The Passage (Fox) - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 15, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The Passage premiered last night on Fox. Loosely based on the trilogy of books by Justin Cronin.

I thought it was a good start. The hour certainly went fast. I read the first book in 2010, I don't remember a lot, but I do remember it was a very good read, and interesting story. Top of the best seller lists for several weeks. I recall it being a huge book (off to check... 720 pages!).

Ratings were good. Being repeated this Saturday.

2. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Enjoyed it as well. I like the dynamic between the former Zach Morris and the girl who'll save the world. Also, for what I was expecting to be popcorn fluff, none of the characters are cartoonish villains -- that is, except for the scientist who proposed the idea of injecting the formula into children since they won't suffer side effects and the creatures you're not supposed to call vampires. At least in the pilot, the bad guys are being motivated to do questionable things in order to stop a pandemic.

3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Love the little girl--she's an awesome actress. Good so far. :up:

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Yeah, I'm hoping he dies a violent and painful death.

I enjoyed the first episode and as mentioned earlier, the hour went fast. Certainly, not a show stopper but it seemed odd that the DoD would expend such an effort to retrieve Amy after agent Whatshisname broke rank. Unless I missed something, she is just a random and easily replaceable kid to them. There have to be a number of neglected, fallen through the cracks 10 year old kids closer to the lab.

Martha likes this.
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think it was the kid escaping they were worried about, but Saved By The Bell blowing the whistle on their operation, which is...highly unethical at the very least, and probably highly illegal.

6. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I’m in also. The pilot was way too short but enjoyable.

Okay that clears that up for me too. There are a lot of orphan kids who could be taken so I didn’t understand why they didn’t give up on her after she first attempted to escape.

7. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    This was not at all what I expected. I liked the interaction between (I guess we're calling him) Zach and the girl. But the don't-call-them-vampires remindef me of Helix - a show I never finished watching.

I'll give it another few episodes.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It's not unusual to see shows premier with a two hour pilot. And inevitably, they're too long. It's difficult to make two hours go fast, and stay taut and focused.

This is the rare show that premiered with a one hour pilot, and could have gone for two.

Family likes this.
  9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    ME TOO! I particularly liked the scene where he stopped and made her give her Mom a memorial service by the river.

And - John Paul Gosselaar has grown into super hotness.

Beryl likes this.
  10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I enjoyed the pilot and will continue to watch.

11. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The start of the book was about the only part I liked. So far, they've done a good job of it.

I'm curious if they will do the "skip ahead" quickly, like the book did. Or whether this is the only part of the story they'll be showing (for now)?

12. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    I've never read the books--I assumed they were willing to subject innocent kids to this because of the psychological control the "vampires" seem to be exerting on them.

So this "vaccine" makes you live forever, drink blood, and gives you super strength. And we're going to send it to China or somewhere where there's a pandemic??? Doesn't sound like a good idea.

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This was basically a last minute decision to watch for me. I was interested but then immediately turned off as soon as I heard that it would be about vampires. Vampires and zombies have been totally played out as far as I'm concerned. I liked what I saw in the first episode but I'll be out if it becomes just another vampire show. Especially if they make the vampires sexy.

14. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I don't think they know/realize about any psychological control as of now.

15. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Well they already changed one of them to an attractive blonde for the TV show. Who is to tell how far they will go.

16. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    No, but they still have been changed to the extent that they would risk an innocent child's life which they probably wouldn't have done before--my theory. ;)

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Liked the pilot.
    Is there an explanation why they can only use healthy people?

18. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    From what I've read the first season will focus on the first part of the book and the second or third might skip ahead.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    btw...has anybody ever been in to a gas station and seen a TV, let alone have it be pointed only to the customer? Movies/TV sure LOVES to use that plot device ;)

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yeah, when I'm pumping gas. (gasTV)
    (…but I know what you meant ;))

pmyers likes this.