The Pick, The Pawn, and the Polish

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DanB, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone catch this? Tied three History Channels shows together -- "American Pickers," "American Restoration," and "Pawn Stars."

Talk about pre-arranged.

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Was okay, I don't normally watch Am. Pickers though. However the episodes were aired out of order for me starting off with Pawn Stars so it took a bit to realize I hadn't missed something. I wish that they had spent more time following the car progress.

3. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    The better episodes of these shows are the less obviously scripted ones. I thought these were awful.

4. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I enjoyed the threesome myself. I love all three shows though...

5. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Ehhh, no different than any other network doing a cross-show arc.

And 'American Restoration' first appeared on Pawn Stars. It's where Rick took stuff to get it repaired. So him taking anything there still to me is not so much pre-arranged as it is the show being smart and letting people see it beginning to end, which I for one like.

6. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    yeah, I know, but I think its the first trifecta.

Just some things rubbed me wrong, like when the American Pickers guy pretended to not know who Rick was.

Well, we have to find a Chevy 150 - lets go ahead and drive to Nevada hoping to find one on the way. Really? Is that how its done? A quick google search showed a bunch 150s -- some restored under 18k. Thank goodness the pickers were able to find one just in time. ;)

Or when the quote of $70k was given for six months if thats all he worked on, then accepted 3 months and then also did other projects.

Then of course he had to get the other car guy that Rick uses involved (why didnt Rick just use him first since thats who he uses now anyways).

After it was all done, I'm sure the old man got a car that was completely paid for upfront by the History channel (that is if he actually got it).

I just think everyone would be happier with much less scripted reality that all of these tie in shows just wreak of.

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I enjoyed the crossover. I like all three shows.

I agree it was a bit staged, but I can overlook that for what they were trying to do.

Did they say how much the restored car could be worth now that it is done?

Also, I loved the coffee neon sign. That was great to leave one side original.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Lame...I also saw the AP guys doing a promo for an upcoming show called Picker Sisters.....yuck!

9. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I wouldnt have painted directly on that one side, maybe put a piece of acrylic on that side then paint on that -- afterall folks say not to disturb the "patina" if you want to maintain its value. But I think he's more into "day one" type restorations than anything else.

I was kind of shocked on the price -- must have been because of all the new neon. Wonder where some customers get their cash from.

10. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    This is a cool tout. Thanks!
    I thought my family was the only one who was liking these shows (haven't tried Am Res yet.)

11. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    When is the 'Count' going to get his own show?