The Onion

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nraygun, Nov 29, 2011.

1. nraygun

nraygun New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Has anyone had any luck with getting The Onion podcast working on a TiVo Premiere?
    The feeds that I have don't seem to work. When I contacted TiVo about it, they couldn't help.
    I'm looking into using Miro to get The Onion, but don't have it working completely yet.
    What I'd like to do is to have an Onion folder on my TiVo that automatically gets populated with the latest videos from The Onion.

Any ideas?

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I used to have a "Season Pass" for The Onion and it stopped working years ago. The newest episode is also very old. I'm pretty sure The Onion's RSS feed has changed and TiVo never updated to use the new one.

3. nraygun

nraygun New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    I remember having the same thing on my SD TiVo years ago. It just stopped one day.
    Right now I'm trying out a podcatcher called Juice and using TiVo Desktop's ability to transcode video from a folder.
    One episode showed up so far. I'm waiting to see what happens when a new video shows up in their RSS feed.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #4 of 10
    whompus60

whompus60 Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Dothan, AL.
    I believe The Onion is part of the IFC, and they stopped offering it as a feed a couple years ago. It is now offered on iTunes, Amazon, and Zune as far as I know.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #5 of 10
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Haven't gotten a new Onion in a very long time, either. Actually, the Onion was part of the TiVoCast. I think the Onion didn't see continuing to pay TiVo for the access. I think CNET was paying a ton of cash to TiVo for one of their TiVoCasts and that was one reason that TiVoCast ended. In fact, Molly Wood almost ranted on that. Outside of the TiVoCasts, I don't know for certain if TiVo pays them or they pay TiVo, but somebody PAYS somebody.

6. Dec 2, 2011 #6 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You mean this feed? http://feeds.theonion.com/onionnewsnetwork

It works fine for me.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #7 of 10
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  8. Dec 2, 2011 #8 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, I was just responding to the post from whompus60 that says that The Onion dropped their feeds. The feeds are fine. Tivocasts are complete fail anyways. TiVo should have supported open standards and not forced providers to sign deals with TiVo for their free podcasts.

9. Dec 2, 2011 #9 of 10
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Technically they don't. TiVo will add RSS feeds sent to them. Unfortunately the RSS feeds need to be in a specific format otherwise the TiVo can't read them. Since many aren't that limits what web videos work on the TiVo.

For anyone curious, here's what TiVo emailed me when I tried to get them to add G4's web videos:

If the moov data is after the mdat data, it won't work.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm referring to "TivoCasts". I'm not even sure if they are supporting them anymore as several providers gave up on it. And it did require a licensing deal of some sort.