The OA - Netflix

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by alevenso, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. alevenso

alevenso Member

May 8, 2016

Advertisements

I just watched episode 1 of the new Netflix original show "The OA" - Holy moly, Netflix has hit another home run... if you liked Stranger Things you will love this - similar feel without the 80's nostalgia - but great story - great cast - really compelling story right from the first scene - highly recommend -

sunnyworld likes this.
  2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's a lot less family friendly than Stranger Things.

I'm at the beginning of episode 3. I like it so far but I'm waiting for something big to happen.

Young Donald Trump was a complete turn off in the first episode but he's become less of a complete a-hole, unlike the real one.

Never mind. I just went ten minutes further. He's still an a-hole.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    What if you didn't?

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
  5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I was hooked from the first episode then I felt betrayed by the "payoff" Not sure how I feel about this one.

sunnyworld likes this.
  6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I enjoyed it. I'm not sure what I think about it exactly, but the story was really well presented, and I think it did an awesome job with character development.

aadam101 likes this.
  7. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've finished the fifth episode of eight and will probably have to force myself to finish the remaining three. I will for completeness's sake and hopefully there's a big payoff that'll make it worthwhile. It's so depressing at this point that it's not very entertaining. Why do I want to watch people be miserable?

8. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Dropped it about 15-20 minutes in. After reading the spoiler-ful review, probably was the right decision.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Five episodes in and I'm likin' it ...

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think I fell asleep halfway through episode 7 and woke up halfway through episode 8. After watching the last 20+ minutes, I have no desire to go back and watch what I missed. I give it 2 stars. Maybe somebody can spoilerize the answer but why the heck was Prairie named The OA and when did both groups begin referring to her as that. I may have dozed off during that part too.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The Original Angel.

12. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Please remember that this is NOT a spoiler-allowed thread...

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just stayed up all night and watched it all in one sitting. The entire time I kept feeling like this was either the best tv show ever or it was the worst tv show ever. I'm not entirely sure still. My brain needs to process this for a bit. There is almost nothing you can say about this show that isn't a spoiler.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I disagree with the spoiler filled review. There was a lot more going on.

sunnyworld likes this.
  15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I think I generally agree with Sepinwall's spoiler-filled review. Although I enjoyed this series, it was very slow-paced. I enjoyed the lead up to, as well as the ending. But I think this is a Season-One-and-Done sorta' story. No real need for a second season, though I would check it out if it was, ahem, brought back to life. ;)

16. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Do we have a place to really discuss the show. I have my one and done thoughts.

aadam101 likes this.
  17. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I was very disappointed - and confused - with the ending. I agree with a lot of what the spoiler review said, but would love to hear what others think happened in the last 10-15 minutes.

18. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Would watching just the first and last episode make any sense? I don't think I want to make time for the whole series but am a bit curious.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    If you like reading the first and last page of a book, then sure.

Robin likes this.
  20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Well here are my thoughts spoiler style
    The only things we know that are verified by anyone other than OA/Prairie:
    1. She was blind and then she wasn't - Some people have hysterical blindness. She could have been blind due to early childhood PTSD and then it went away
    2. She was in a video on the subway
    3. The FBI in the house was strangely in the house asking why they were there vs why he was there

Everything else may or may not be true:
    1. Her childhood
    2. Her capture
    3. Her healing stories
    4. Her five captured friends
    The OA initially guessed her name was revealed to be short for "Away" but it could really be "A Way" as in "A way to Cope" later on it was referenced as "Original Angel"
    You could say its both. This article references her initial thought for the OA and then the subsequent thought:
    https://www.bustle.com/articles/2004...ficant-meaning
    My wife and I had the Original Angel as our first guess but when she first talks about she reference Away as her first guess.

Of course remember everything is through her story telling so far. All the OTHER people are hearsay so to speak.

As of right now I believe the whole story is one of invention to possibly cope with some PTSD or she could in fact be Sybil with multiple personalities.

Even at the end nothing was shown to be magical. They just got up and danced at the shooter and he probably went WTF long enough for him to be tackled. We did not see her being cured.
    Now if they did a second season they either have to go X-files with lots of conspiracies or Sybil with nutso.

Martha likes this.