The Paul Reiser Show OAD 4/14/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Am I the only one who watched this?

I really didn't expect much of anything at all, just watched it because the promos were pretty good, and I enjoy Paul's work.

I was completely blown away by this show, not to say that there aren't parts that could use improvement, but I was laughing my ass off through most of the show.

Two scene's in particular, the lunch with Larry David (and if you didn't watch the clip after the end of the credits, find it someplace, it's awesome), and the clips of him on the game show with the contestants.

His friends I'm not to sure about, I'd keep Jonathan and Brad (the ones I recognize from other TV shows) and lose the other 2.

Was the conversation with Larry about him doing a show like The Larry David Show Meta? That was really blowing my mind because when the show started I was even thinking that it was a ripoff of Larry, then they started talking about Larry, then he has lunch with Larry, and they discuss the show. I found that incredibly funny.

2. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'll have to give this show a shot. I read a review somewhere earlier this week that said it's a poor ripoff of Curb. But I usually like to form my own judgements.

3. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I don't know what "Meta" means in the way that you used it there, but I was also comparing the show in my mind to "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and really liked that they had Larry in the show and bringing up the whole topic.

It must really be difficult when you are rich beyond your wildest dreams and have to try to motivate yourself to come up with stuff to do while opportunities fall into your lap. I'm referring to Paul Reiser and Larry David, of course.

But I am liking the show. It wasn't laugh-out-loud for me, but it's not the stereotypical 6-character beautiful people "Friends"-type of sitcom, or police procedural drama. It's basically "Curb Your Enthusiasm" without the profanity (except for the LD bleeps). :up:

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I totally forgot this was on. I'll have to pull this down from NBC OD.

5. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Meta-humor, Meta-joke...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta-joke

6. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I liked it, I had the same reactions as you did

7. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    It is clearly trying to be like the Larry David show and making no bones about it. It was ultra meta because it had Larry David on the show. :D

8. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I liked it, it's in a good place on the schedule ( thursday night)

I read that Helen Hunt is directing a future episode.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Now that I've learned my new word for the day ("meta"), they really had to address this whole issue right away in order to put the audience at ease and to stop thinking about it, as it can otherwise distract from enjoying the content of the show.

One established comedy technique is to address an obvious issue with the comedian as soon as possible in some self-deprecating way, and then continue with the rest of the routine. That's what Reiser HAD to do in the first episode. Good on him, and good on Larry David! :up:

10. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Odd that the first episode wasn't titled 'Pilot'. That threw me off thinking I may have missed one.

I enjoyed this one too. His frustration at the game show contestants was pretty funny.

I signed it up for an SP.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not a fan of Paul Reiser but I popped into this thread to see if I was missing anything.

What's the consensus here?

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
  13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Watched it while eating lunch today and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Giving it a few more episodes.

14. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I enjoyed and put it on SP. I loved the friend glueing himself to the car. You knew it was coming but it was funny. Them wandering around the warehouse - wonderful. The game show stuff was great! It reminded me of game show bloopers that we see.

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    It was better than I thought it was going to be. The two white friends, where do I know them from?

I know it's the style they use and all, but the tag with Larry and Paul really did seem improvised to me.

16. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    According to Futon, ya better watch quick. It had the worst "in-season" debut of any comedy on NBC ever...

i still liked it.

17. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ

Just reminds me how disappointing that series finale was. :(

(Mad About You)

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No kidding.

It got a 1.1 in 18 to 49 last night!

:eek::eek:

Sorry, Reiser fans but this show is toast.
    No point in setting an SP.

19. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Wow. I'm surprised it rated so badly. Probably up against the wrong competition. I have it on TiVo waiting for a slow night. Haven't set up an SP yet, but if it's anywhere near as good as "Curb" you can count me IN. :)

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well, one reason it rated badly might be found in the fact that I'd never, ever heard of this show until I read this thread today.