The Office 1/05 - Booze Cruise **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bryanmc, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 63
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Man, what a moment with Pam and Jim. That was gut wrenching.

This is two episodes in a row (I think) where Meredith has been shirtless. Gross.

And it doesn't look like she stuck to her New Year's resolution. :D

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 63
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Well, if the cruise was on a Friday night, it's technically the weekend (her resolution was to "stop drinking...during the week", right?).

Poor Jim, but they had to do something like that if they're going to keep their relationship the same without having them eventually hook up (I'm sure he'll regret telling Michael about his crush).

I also like what they're doing with Dwigt and Angela.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 63
    Chapper1

Chapper1 Broncos Faithful

Jan 1, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    I felt really bad for Jim when Roy made his announcement...

I loved what him and Pam did to Dwight's stuff in the beginning, putting it in the vending machine and giving him a bag of nickles...

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 63
    JadeWolf07

JadeWolf07 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Is it just me, or was that a complete ripoff of 'Undeclared'?

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 63
    Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    Dwight "driveing" the boat was funny!!!

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 63
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    "Michael stands on the front of the boat and says he's the king of the world within the first hour, or I give you my next paycheck."

...Then, Jim points at his watch after Michael does it as they're pulling out of the dock.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 63
    Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    I liked that they used the "Training Day" episode from the original Office and still made it work. My wife commented that Jim and Pam seem to have more chemistry than Pam and Tim, I agree.

But I'm done compairing the original to the American version. Dare I say, at this point I prefer the new one. :eek:

I've noticed more and more people talking about this show where I live, from many different walks of life. I'm hoping the new time zone won't kill the momentum.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 63
    jurysch

jurysch Ever-negative

May 18, 2005
    Allen, TX
    I was excited to see the show finally back, but since this was the first episode shown on Thursday night and thus possibly seen by a new audience, I kinda wish it was a strong episode. It was still moderately funny but probably in the bottom 3 episodes of season 2.

I get a little nervous when they get out of the office environment though. They seem to lose a bit of their steam when they don't have the familiar setup of the main cubicle area, break area and Michael's office. And while I know they have to advance the story with Jim and Pam at least a little bit, they were getting a little soap operaish on this latest ep. Plus it's getting a little annoying how Pam can't seem to stand up for herself with Roy...

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 63
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Having just seen Undeclared on DVD, I immediately recognized the scene too.

Jim claimed he was broken up with hot handbag girl during the party at his house. Were they on a break, or was he lying? There was a brief second when they were talking about their high school days when I thought Roy would realize he slept with her years ago when she was a cheerleader.

I had to pause the show and scream 'Noooooo!' when Roy went up to the mic. I knew exactly what was coming :(

Ultimately though, I think this is good for Jim/Pam. Jim finally has an ultimatum before which he has to act.

Bonus points for Michael for saying the smartest thing he's probably ever said ('Engaged? BFD!')

10. sonnik

sonnik Innovations.

Jul 7, 2000
    Phoenix,...
    I've been a big fan of the American version since episode one, I just have rarely commented about it here... but I read most show threads after every new episode.

To be honest, I'm surprised - I figured the general response here would be that it was too sappy. I didn't think so, I just thought that would be the response here.

As long as this show keeps growing, I can almost totally guarantee the chemistry of the cast - Pam and Jim especially - will be remembered as one of the best dynamics television has ever seen long after this show is gone.

11. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    i agree - not the strongest episode to to start off the "must see tv" time slot.

12. Skittles

Skittles West Coast citizen!

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    It was a so-so episode right up until the last 7 minutes, then I was hooked. The guys jumping out the window had me in stitches. And I'm sure others will disagree, but I actually liked the fact that despite his ignorance and tackiness, it was Michael Scott who ended up being Jim's rock during his woes. The irony of Michael giving Jim romance advice was just too much, and yet it still served as a fairly poignant moment.

13. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I said that about the season 2 opener....which also took place out of the office.

Why do they go "out" for all the "big" eps?

Bad planning....

14. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Meredith kills me. When Michael mentioned the booze cruise, she was the one that was the most excited.

This was a pretty good episode. I felt bad for Jim, but at least his Cheerleader was hot, he shouldn't have hurt that relationship. You will always do well with other chicks if they already think you are in a relationship.

Single and desperate makes it kinda tough.

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I like how every once in a while we are surprised by Michael in a good way. First with his sales skills to tim meadows and then again in this episode consoling Jim. That was one of my problems with the british version...

16. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    This was the first episode I've seen, I had no idea it existed (must be that rock I'm living under). It was pretty damn funny.

17. jschuman

jschuman Active Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought this episode was great.

I especially enjoyed when Michael was trying to shoehorn his employees into the Gilligan's Island "roles". The Harlem Globetrotter line was great. (Another example of quasi-comedy-intelligence in this show. If only Toby had shown up on time so he could call him a 'Robotic Invincible'.)

18. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    I agree. Not having a set season run length, though, makes it a necessity for Michael to be somewhat beneficial to the company.

19. Steeler Mike

Steeler Mike New Member

May 5, 2005
    Jacksonville...
    His politically incorrectness of the Gilligan Island character assignements were hysterical. The Indian woman was referred to as a native that sometimes comes to the island & Darrell was a Harlem Globetrotter.

And when Michael was talking about Titanic & he said that the boiler room guys were singing their "ethnic songs", so he then said Darrell maybe should be in the boiler room, or something like that.

Pam: "I think you mean The Hunt for Red October."

Edit: DOE! JSchuman types faster than I do.

20. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Seattle
    Am I the only one who was surprised that Jim would confide in Michael in the first place?