The Orville "Lasting Impressions" (S2E11, 3/21/2019, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Mar 21, 2019.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    From a nitpicking aspect, there were a few rough spots in this episode... but I liked the overall story of the episode quite a bit.

Message-wise, it was a little similar to TNG's "Tapestry," the idea that you can't pull one thread without having more unravel... but it was a different enough hook on that message to make this episode really stand out from that one.

I really liked Scott Grimes in this episode. I thought he did a tremendous acting job, and I liked that the show gave an opportunity to show a lot more sides to his character on the show. I also liked the interpersonal moment between Malloy and Grayson near the end.

I didn't understand the way the other crew reacted to Malloy's simulations. They seemed to react a lot harsher than I think they really should have. I mean, I'd understand some mild concern for Malloy... but them talking about locking out the program? That went way far. Their reaction as they left the "party" on the holodeck seemed very weird as well... like it was the worst, most painful experience of their lives or something, and I don't get where that came from.

The less said about the B-plot the better. Awful. They should have ditched that and tried to come up with something else... ANYTHING else.

Family, ThePennyDropped and lalouque like this.
  2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, and if anyone else was wondering what the song was, it was "That's All I've Got To Say," originally from The Last Unicorn soundtrack, back in 1982 (and originally performed back then by Jeff Bridges!)

FOX released a full version of Leighton Meester performing the song:

3. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    A lot of the episode was predictable once it moved to the holodeck, but I enjoyed it anyway since even though the plot were predictable, it was well done as was the acting. I kept thinking of the TNG “Booby Trap” episode, though.

Also the list of Star Trek guest stars grows with Tuvok (Tim Russ) showing up and he got one of the better gags in the episode with the WTF gag.

As for locking Gordon out of the program, I thought they threatened to do that unless he let it stop interfering with his duties.

What puzzled me was how Laura could Call Gordon when the simulation was suspended? Also why time in the simulation always seemed to be be running in real time?

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Enjoyed this episode. Even the silly Bortus/Klyden stuff.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    But again, was it really interfering that badly to cause that kind of a reaction? He overslept once, and he took a "cell phone" call while on the job once. Eh... and?

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Maybe they were still sensitive about it from Bortus' abuse of the holodeck (or whatever they call it on the Orville).

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Seems to me that Gordon could have solved his relationship problems by deleting the old boyfriend from after the breakup on, and not completely from the simulation?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    smbaker likes this.
  8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I was somewhat disappointed, I mean surely someone would've looked her up on the Union database and see what happened to her, right?

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You may remember that many records were lost when New York was vaporized.

10. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    One thing that was somewhat confusing is, if cigarettes hadn't been a product for a couple of centuries why did the synthesizer know how to make them?

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    They obviously scanned the ones that were in the time capsule, and used the pattern for the synthesizer.

(Let's ignore that the likelihood of items being that perfectly preserved in a time capsule for 400 years is totally implausible.)

lalouque likes this.
  12. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I have enjoyed the last few episodes a lot. One thing they all have in common.. very little Seth MacFarlane. I like how the other actors are taking front stage.
    Not that I dislike Seth, I just haven't got used to him in this role.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I want that battery modification for my iPhone :)

14. Gerryex

Gerryex Active Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I guess I'm in a minority as I did not like this episode at all!! In fact when any Star Trek episode happened mainly in the holodeck I didn't like those episodes either. To me other than the fact that having a holodeck in the first place is of course Sci Fi but once the action switched to the holodeck all you have is a mostly plain old non Sci Fi plot but with familiar characters from the ship. Yes, it can show more of the character of the person, but again to me that is not all that interesting.

Still, it was done well, but just not my cup of tea, especially after the really great two part episode with Isaac's home planet.

Gerry

alpacaboy and smbaker like this.
  15. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    TYVM! I'd love to get a copy of that through iTunes or Amazon.

16. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I can't say I was all that pleased with this episode just because I hate to see them start relying on the simulator/holodeck for stories. I would rather seem them avoid using that crutch as much as possible.

That said, I liked the episode for what it was. I loved the song (see message prior) and enjoyed the points that @LoadStar brought up about things unraveling when Gordon tried to delete the competition for his love interest.

I thought the B plot was pretty funny, and wasn't bothered by that at all. It was fun watching Bortus and his mate bickering with each other, agitated by their nicotine dependency.

randyb359 likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That synthesizer is a great thing, along with the holodeck computer: look at the complex physical things and worlds that they can create in just a couple of seconds of analysis and fabrication.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally agree with this. Their reaction was totally out of left field and not in proportion to what they had just experienced. Sure, the party may not have been something they would normally choose to do, but it can't have been so horrible to elicit those reactions.

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.
  19. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    If our technology takes us down this path, I would call that perfectly consistent with the way it has been going so far. I recall on the 386, a fractal-drawing program. It was beautiful, and it was slow. It took days (literally, it didn't just seem like it) to draw just a small corner of the screen. The 486 was much faster, and the Pentium drew it really quickly. We've moved on from DOS now, but I imagine if you ran a DOS emulator on any modern computer and then ran that program, it would be done drawing the fractal before you finished pressing the enter button after typing the command. Other graphics in the past were much the same way, very simplistic, to the point where it looked like they were drawn in crayon. Today, entire movies are created on a computer, and they look absolutely stunning.

The power needed to create holograms to this extent, and to create forcefields to make them feel realistic, is unfathomable today. In 350 years? It'll be a kid's toy.

20. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I didn't remember that this was 400 years into the future. It seems like that is way further than it would need to be. And so many social things haven't changed at all. How far in the future was TNG supposed to be?