The Office - general question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeff125va, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Just started watching this show before Christmas, seen about 3 episodes so far. Have they ever actually explained what the deal is with the characters talking to the camera? At first I just figured it was like Malcolm in the Middle or Saved by the Bell, only more frequent, but then I got really curious watching "The Injury" episode last night when they wouldn't let the cameras into the CAT scan room. Is there more to that aspect of the show that I'd understand if I'd been watching from the beginning?

2. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    It's suppose to be a documentary.

3. chavez

chavez New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    supposed to be a documentary

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Cameras follow them around and every week they vote one person out of the...no wait, that's a different show.

Fun fact: Jennifer Fischer stared in another mockumentary, written and directed by her, called LolliLove.

5. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    It must be from her guest appearances on Six Feet Under that she's so familiar to me, but I just can't remember the story with her character on that show - can anyone refresh my memory? She played Sharon Kinney on the first two episodes of the final season, which aired this past summer.

6. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    She was the girl Rico dated briefly that didn't call him back after he took her to a wedding and then he couldn't take the hint and had her landlord let him into her apartment to check up on her.

7. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    Thankfully, there is no breaking of the fourth wall in this show, per se. I hate that.

8. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Yeah, thanks! I knew she must have had a pretty significant role because she seemed so familiar to me. I remember that episode of Cold Case (but not her in it) but that wouldn't have made her seem so familiar.

Makes sense that it's a mockumentary, although aside from when they're actually talking to the cameras, they don't usually seem to be acting unnaturally like people do when cameras are on them. Of course, I've only seen three episodes. Love this show so far though.

9. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    It's more documentary than reality. If you ever watch the baby shows or Trauma: Life in the ER on Discovery, it's closer to those than a "reality show". The aim isn't Wife Swap here.

Greg

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just an FYI in case you weren't aware: This show is a remake of a very successful British sitcom by the same name. The concept is that a documentary film crew is there in the office, presumably making some kind of film about life in their particular office. We are never told what the point of the film crew is and it doesn't really matter. Ultimately, it's just a very creative way of filming a sitcom and telling the story.

11. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I get the concept now as devdogaz explained it in the next post. I've never seen any of those shows, so I'm not sure what you mean. I guess I'm just saying I'm not sure if I would have realized that the characters were aware of the cameras if not for the obvious times when they're looking directly at the camera or talking to the documentary guys. Even without the documentary aspect, it doesn't have the feel of a typical sit-com so it's hard to say.

12. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    (/hijack on)

I read your post and it took me back - wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. God that show was friggin brilliant....

(/hijack off)

13. twm01

twm01 Member

May 30, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    heh heh heh

you said hijack off...

heh heh heh