The Newsroom S02E09 "Election Night, Part 2" 2013-Sep-15

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by john4200, Sep 16, 2013.

1. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

Hmmm, did The Newsroom suddenly become a fairy tale or a Disney movie? I cannot remember the last season finale -- for any show -- that had such a sappy, sweet ending.

I couldn't tell whether the Michigan call that Jim made early turned out being correct or not. Was that the final vote tally on the computer screen?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I froze it and went back, and yes, their call won by around 30-40 votes.

I love Sorkinese, but at times he gets just a little too pat & snappy for me. Still a very entertaining show, but about once or twice an episode (and especially last night) I call out for him to dial it back, just a bit.

And yes, we had everything but sparkly unicorns last night.

I did like how every time Sloan was about to talk, Will would cut in. And she finally called him on it, and he had some witty Sorkinest reply.

3. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I just want next season to be about Sloan and Don and Charlie, who I'd love so see start dating Jane Fonda.

The rest of the cast can die in a bus crash.

4. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I liked the episode, regardless of the sap-level.

The scene with Reese and Charlie in the newsroom was classic. And yes, the Sloan interruptions were great... and when she yelled out "Come on!" I actually laughed out loud!

T

5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

the good - at least the angst between will and mcmac is resolved, and a different story line is set for season 3. and someone finally spoke to maggie about her cutting her own hair.
    me, too! :D i also liked when sloan deduced who bid on her book, and don threatening to countersue jerry - awesome.

6. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    All I could think while watching the proposal scene was that everyone who said that there was zero romantic chemistry between Will and Mac were totally vindicated when they kissed. :)

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Felt like watching siblings kiss. Yucch!

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Also, when Will was responding to the ex-Romney staffer's question about why he thinks he can call himself a republican, I hope aindik was listening. :D

9. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...atives_elections_in_Michigan,_2012#District_1

The vote was as close as the stats woman said it would be, but her call was correct. Because of the Libertarian and Green candidates, the winner didn't get 50% of the total vote, but it probably would have taken too long to explain if she had said it would be 48% to 47%.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My theory, given the quality of the actors involved, was that the awkwardness of their chemistry was deliberate because of the awkwardness of their relationship, and therefore it was brilliant, Emmy-worthy acting.

So much for that theory...

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Has Jeff Daniels ever played a romantic lead before? Maybe it's him.

12. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What was with Will and "the ($250,000) ring was a practical joke?"

Way to get her, buddy.

He should have told her he sent out an intern to buy the ring again.

13. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    There's no reason to use a cover of a classic song by a great artist.

WTF at ending the show like that, and not use the real song.

Yuck.

-smak-

14. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't have as big a problem with using a cover as you do, but I did not like the particular cover they used at all. I would have preferred the Townshend album version. But (assuming it was not just a cost or licensing issue) I suppose I can see why they would think the Townshend album version is too gimicky for the atmosphere they were going for in the show. Even so, there is an unaccompanied version by Townshend that is not gimicky:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF1sVrFCkrY[/media]

15. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    THANK YOU. It ranks pretty high on my "worst covers" list. And they didn't just play a snippet of it, it sounded like they played the whole thing! Bad idea, all around.

Greg

16. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm usually bored and annoyed with the love story soap opera bits but I wasn't bothered by this week's goings on. Having things move forward bother me less than dragging on forever. I did like Sloan's direct and wordless resolution of both the book and Don issues, it seemed very consistent with how she handled the guy who posted her pictures.

The too close to call election ended up going their way by a margin of 27 votes.

[​IMG]

As this episode was completed before they announced that the show had been renewed I'm not surprised so many things got wrapped up with happy endings. There was a very much a feel of a series finale to it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see nothing of the Genoa/Dantana fiasco next year, other than a reference to it in the past.

Attached Files:

17. bsnelson

bsnelson Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    McKinney,...
    I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to defend the use of the Townshend cover.

Lyrically, it's a beautiful song, and the sentiment fit the mood set at the end of the show. Those of us of a certain age, had the original been played, would be taken in by our memories of the song from its heyday. Those who are younger might well not know the song at all, or have no ties to it, and the cover version conveyed the great lyrics more clearly than the classic, while still paying homage to a really good song.

Now, as for the other stuff, well...

- To those who could never see Will and Mac together: The reality was even worse than the "fantasy". The awkwardness (which I'm sure was scripted) didn't work, it just looked awkward.
    - Sloan got her man (which was great), but since we're going to fill the rest of the last half of the episode with sugar and honey, she should have stormed off of the set while they were live and went into the control room to get some more of "that".
    - It had some good moments, but it wasn't finale material. I hope things will go better next season. As I'm not a Sorkin devotee, it's a little humerous to see the incredible loyalty to him, but then again, I haven't watched The West Wing yet (I have the DVD set)

Bottom line, I'm still in, but they've got to get their balls back. :)

Brad

18. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
    I enjoyed this episode. And maybe I need to rewatch S1 but I think the character playing Don really stepped it up this season.

19. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I don't have a problem with them using a cover at all, in fact, I'm a huge fan of great covers.

This wasn't a great cover. It did a good job of making the lyrics heard, but the singer is the kind of guy I absolutely hate, who doesn't sing the way he does because that's his voice. He's affecting it, attempting to convey emotion when there is none. It's not natural emotion, it's poor acting via vocal style. :)

Greg

20. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I did a Homer-style "woohoo!" when he brought up the "loyal opposition" line. Both sides do it and is the reason why I no longer discuss politics or admit my political views to anyone (other than to the ballot box).

--Carlos V.