The Office 04/14/11 "Training Day"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by appleye1, Apr 15, 2011.

1. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Wow, overall not as good as I thought it would be, but there were some very good moments.

The whole shaving scene - very funny, but painful! And Stanley sucking up. I didn't think I'd ever see that!

"Drink some soap!" :D Poor Andy.

2. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    So Will Ferrell isn't going to be the new boss, that's for sure.

3. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    That was pretty bad.

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    It started out funny, but midway I started going 'bleh'. I think that was when they started the major Michael does it this way, New guy does it that way with how to answer the phone and such.

There were some funny moments.

Poor Andy - the funny guy. And Daryl buying cowboy stuff. Kevin and his toupee. I am surprised no one said anything about that. Best 2 seconds - kevin catching in his mouth, the pbj sandwich tossed by Michael. Like a seal.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not a fan of Ferrell so this was actually better than I expected.

I can see why the producers wanted him as he does have good chemistry with Carrell but a lot of the episode felt flat to me.
    (Maybe too much of the funny went over to Parks and Recreation.)

So is Dwight going to swear loyalty to DeAngelo or swear revenge on Michael?

6. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    The thing I don't get with what they are doing is why is Ferrell alternating between off the wall nut and serious manager? That he unexpectedly flips into serious manager mode throws me off.

7. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    "Dunder Mifflin. This is."

LOL

I busted up laughing when I saw Kevin with his rug. Had to pause the TiVo for serveral seconds while I laughed.

8. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    This. I was expecting far worse.

9. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    "No, I know what you're doing, just quit it." is exactly what I've wanted to say to the writers in regards to Pam and Jim for quite some time now.

10. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I love Ferrell and I thought this episode was a bummer. Except the last part of the closing where he tells off Jim and Pam then says he hates their baby. :D

Also, was it just me, or was the Jam baby monster sized? She looked huge - but not grown, just an overgrown baby.

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Time to shave your lips..

12. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    It seems like they were trying to build up the new boss (I refuse to even spend time confirming what his name is) as this superficially nice guy, who's actually a bit of a jerk on the inside and slowly reveal that during the episode. They completely succeeded in doing that.

The part where he made Andy eat the soap shows he can be a bully, and that's a much more deliberate choice to make than Michael's often well meant (and sometimes effective) bumbling antics.

While I think Ferrell's acting worked, his character just doesn't make me want to see more of him in a new season.

Did it seem like the interview where Michael pops his head up from under the camera and the new guy started chasing him was the actors breaking out of character to anyone else? I'm guessing Steve and Will have actually written a movie together.

13. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Maybe Jam are just really small people?

14. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I did laugh when Andy poured the coffee on himself and then drank the soup. That was deliciously cruel and desperate.

15. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The turtle (non-turtle) scene had me in tears!

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I loved the bit when they were hugging each other but it was backwards.

I don't like Will Ferrell and can say that I still don't. He had a few 'moments' when I liked him in that role, but I hope he doesn't stay there.

17. pudding7

pudding7 New Member

May 13, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What are the writers doing in regards to Pam and Jim?

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    It's actually a common misconception that babies are small. They're really just far away.

19. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Unfunny married couple with a kid. YMMV, but I preferred them before the marriage.

20. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    LOL. :D