The Next Food Network Star - OAD 6/15 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by EMoMoney, Jun 18, 2008.

1. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...

Advertisements

Nobody watched this week? Boy you could have flipped a coin to choose either one of those two. Both were dead weight. Jeffrey talked so much about soul food and produced none of it. And Jennifer with mashed potato grilled pizza?

2. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    I was pleasantly surprised at how much Lisa (Cleopatra haircut) changed from the first episode to the second. She was much softer and... likable. I think she paid attention to what the judges said to her in their first critique (she was in the bottom two) and really changed her attitude and style. Didn't like her at all in ep 1; found myself rooting for her in ep 2.

As for this week's bootee, agree with you - could have been either one of them; didn't really care which one.

Deb

3. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm sorry, I'm not getting the Martha Stewart love, I'm really not! Talk about pretentious! She didn't want to judge Kelsey based on the taste or marketability, but "she doesn't eat that kind of food" and she let that affect her opinion. (I'm not a Martha Stewart fan, by any means.)

And I JUST don't get the Lisa & Kelsey breaking down in *tears* at just the thought of meeting her. Blech. Get rid of the emotional babies, I hate that stuff. :)

Lisa *had* to hold her own this week - she's got a marketing background. If she fell down in this ep, she'd definitely not deserve it.

Either one of the bottom 2 could've gone, I agree.

4. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I was waiting to see the fallout from Nipa taking all the cayenne, but I guess it was a big non-issue. I wonder if he even knew it at the time, or if he first found out that she took it all when he watched this episode.

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Susie Fogelson is SO annoying. Every time she talks it's like she's telling someone their family was just killed in a car crash.

I think I'm rooting for Aaron with his bacon wrapped potatoes and that vinagrette. I like Kelsey too but the judges were right, she seems a bit fake at times. Lisa improved but I still think she is pretenious, trying to teach us peasants how to eat a proper meal. I wanted Nipa to do well because I think it would be interesting to see food other than the standard American, Italian shows on Food Network. But she really crapped the bed with that peanut-less peanut spice. All the flavors in Indian food and she chooses probably the most basic to go with?

Speaking of crapping the bed, I almost forgot about Lisa's 15 seconds of fame. That gave me a good laugh.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I still find Lisa annoying, but my wife is calling Lisa and Adam the two finalists this season. She's been right for the past three seasons very early on.

It's Lisa's eyes that get me ... whenever she smiles her eyes turn into slits like the Rankin animation dolls:
    [​IMG]

7. MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    Bahahahaha... windracer!

I noticed that about her eyes too, and it was freaking me out when I finally watched this last night. Not only were they slits, but kind of a weird doll-like curved slit like an upside down U. It happened a LOT during her Martha lovefest. You nailed it with the Rankin-Bass!

I'm not a Martha fan either, but I found it amusing when she was asked if she'd watch a show with Kelsey and she said something like "I don't know for how long".

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    The contestants better be glad I am not on the judging panel.

Jeez, how stupid does Nipa think I am? Does she think I can't measure and mix TWO dry ingredients properly, so I should buy her product instead? Is she kidding me?

If she had wanted to do a whole blend of spices that had a lot of different things in it, where it might have taken a lot of skill or experimentation to come up with the 'perfect' blend, that's one thing, but TWO freaking ingredients? Oh, puhleeze.

Edited to add: also not getting the Martha love. It's bogus to turn your nose up and say 'I don't eat that kind of food'. Taste the damn food, and evaluate it as if you were part of the target market OR buying it for someone else who is.

Jan

9. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002

Whew. And all was right with the world again. :D

(Well, possibly until 10:00 EST tonight ;) )

10. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    +1. Presumably the judges all have personal tastes, but if pleasing a particular person is not part of the stated challenge, then a contestant can't reasonably be faulted for not taking those into account.

I did like Martha's candid/funny comments at the judge's panel though.

Lisa's improving but she still bugs me.

Actually I like Kelsey a lot -- she does need to tone down her over-caffinated cheerleader act, but I see an awful lot of potential there. She is able to connect with the camera and think on her feet -- I was impressed by how she handled the challenge where they ran out of time and she didn't freak out but just said, well, stuff gets screwed up sometimes, if it happenned on the show we'd talk about how the home cook could handle the problem. I think if she's able to make the personal adjustment on toning down her personality a bit, she will do really well.

11. robpickles

robpickles Lurking Around

May 19, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    What's the point of this show?

The winners never actually last more than a few episodes.
    The only exception is Guy Fieri and he doesn't even cook on his show.

Dan & Steve - The gay couple first season - gone.
    Amy(?) from last season - What happened to her show? Saw a promo - did it ever even air?

I have watched all the seasons so far, but I don't just get what the execs want. The run them through all these tasks and then the winners don't even cook or have a show anymore.

Someone please enlighten me.

Rob :)

12. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Guy has a show that he cooks on. It is called "Guy's Big Bite" It is on saturday mornings. He also has "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" As well as a couple of other specials. He is one of the most popular personalities on Food Network.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  14. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Looks like Dan & Steve still have the show, they just changed the name

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ds