The people Vs OJ Simpson (whole mini series)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JFriday, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1 of 212
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area

Advertisements

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already. Is anyone watching this? It got good reviews. I thought the first episode was just ok. I had to laugh seeing David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian, he looked like Ross with a skunk wig. It took us a second to realize it was John Travolta as Robert Shapiro. I didn't think Cuba Gooding Jr. was believable as OJ, doesn't look anything like him, didn't have any of his mannerisms. I hated how they crowbarred every Kardashian girl name in the first episode, I guess everything Kardashian sells.

2. Feb 4, 2016 #2 of 212
    mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    I watched the first one. Agree that Ross makes a lousy Kardashian. But I think them using the names was ok, because the OJ trial seemed to have spawned this bizarre kind of fame.

And OJ is so iconic that I can forgive the choice of Cuba Gooding Jr. At least he's a good actor (whereas David Schwimmer, not so much). The Cato casting seems perfect!

I think I'll enjoy this because I've forgotten some of the details. Like I forgot he was suicidal and gun-toting in the slow-speed chase.

3. Feb 4, 2016 #3 of 212
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched last night. Brought back so many memories. I really enjoyed it. I assume they're portraying the evidence discovery as close to the truth as possible, so if true that the Bronco showed up parked erratically, OJ was seen running into the house shortly before 11, there was a trail of blood, there was blood in the Bronco, there were matching gloves, one at each scene, etc., then it will be interesting to see the inner workings of how he didn't get convicted.

Also interesting that Jackie Chiles Johnny Cochran said he had no interest in taking the case because it was a loser. I wonder how accurate that statement is.

Edit: Here's a "fact-checking recap" from Rolling Stone. They say it's fairly accurate that OJ threatened to kill himself in Kim Kardashian's bedroom, and that it's not accurate that Johnny Cochran was initially not involved in the case.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. Feb 4, 2016 #4 of 212
    bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    if you look past the fact that some of the actors don't look exactly like their real life counterparts, then it's more enjoyable. i liked it a lot.

i think cuba was really good... i think there is public oj, and private oj, and private oj is a narcissist and self important and more of a ****** then we care to know. we all loved naked gun oj. and i thought cuba did a good job portraying that.

poor sschwimmer.. he will always be typecast as ross. sad sack, self pitying, whiny ross.

does john travolta really look like that now? is he a victim of too much plastic surgery? or is that a makeup job?

look up the espn's 30 for 30 titled 'june 17 1994'. that was the day of the oj chase, but it had 3 or 4 other big sports headlines.. and they put together an hour of storytelling using only news footage (radio and tv)... and they got a hold of telephone communication with the police negotiator and oj in the bronco... amazing compelling stuff. it's streaming on netflix i believe.

the thing i am most looking forward to in this show is the behind the scenes story, all of the stuff that was not in the papers. stuff like chris darden's backstory, and the apparent leading up to his assignment to the oj case... he seems so unqualified so far, and has no confidence in himself... and how he saw johnnie cochran as a mentor.. never knew that.

also, i'm looking forward to seeing the actual timeline unfold.. i don't think i ever fully understood the chronological history of the whole case. when they found what... when they did what...

5. Feb 4, 2016 #5 of 212
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area

Advertisements

I think Travolta had a lot of makeup done to make him look different.

There will be a new 30 for 30 in June about OJ. The review I saw of this show said as good as this series is the 30 for 30 is even better. I think that one covers OJ's whole life.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #6 of 212
    jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I could not help myself. I was addicted to the O.J. stuff when it was happening. I never would have watched this unless I heard them talking about it on the radio. I can not decide if it is awful or worth staying with. John Travolta and David Schwimmer are making me squirm. I think the real life characters the actors are attempting to portray are too vivid in my mind to be able to watch someone else as them. Even Marcia Clark is not sitting right with me. What is compelling me to watch are all the evidence we, the public did not know because it was not allowed in at the trial. Unvelievable how the clues all pointed to O.J. immediately.. It must have been enormously frustrating for any of the authorities knowing he was guilty, but not being able to get him convicted. I still do not know how those lawyers who sat at his table can live with themselves. I mean he slaughtered the mother of his children just steps away from where they slept.

7. Feb 4, 2016 #7 of 212
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I see OJ. I see OJ, and he looks scared

8. Feb 4, 2016 #8 of 212
    bruinfan

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    and i would be scared cuz there's cops all deep in this.

9. Feb 4, 2016 #9 of 212
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Thank you, Mr. Higgins

10. Feb 5, 2016 #10 of 212
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    An' Bobba Bouey to y'all!

11. Feb 5, 2016 #11 of 212
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was very good.

It was indeed weird seeing Schwimmer in that role. I had no problems wiping away Ross when I saw him in Band of Brothers -- he was excellent in that. So clearly it depends on the role.

12. Feb 5, 2016 #12 of 212
    jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    ...and Travolta - I can not decide if he is awful or good. (I loved him as Bill Clinton in Primary Colors, thought it was great.) Hard to play people who are still walking around in front of cameras. (kudos Tina Fey)
    Was Simpson always that angry, or is that embellished?

13. Feb 8, 2016 #13 of 212
    smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Funny thing is I thought Cuba was almost a dead ringer for Marcus Allen, Simpson's friend, and was rumored to have an affair with Nicole Brown

-smak-

14. Feb 8, 2016 #14 of 212
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth

I discovered this video about a month ago, and it tells a compelling story which could shine a different light on the O.J. story:

It might reveal the real killer, though O.J. is still implicated as possibly hiring him to kill Nicole and stage the scene as an accident when Ron Goldman unfortunately happened to unexpectedly show up.

15. Feb 8, 2016 #15 of 212
    jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Watched about 23 minutes, I am so creeped out. I can not watch anymore.
    Did you view the whole film? If yes -
    Do you believe it is viable Glen was the killer of Nicole and Ron?

16. Feb 8, 2016 #16 of 212
    bruinfan

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    good one

17. Feb 8, 2016 #17 of 212
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ...a multiple part documentary, right? I clarified someone's post on FB about _this_ show, then someone else mentioned ESPN and I mentioned the orig 30 for 30.. then they clarified about this new June multi-part documentary?

Yeah, wow, that was back when I was a contractor and shared an office.. Listened to it all day long at work on the radio..

18. Feb 9, 2016 #18 of 212
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Yes, actually. The whole bit about the connection to Nicole was a complete surprise to me when I first found this video (there was no thumbnail image of Nicole and Ron before you clicked to play the video). If the presentation has any validity, I find it quite compelling. But you really need to watch the last half or third of the documentary to get to that part.

I was also hooked on the trial back in the day and actually videotaped the entire trial. I still have a box with the VHS tapes along with an old VCR. Heck, I've still got an old typewriter from even further back in the day!

My biggest problem with casting Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. is that his voice is way too soprano for O.J.'s deep bass voice. But I am really liking this presentation.

19. Feb 9, 2016 #19 of 212
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. It kinda took me out of it. His voice is just way too high. That said, i enjoyed it. I wasn't a junkie on the trial but I remember a lot of it well. Not living in California a lot of these people were not well known to me at the time and I wasn't sure about their relationships to OJ. Did his friends actually call him "Juice"? Was Kardashian really a lapdog toward OJ?

As an aside. About 4 months before the whole thing came down, my son who was 10 at the time had to do a book report on a sports hero and did OJ. The thing I took from it is that we were probably the ONLY people I knew who know who Al Cowlings (AC) was as my son "talked" about him as OJ's childhood friend in his book report :)

20. Feb 9, 2016 #20 of 212
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Yes the ESPN one is a 5 part documentary.