never activate it and keep it in my attic for spare parts. It would be a good insurance policy and wouldn't have to send the unit back to be serviced or wait to order a part.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The problem right now is that you have no way to know, because all they say is that you continue month-to-month after your year is up. There is no other conclusion to make other than what they post for the service terms.

I agree btw, but atm it is unclear.

16. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    This is what I've been thinking. Buy it for the HD, remote, cables, etc. and never activate it.

If this board is confused by the stated terms of this pseudo-bargain, the general public doesn't have a chance. Glad I'm not working the TiVo switchboard today.

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I believe they really are taking a page from cell phone carriers/cable companies. Once your plan is up they are not required to keep your rate the same.

Apparently, Tivo didn't get the memo that most people hate cell phone companies and cable companies. People tolerate them because they have little choice. Nobody "needs" a Tivo and there are better, less expensive options out there.

18. rbendorf

rbendorf New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I just found this on another site, I am not sure if it applies to any other companies.

I spoke with 6ave by phone. They have worked out the pricing with Tivo. Tivo will honor the pre 11/14 pricing on all units SOLD before 11/14.

The Terms of Service on the Tivo website were revised to substitute the word "Activated" with "purchased":

SO, I'm going to guess that there was some miscommunication between 6ave and tivo and the customer service folks on both sides worked things out.

Thank you to both companies for doing so!

19. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Unfortunately looks like we were partially correct.

TiVoPony's comments

After the year commitment, the price remains at $19.99 but no commitment.

While this makes the deal a little more appealing, it would be even more appealing if the price was $12.95 after the year was over with no commitment especially if TiVo ramped up development and released a new model yearly that was worth upgrading to.

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    How is that more appealing? TiVoPony has said is that after a year the price doesn't change but you're no longer committed to continue service. That much we already knew. There's nothing that suggests you can re-subscribe at a lower rate, or buy Lifetime, or convert the box to an MSD rate (in fact, the MSD terms stipulate that it's only valid for new activations).