The New TiVo Web Site

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mbernste, Jun 11, 2015.

1. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ

Advertisements

After having used it for a little bit, I have to say its quite nice. I just wish they didn't have to use Flash for the video.

https://youtu.be/yh7Qz5ecqXM

2. FJFbHj356y

FJFbHj356y PeterNE

Apr 28, 2008
    online.tivo.com?

Yes, it is pretty good. I just wish the guide was more flexible in its scrolling.

The guide is not accurate compared to what the box sees.

3. dalabera

dalabera Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Unusable!!!:
    Problem Playing Show
    We are unable to detect your TiVo streaming device from this location. If you are currently away from home, streaming video may not be available at this time.

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I get the same error when using TiVo Online, even though it streams fine to my iPad.

5. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011

Advertisements

No issues here when using chrome

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Are you at home on your LAN or somewhere else? Right now it's an in-home thing only. I figure out of home use will come, after all it's not any different than out of home use on a smartphone or tablet.

When I try TiVo Online at home, in Safari, it says it can not detect my Roamio on the network. I rebooted the Roamio, still the same problem.

I tried Chrome, because I don't run the Adobe Flash Player in Safari. Chrome returned the same error.

7. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I can't get the recorded shows to play on my desktop... am I missing something?

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It only works with unprotected shows, even in home, and only if you have the latest Flash player installed. Also if you have a Premiere or Roamio Basic then you need a standalone Stream as it's required to transcode the video to the proper format.

9. Jen_C

Jen_C New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    I also cannot stream recorded video from my Roamio Plus to my PC. :confused:

The online.tivo.com website recognizes my login, displays what's recorded on my device, offers me the "Watch" icon option on shows, and then presents this error message after I click it: "Problem Playing Show - We are unable to detect your TiVo streaming device from this location. If you are currently away from home, streaming video may not be available at this time."

I am at home on my home network, have the latest version of Flash installed, and am trying to stream unprotected recordings. Any suggestions? FYI I'm using Firefox. Thanks.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you ever used the Stream before? You might have to go through the setup once on an iOS or Android app to enable it. (there are some "I agree" check boxes that I think need to be hit at least once to make it work)

11. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    It works for me but is not all that useful. I have an iPad and can more easily walk around watching with that. More importantly, I can use an iPad away from home whereas the PC version doesn't allow that.

I also have a slingbox which gives me 100% flexibility to watch anywhere and to stream shows to a real TV via a Roku. What is taking TiVo so long to get anywhere near that?

If this new PC version worked away from home one could plug a laptop into the TV and watch on a big screen away from home. But nooooo, TiVo still doesn't readily allow that. Imagine that watching television on a television is still considered too advanced for the TiVo app.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I suspect a lot of the missing features are due to Cable Labs requirements. Slingbox exploits the analog hole so they can do whatever they want. TiVo is dealing with digital video recorded via a CableCARD so they have to clear everything they do with Cable Labs and adhere to their rules and restrictions.

13. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I get that. But the fact that Slingbox can work around it shows it's a distinction without a difference. Yes, TiVo's hands are tied but why is that? It's like the fact that movies that are rated R are unavailable for kids in the movie theater but then are available every other possible way to watch. Who are we kidding with these half-measures?

I don't mean to rant but watching the TiVo app on a real TV would be very useful to me. Slingbox's interface with TiVo is not as streamlined as using the TiVo app directly (obviously). I spend a decent amount of time away from home base that this is something I could really use. Not another way to watch from home where I already have TV's everywhere hooked up to TiVo devices.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Slingbox is exploiting the analog hole. If you connected it via HDMI it would have the same limitations as TiVo because HDCP would prevent it from streaming any protected content. Once component goes away Slingbox will have the exact same limitations as TiVo with less ability to work around them. (TiVo at least has that new way of moving protected shows from TiVo to iPad)

15. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    The copy protection isn't the main issue I'm addressing - it only prevents me from watching HBO/Cinemax channels as a FIOS customer.

I'm talking about the additional ability to watch on an actual television screen while away from home. TiVo doesn't allow that while Slingbox does - either by connecting a laptop to a TV or streaming from an iPad/Android device to a Roku.

16. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    What's the good in that?

So this new site is just another answer to a question no body asked...

TiVo you are going the way of fast food restaurants, getting too much on the menu.
    Stick to being a DVR service; leave the other (crap) to those that can make it all work!

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe this is a Cable Labs restriction. When playing protected content on a PC they not only require that you protect the digital stream they require you to protect against screen scraping. TiVo can't do that with the Flash plugin.

I suspect this feature will be marketed toward old Aereo customers, in which case they will be dealing with OTA recordings which are never protected so this is not an issue.

18. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Wow...the new website is nice......so much better than the old one, and appears to be responsive (the old one was so slow when trying to setup recordings, manage the box, etc)

19. Jen_C

Jen_C New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    I just found that the online site will stream to my laptop (Windows 7) if I use Internet Explorer but not Firefox. Any ideas/is this a known bug?

20. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Just tried it on Firefox 38.0.5 and it worked no problem. I am using Win8.1 x64 on this desktop though. Will try my Win7x64 laptop a little later and see if that works as well, if no one else does earlier.