The Office - Official Casting Discussion Thread, Complete with Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    This has been mentioned in the thread for the season finale, but I decided to start a new thread so it could be discussed without spoiler tags.

You've been warned. Continue reading at your own risk.

2. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Rumors are that James Spader is about to sign on as the new boss of the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin. However, there's a twist. Because Kathy Bates is no longer available to play the head of Dunder Mifflin/Sabre due to her commitments with "Harry's Law," the rumor mill is saying that Spader's "Robert California" will be hired as Scranton branch manager but will soon manipulate his way into replacing Jo as CEO of Dunder Mifflin/Sabre. That would then leave the branch manager gig open again, and the timing might be just right for Catherine Tate, who was supposedly the front runner after the season finale, but couldn't take the job due to a live theater commitment in London through September.

Read more:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/24/james-spader-the-office/

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/24/james-spader-the-office-boss/

3. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Spader. Really? Oh well. We saved the last office episode with Steve Carrol so we could always remember how good it was, after it goes off the cliff. Though you never now, I liked him on Boston Legal, but I think he needs William Shatner to balance him out. ;)

4. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Spader cracks me up. I think this is/would be a great choice.

"Do I look like someone who would waste my own time?

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Don't underestimate Spader.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Exactly...love him or hate him, he's a very accomplished actor....

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think he will be great. Much better then that farrell guy.

8. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Um, has anyone read the second post in the thread? He won't be the boss of the Dunder Mifflin Scranton branch for very long at all, as he's replacing Kathy Bates as the head of Sabre.

9. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I wonder if maybe they won't have a 'branch manager' and just have him stop in maybe every other episode or for a few minutes each one to check up on stuff. They could do this and then have Jim or Andy or Daryl run the office as his 'assistant to the manager'.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    but he will be on every week where Kathy Bates wasn't.

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Umm, well, the second post quotes the "rumor mill" which could mean almost anything could happen I guess. The rumor I heard is that the monster from Super 8 will come and chow down on him.

12. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Gaah! I hate speculating about it. I don't think I like any of the people they have tried out so far so I'm just going to wait and see what happens in the fall. I'll either love it and keep watching with enthusiasm or I'll hate it and keep watching because I used to love it. (Yeah, I torture myself that way.)

13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    He'll have the whole cast to balance him out. I think it would work well.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I said "rumor," but the info came from Entertainment Weekly, which is a pretty reputable news organization. I'm sure they had some solid info before they printed the story.

15. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I'll keep an open mind, but Spader was my last choice.

16. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I wasn't a fan of his performance in the finale. It was more creepy than funny. That could be the writing, though.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Like I said before, awesome news if Spader gets the job...he did awesome in his cameo.

The other folks who tried out really sucked imo...not even close to the weirdness that will fit in perfectly in "the office".

18. ozzman73

ozzman73 Home Made

Nov 27, 2006
    I wonder if Spader will repeat his performance in Secretary with Erin. Now that would a good episode of The Office

19. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    "Secretary" has been on my Tivo for years and I watch it frequently.
    I love him in that.
    Well, in anything, but that movie has two or three of his finest moments in acting and IMO that's saying something.
    That moment when he realizes she is in for the duration is absolutely priceless- you can watch the comprehension progress through his mind.

I trust him implicitly.
    If this comes to pass and Robert California is written as a comedic character he'll do fine and if he is asked to play it straight he will prove an excellent foil for the rest of the cast.

He can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes.

20. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I bet you do. Meow!