The Pick-up Artist - 8/6/07 - anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by UTV2TiVo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...

Advertisements

Hard to tell if I will like it based on the first episode.

The host is a player/mac daddy type so I think it would be stupid to try to change these guys into him but if he just helps them more confident and comfortable with approaching women it should be enjoyable and believable.

The show has a bit of a 'beauty and the geek' vibe to it. Well, the geek part anyway.

2. Aug 7, 2007 #2 of 11
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah haha I watched it. I will keep watching it. I am having a hard time believing it to be honest, but whatever. I have investigated some of these pick up schemes in the past. It will be interesting to watch the show and see what happens.

I got the Beauty and Geek vibe as well with it.

I did like the contrast of approaches in the bar though. I think it clearly demonstrated some differences that exist betwen guys who are capable of picking up women and those who have no chance. I was really expecting more cheeziness out of the 3 Master Pick-Up Artists to be honest.

3. Aug 7, 2007 #3 of 11
    UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    I too wonder about the authenticity of the women they were trying to pick up.
    They did say that there were no actors in the room but I wouln't be surprised if there was some sort of manipulation going on.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    I enjoyed it a lot watching the pros was ok it was watching the geeks that was fun. I felt so bad for the 45 year old guy in the bar with a bunch of early 20s. Outside the guy or 2 that were ok looking you could see they had no shot the second they started talking to the women. Can't wait till next week and see some of the progress the guys have made. Solid casting overall half of the guys have their work cut out for them the other 1/4 just need a little help and the others are probaly ringers.

I would not say actors or manipulation of the woman as good editing. They let the pros play for an hour or 3 and only need 2 minutes of the best footage to make them look good. You could see the stark contrast the second the pros hit the room they had an aura about them like they owned the place. That is key they just exuded confidence big time. The most impressive pro was matador he did not have the accent or good looks but has an extreme amount of game.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 11
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but no one is going to pick up women in that giant fuzzy hat. Or that ridiculous streaked hairdo the English wingman has. :p

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 11
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

The was my thought too. All of the Master Pick-Up Artists, I hate typing that, had way over-produced looks. It looks like that is standard operating procedure.

To me I would think that is crazy... but I am not about to say I understand women in terms of why the are attracted to certain things. :)

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 11
    vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    They way I understand it is to stand out from the crowd. A way to call attention to yourself.

8. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Anyone still watching? I'm on episode 5, and its pretty good. And yes, the ridiculous hat is part of his arsenal. It draws attention to himself, and girls want to touch it. Its another way of drawing the girls in.

9. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I'm still watching. I'm enjoying Rock of Love more for its car crash appeal, but I'm enjoying this. I suspect that the producers and the pick up artists expected more hook ups than this, and they are struggling to push more of this "make me feel better about myself" vibe.

The stripper hooked up with the guy because he had a limo. Let's not fool ourselves, people.

10. wooh

wooh New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    When Mystery dressed up in the beard, THAT was the best moment in the whole series. Seeing him lean on the railing of the bridge in his "Master Pick Up Artist" way with that outfit on, that was good crappy tv!!

11. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have to say that while this series started off well, it's definitely peaked (for me) when Joe W got bounced (I thought he was going to win). And I'm totally disappointed that the two dudes (who I'm sure women think) are the best-looking are in the finals.

I think the problem (at least from a dramatic sense) is that, since week 3, they've been moving WAAAY too fast with the skills. Considering you need to have a lot of practice - most dudes need 200+ approaches to find the right rhythm to their game - sending these dudes out after an afternoon session is just cruel. Do we have to be subjected to cats failing spectacularly?!?

Though, yes, I understand it from a production/logistics standpoint; they can't rent out the mansion for that long and, with no track record, it's not like they could make this season 22 episodes.