The Orginal Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by vstone, Aug 4, 2007.

1. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...

Advertisements

S3 owners, go look at your manual. On the cover in 1-1/2" letters it says "Tivo HD." Underneath in 3/8" letters it says "SERIES 3 - Digital Media Recorder." However, inside it does address the "Tivo Series 3 ..."

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    The TivoHD *is* a Tivo Series 3. It says "Series 3" clearly all over it.

3. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Never said it wasn't.

4. doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    Heh, at CES 2007 the TiVo booth handed out a tin of mints with "TiVo HD" on the top. I guess I should have noticed the annoucement back in January!!

5. Rucker

Rucker Member

Sep 21, 2006

Advertisements

I think vstone's point is that the original S3 is called Tivo HD also. The S3 I got in Nov says Tivo HD on the box. When someone on this forum refers to a model as the Tivo HD, or S3, you don't know which box they're actually referring to. Both terms could refer to either.

6. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    True, but I think it is commonly understood on this forum that people use "S3" to refer to the original version and "Tivo HD" to refer to the newer, less expensive box. Semantics aside, this seems like a logical way to distinguish between the two.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    and just to be a PITA, we could bypass all of this by noting that "Tivo_HD" with a space refers to Tivo High Def machines in general, and 'TivoHD" is the machine dubbed as such.

heck, it's a lose-lose proposition, I say model # prefixes may be in order.

I just don't see a way out of the confusion without all parties being flexible, and we know how often that happens ;)

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They are both Series 3 and TiVoHD. It is just TiVo is marketing the one as Series 3, the other as TiVoHD.

9. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The original box is the 'Series3' and the new box is the 'TiVo HD' in the branding. I don't think it is that confusing - hardly anyone ever called the original box 'TiVo HD' since TiVo never used that anywhere but some of the packaging. And it was more coincidence - the juxtaposition of 'TiVo' and 'HD' on the box, etc. Not a deliberate branding as with the new box.