The "Official" "It was a Vigin Media conspiracy" thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by unitron, Nov 12, 2011.

1. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    To keep other threads on topic, you can post all of your "Virgin Media forced TiVo to orphan the S1s" theories, pro and con, here.

And you can blame someone from the former colonies who hasn't got a dog in this fight* for starting this one if it'll help keep the peace amongst all you UK denizens.

*Unless this foreshadows an eventual kicking to the curb of US S1s.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Oh please :rolleyes:

Forum topics have always gone off at a tangent occasionally. It has even happened on here in the past. But now it's suddenly completely "not on"? :confused:

I mean, seriously? Even the title of the thread is misleading. It would be more accurate if it were "You can try to submit a claim against TiVo (UK) Ltd for loss of service, but good luck 'cos it might take some time and cost you more than the LT sub and you still might not win".

3. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How did I know that Carl would be the first to jump in here and offer neither a pro nor con theory, but something that's off-topic from this thread's topic? :)

4. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    And I think you only started the thread to win that bet.

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well seeing as I've already stated my position on this elsewhere it seemed pointless to repeat it.

6. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs

Really? Can we have that in writing?

Oh wait....:D

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. There is no conspiracy.

8. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    Ah but you would say that if you were trying to cover up the conspiracy. :p

9. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    And round and round we go...... :D

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And yet here you are.:D

11. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    As with any topic of this nature, the onus is on those who believe there is a conspiracy to present their evidence and arguments.

In order to prove the conspiracy one has to not only demonstrate that the agreement between the Virgin Media and TiVo prevented TiVo from continuing the series 1 service, but also that element of the agreement was put in at the request and insistence of Virgin Media.

At the same time, one has to ignore the alternative and much more plausible explanation, that TiVo had been waiting for some time for an opportunity to exit a small and unprofitable service, and took the first opportunity to do so that did not result in all of their customers being without the opportunity of an alternative TiVo service.

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well someone did ask; even if it was a little sarcastically. However, this is a new thread specifically on the subject so I thought would be fair enough.

I'm polite like that. Unlike some people :)

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you aren't here (in this thread) to state your position, pro or con, on the alleged Virgin Media conspiracy, then why are you here, in this thread?

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I could ask you the same thing, seeing as you haven't posted anything relevant yet either. All you've done is had a go at me. At least I've answered the question :rolleyes:

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm here because I created this thread so as to separate the Virgin Media conspiracy thing from the legal claim against whichever version of TiVo it turns out be thing.

You popped in, said nothing about the conspiracy theory, and started in complaining about the title of the other thread.

When that off-topic-ness was pointed out you claimed to have already addressed the topic of this thread elsewhere.

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No. As I explained, threads go OT all the time with (usually) no problems. However, you put on a Mod's hat (that you don't own) and unilaterally made a decision that no-one else asked you to.

There's a big difference.

Threads go OT all the time, especially when the subject of the thread has already been discussed to death in other threads.

Which is perfectly true. As has Pete77 and a some other people.

Of course, you would know this already if you were in the UK and therefore a regular poster to the UK-specific forums. But you aren't. You just come in here and take over by making pointless threads then telling people how and what to post in them.

Incidentally, I notice that, in this thread that you have created to discuss the 'conspiracy', you have yet to state your position on it.

So you're a hypocrite too.

17. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    16 posts in this thread so far, only 2 have been on-topic. Can we please stop trolling each other and get back to debating the topics in hand?

Nobody has posted any evidence or theories yet related to the subject, so I assume that there aren't any, and that everyone has now accepted that Virgin had nothing to do with the TiVo Series 1 service being discontinued.

Of course, the two parties who can really solve this matter are the two least likely to.

Virgin are unlikely to make a statement that their agreement with TiVo had nothing to prevent Series 1 service continuing.

TiVo are unlikely to make a statement that they would have liked to continue the Series 1 service if only Virgin had allowed it.

18. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    While I don't think there was a conspiracy I wouldn't go that far. I lean more towards a c**k-up theory as I doubt that the fate of some 10 year old S1 users was on the radar of either Virgin Media or that of the TiVo Inc team negotiating the deal.

I can see that Virgin would want to avoid other people shipping a competing new TiVo and so ask for an exclusivity clause in the contract, and indeed from press releases that seems to have been the deal reached. It doesn't seem likely that TiVo Inc would have insisted on an exclusivity clause if Virgin didn't want one.

Given the numbers of S1 users involved I doubt TiVo Inc would have raised the issue of exempting S1 users from the exclusivity clause with Virgin, even if they thought about it. They would just be desperate to do the deal.

So in summary my version of the conspiracy is that while Virgin Media asked for exclusivity the demise of the UK S1 was just unintended collateral damage.

19. dmeldrum

dmeldrum New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    London, England
    I agree, I'm sure Virgin were keen to ensure that TiVo would not sell their boxes to Sky, and wanted to avoid BT or others offering a Freeview alternative.

20. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    One of which was mine; and I'm the one being chastised for going OT. Oh the irony :rolleyes:
    Sounds about right to me.
    That sounds reasonable enough to me.