1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Orville - 9/10 and 9/17

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by That Don Guy, Sep 5, 2017.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The first two episodes of The Orville will air on Sunday 9/10 and 9/17 simultaneously in all time zones at 8 Eastern, 7 Central, 6 Mountain, and 5 Pacific. Because this is immediately following Fox national NFL coverage, you might want to pad the ending by 15 minutes just to be sure. Also note that both episodes will be repeated in the Pacific time zone only at 8:00 Pacific; these "should" start on time even if NFL coverage runs long.

Speaking of the Pacific time zone...no, the grid isn't missing the repeats of The Simpsons and Family Guy scheduled for those dates; because of the two showings of The Orville, they are pre-empted in (just) the Pacific time zone.

MikeekiM, lalouque and tim1724 like this.
  2. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I don't get why they are doing this... I almost missed this episode because my OP picked up the 5pm showing, and considered the 8pm showing a "repeat", which technically is correct... Next week's 5pm show also is scheduled to record, but I ended up manually recording the 8pm showing because it is more reliable...

My 5pm show yesterday had nothing but NFL and local news the entire hour... I assume the same will be true of next week's show... :(

3. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I think we were "lucky" here in Los Angeles because the Rams game was on CBS instead. ("The Orville" did air on time at 5:00 sharp.)

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm glad I recorded BOTH, since the 5PM airing was NEWS, and it apparently aired at 6PM (caught the very beginning in my padding)..

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Fox is doing this (and yes, it is doing it again this Sunday) because it thinks it will get more people interested in the show if it airs everywhere immediately following its football coverage. Episodes of The Simpsons that air immediately following NFL coverage get better ratings than those that don't, so somebody feels that there is some "carryover effect."

As for the show starting at 6 (I assume you are in the Pacific time zone) instead of 5, I thought that was just in San Francisco, but most of the western Fox stations may be doing it, presumably because 5:00 Sunday local news is a popular show in that city. It wasn't a Fox decision; when San Francisco's station aired it at 6, it started with the last second or two of the NFL postgame show, so obviously it was recorded by the local station and aired an hour later.

6. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I just pad by 2 hours. Should be safe.