The Official TiVo-Spotting Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HTH, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mar 13, 2002 #1 of 1029
    HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE

Advertisements

Have you spotted TiVo, TiVo logos, or other TiVo references in movies, television, radio, newspapers, comics, magazines, or other popular media? Well this is the thread in which to announce and discuss your TiVo Spotting, or just to check to see if anyone else spotted it first!

(Let the moderators' thread-merging begin.)

2. Mar 13, 2002 #2 of 1029
    sllerts

sllerts Mac DTivo Fanatic!

Feb 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Tivo got huge air time on Undeclared last night. The big guy who's a friend of Eric's at the copy shop (is that the other guy from Tenacious D?) uses Tivo in...interesting ways. I forgot which actresses he watched for, but Tivo was mentioned a number of times.

Steve

3. Mar 13, 2002 #3 of 1029
    BuggyBoyVT

BuggyBoyVT Siriusly Nutty

May 4, 2001
    Millville, NJ
    I wonder if TiVo pays for those mentions and boxes in the background?

4. Mar 14, 2002 #4 of 1029
    rastephens

rastephens Active Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Montgomery,...
    TiVo got a mention on The "Rick and Bubba" show yesterday morning. Rick and Bubba have a syndicated morning radio show out of Birmingham, Alabama, and they have stations mostly in Alabama, but I think some in Tenn and GA too. I can't remember the exact context of the reference. I think maybe they were talking about TiVoing the Celebrity Boxing matches last night. They bill themselves as "The two sexiest fat men alive."

Rick and Bubba

Richard

5. Mar 14, 2002 #5 of 1029
    modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA

Advertisements

There were lots of threads about this months ago, but I figured I'd post it in this official thread:

There is a TiVo on Friends in Monica and Chandler's apartment.

6. Mar 14, 2002 #6 of 1029
    TiVoMonkey

TiVoMonkey New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    The Jungle
    The gameshow "Beat the Geeks," on Comedy Central, often has a Tivo as part of it's grand prize on every show.

And a year or so ago, on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Stewart asked a guess if he had Tivo, and Stewart said, "It's great, I turn it on and it says, 'Would you like to watch the Simpsons?'"

7. Mar 14, 2002 #7 of 1029
    Dalebill63

Dalebill63 New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Burlington NJ
    Tivo got a mention in an episode of the Chronicle (SciFi Channel)

8. Mar 14, 2002 #8 of 1029
    LUVmyTIVOinKC

LUVmyTIVOinKC Best title ever, Dad

Jul 25, 2000
    Overland...
    My wife told me that TiVo was on the "Price is Right" on Monday.

9. Mar 14, 2002 #9 of 1029
    emjay

emjay New Member

Nov 20, 2001
    New York, NY
    They spoke about it on Opie and Anthony yesterday

10. Mar 14, 2002 #10 of 1029
    joeinma

joeinma New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Mass
    It has been mentioned in the Get Fuzzy comic strip the last few days. For those of you who do not get it in your paper, go to www.boston.com and click on the link for comics and then you should be able to go back and read the story line for the last week.

Joe D

11. Mar 15, 2002 #11 of 1029
    pin87a

pin87a Member

Mar 13, 2002

12. Apr 3, 2002 #12 of 1029
    HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I can't merge threads myself, but I can quote from them here.

13. Apr 3, 2002 #13 of 1029
    GBaz

GBaz New Member

Nov 27, 2001
    FL, NJ, US
    Don And Mike have mentiond it often (radio)
    Adam form liove lines and also talkied about it it think even Drew has (radio)

14. Apr 3, 2002 #14 of 1029
    Tenacious Lee

Tenacious Lee Engaged-ass man

Mar 25, 2002
    Somewhere...
    On StreetSmarts the other night, one of the questions was "What electronic device's slogan is 'TV your way'?"

The host was shocked that the guy got it right, telling him that he's the first person to ever guess it correctly, and later started talkin TiVo to the camera when they came back to the studio (methinks he likey the TiVo)

And yes, thats Kyle Gass of The D

15. Apr 3, 2002 #15 of 1029
    TivoDaddy

TivoDaddy Active Member

May 3, 2000
    Bay Area
    There is a late night talk show host here in Los Angeles (Mr. KABC) on KABC radio that mentions it once in a while. About a few weeks back, somebody asked him what was a gadget that had changed his life, and he mentioned TiVo. He went on and thoroughly explained what it does, how it works, pricing plan, etc. He's very well-informed, as somebody else brought up the topic of Moxi's new machine, and he went on to say that TiVo was coming out with something similar to their machine.

16. Apr 3, 2002 #16 of 1029
    BuggyBoyVT

BuggyBoyVT Siriusly Nutty

May 4, 2001
    Millville, NJ
    :rolleyes:
    Moxi-schmoxi

17. Apr 3, 2002 #17 of 1029
    TheSimpsons

TheSimpsons Posts: 140,518

Sep 16, 2001
    New York
    Hmmm....Lets See:

Conan O’Brien on the Rosie O’Donnell’s show.
    Rosie comments on Conan's show being on so late at night. She then says "I TiVo it!" (because she can’t stay up that late) Conan says TiVo’s gonna save my life”. (as more viewers are able to watch him if they TiVo his show rather than trying to keep themselves awake.)

Jamie Kennedy ( the Jamie Kennedy Experiment on the WB) /Roseanne/Conan O’Brien-On late night with Conan O’Brien.
    Roseanne: (to Jamie Kennedy)-Your show looks funny when is it on.
    Jamie Kennedy: Well we just premiered 2 shows….but hey you got TiVo, TiVo it!
    Roseanne- “oh,ok” (in a somewhat confused tone of voice)
    Conan- (saracasticly) No, don’t TiVo it, its not good for the networks. (ironically this is coming from a guy who works at NBC a major sponsor of TiVo) Looking into the camera: Don’t TiVo it…this is what you do..., smiles and trails off. Crowd laughs.

Conan O’Brian-During his monologue
    Well President Bush gave his state of the union speech today. Did anyone see it. (Crowd is silent)
    Conan: Wow, that’s great. I love America. (Imitating an audience member) Don’t worry we’ll get it later on TiVo.

Friends: Rachel tells her father that she got TiVo. Her father asks what TiVo is. Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) replies apparently its slang for pregnant.

Friends Sightings: A TiVo sits near the TV in Monica and Rachels apartment.

Heres one which many people didn’t see ….....(In “the one with Joey’s Award-create an autorecord Title wishlist if you want to see this episode) in Joey’s apartment he is about to put an acting award near his TV, in the background, its not distinct, but if you look carefully, it is clearly a Sony SVR-2000 TiVo and a figurine of the little TiVo guy. The little TiVo guy didn't look like the standard plush doll-it was on a stand.

Saturday Night Live:

The latest Britney Spears one …Horatio Sanz plays a pothead college student, Britney Spears plays one as well. They carry on a conversation that makes no sense. A midst the jumble Horation Sanz says “Well I TiVo’ed that” Britney Spears responds with more nonsensical talk “Yeah, well at least its not red anymore.” –------Maybe she was talking about the record LED, we may never know!

Chris Parnell on another SNL skit: Plays a newscaster at a party with other newscasters- we hear him talking about Ally Mcbeal to some of the other news anchors. He says “Well I TiVo’ed Ally Mcbeal last night”….

The Weakest Link: Anne Robinson asks a question which is supposed to be an insulting question to the contestants: “Who thinks TiVo is a member of the Jackson Five?”

Undeclared: The one with Ben Stiller-its mentioned above.

Adam Sandler guest stars and tells his friend he got a TiVo. His friend responds. “Oh yeah how is it” Sandler: Its cool it knows what you like and tapes it for you and stuff. *Note he says TAPES.

Steven’s Dad has a TiVo in his house.

Steven asks his dad for more tuition money, his dad says he can’t afford it. Steven says “Oh, yeah but you could afford TiVo. Yeah, hell with me getting a college education, as long as you’re able to watch Ally Mcbeal three times a week."

Judd Apatow creator of Undeclared also mentioned it on his online newsletter. (there was a post of this somewhere on the forum.)

The Ellen Show-This was probably one of the greatest ones. Ellen mentioned TiVo a dozen times, explained what it did, and even had goofs about it.

Futurama - During the beginning of the episode when the giant “FUTURAMA” logo appears, there is usually small text written at the bottom of the screen. There are shorts jokes usually written there (i.e.-Place your eyeballs on the television set for cheap laser eye surgery), well on one episode it said: “Hey TiVo suggest this”, pertaining to TiVo’s capability or recording shows as suggestions (shows you might like).

[​IMG]

The Rosie O’Donnel Show: Rosie is talking about the MTV show “The Osbournes” and how she loves it so much. She says "I honestly…I mean I literally watch this show everyday on my TiVo."

Rosie talks TiVo a lot! Anytime she talks about a TV show she will say something like"so...I TiVo'ed it. I seriously think her extensive, suttle advertising is going to sell units!

;)
    Then of course heres another TiVo comic...

-The Simpsons :) :D :cool: :eek: :p

18. Apr 3, 2002 #18 of 1029
    Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Err, that's PvP, not PPV, and it's Player vs. Player. Just FYI.

19. Apr 3, 2002 #19 of 1029
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    There was an article in Entertainment Weekly a couple weeks ago that said something to the effect that TiVo had given units to writers/producers/actors in a way to get cheap (smart) advertising, hence the name is starting to pop up on shows all over the place.

20. Apr 4, 2002 #20 of 1029
    trojanrabbit

trojanrabbit Cat Referee

Mar 10, 2001
    Near the...
    Since I did not initially see this thread, I'll reference the one I just started here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53016

It appears that one member of Boston Sports Talk station WEEI's morning team has purchased a TiVo, and he was trading barbs with his co-host, making it sound like it was too difficult for him to set up. Looks like not much else will be said until he gets a chance to play with it over the weekend.

The afternoon "Big Show" also mentions TiVo once in a great while.