The Paul Reiser Show- Is this meant to be a comedy?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Apr 21, 2011.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm just wondering, because it seems someone paid someone off to put this on the air, or maybe someone owed somebody a favor (or somebody's holding something over someone's head). The show is like a poorly written cartoon, as if they think the majority of the audience is drunk or of limited intelligence and will be entertained by anything.

Are they trying to make fun of the traditional family sitcom? Is that what this is?

Maybe it'd be better aired as part of Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim"? Comes across as the same type of senseless "It's 2am and nothing else is on" dribble.

NBC cancelled SyFy's STARGATE UNIVERSE, and yet is airing this?

Sad. Very, very sad.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL!!!! I assume it is a comedy. :)

3. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    It's just not your cup of tea, man. Some of us like it though. :)

4. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    The first episode made me miss Curb Your Enthusiasm but that is it so far.

5. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    The Paul Reiser Show has been cancelled after two episodes. Office repeats will air in its place.

After I posted this I noticed that this information was already given in the other Reiser thread.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Others must not have found it funny.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was really funny, at least the first one....the second was meh. I just don't think the humor appealed to everyone. But still, it's not like this even had appeal to people even WANTING to watch this, people didn't even tune in to the pilot

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Now THIS turn of events I find hillarious. :D

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Again, I think only some people had even heard the name. I had to look him up in Wikipedia to even see what line of work he is in. Never saw anything he was in except Aliens and the standout in that was Sigorney Weaver.

10. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I recorded the second episode. Watched about 5-10 minutes and wasn't a bit interested in finishing.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The thing is, this show wasn't canceled because it was funny or unfunny. It was canceled because nobody was interested in it. It might have been the funniest thing since Seinfeld, but nobody even TUNED IN the first episode. This wasn't a case of a lot of people watching the first episode, it wasn't funny so the ratings dropped off. People just weren't interested.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    It had a slight amount of promise in the first episode, but the second episode was truly cringe worthy. :D

13. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Funny, we have as many threads about this show as there were episodes.

14. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    And I think more people have posted in these 2 threads than watched the show!

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL!! I am only reading this because I had never heard of this guy. Could that be the problem? Enough people didn't know who he is.

16. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I knew who he was (of My Two Dads AND Mad About You fame) but I also didn't think a show based around him would be very good. And I was correct!

Why don't they make 'The Uncle Jessie Show' and follow Uncle Jessie from Full House? Oh, that's right, because no one really cares about him anymore!

17. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I didn't really know who Larry David was when his show first started out. I only knew he had something to do with Seinfeld. His show worked.

18. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Maybe he can go back to doing 1800CALL-ATT ads.

Oh wait...

19. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I just watched part of the first episode online. It basically felt like a Larry David Show episode. I always thought Reiser was fairly funny but I don't care for shows that revolve around the supposedly real-life adventures of Hollywood types.