The New Tivo Android App

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rboutin2, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1 of 76
    rboutin2

rboutin2 New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What are your first impressions of the tivo app? I used the ipod touch app once, and thought it was awesome, but i couldnt really ever use it cuz my itouch is usually docked to my alpine cd player in my truck. I always have my phone with me though. I am loving it. Everything is working perfectly, no problems. i am using a droid x rooted with darkslide x rom, and two standard tivo premieres.

2. Jan 6, 2012 #2 of 76
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Unfortunately, the Marketplace says the app isn't compatible with my Toshiba Thrive tablet, so I guess this version is for phones only? :(

3. Jan 6, 2012 #3 of 76
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Supposedly limited to phones and 7" tablets. Not sure why.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #4 of 76
    RDRomance

RDRomance New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I'm using the Tivo Commander app for android on my Asus Transformer tablet with no problem.

5. Jan 6, 2012 #5 of 76
    shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    The app isn't compatible with my Motorola Photon, and it meets all the specs listed for requirements.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #6 of 76
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    What "New TiVo Android App?" There are several TiVo Android apps. If you are talking about TiVo Commander, that is not "new".

EDIT: Now I see what you are talking about. There is a brand new app simply called "TiVo", by "TiVo, Inc". Unfortunately, the damn thing apparently doesn't support tablets, making it pretty much useless for any of my needs.

I installed it on my phone, anyway. Others are right. It is kinda slow. But it does have a guide function, which TiVo Commander does not have. But the guide seems so slow as to be almost unusable, and with no on-the-fly filters. Has nice sound effects. I like the layout.

Has a lot of promise! They need to speed it up some, but most importantly, it absolutely needs to support tablets!

7. Jan 6, 2012 #7 of 76
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It supports tablets in a way since it supports the Kindle Fire and some other 7in Gingerbread tablets. I think the issue is it doesn't support Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich. Once they add support for that, it should be available to tablets.

And it needs a setting for your default TiVo. The process of scanning and having to select the same TiVo each time makes the startup process excruciating.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 76
    almostinsane

almostinsane New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    It installed on my Galaxy Nexus which has ICS but I haven't used it yet.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 76
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    i have the kindle fire and this app doesn't seem to be available on amazon and i can't use marketplace. is it available on slideme does anyone know?

/guy

10. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    It is here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tivophone.android

I believe this only works with the Premiere Tivos.

11. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    yeah, google marketplace won't seem to accept kindle fire signups. can i register the fire as a device to google marketplace? there's not a single google app avail from amazon. where's all the 'openness' i've heard about android? i have to jump through hoops to run any app that amazon doesn't supply. a pox on both their houses! [g]

/guy

12. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Market tells me the app isn't compatible with my phone. I've got Android 2.2 on a Samsung Intercept (the intercept has a somewhat weird screen size, is the app limited to certain screen resolutions?).

13. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It doesn't see my Premiere at all. Tells me I'm away from home. I have my phone right next to the router that the Tivo connects to lol Any ideas? Tivo is hardwired to the router via Cat6.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It said that to me when I tried to login using my Tivo.com username. So I just selected the Premiere and entered my MAK and it worked that way.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe it has been submitted to the Amazon Appstore and TiVo is just waiting approval.

16. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    It doesn't even give me an option to enter my MAK. It's bound and determined the phone is on a different network than the Premiere (I only have 1 wireless network). I completely shut EVERYTHING down, and restarted one by one (Modem, router, Tivo, phone). Same thing.

17. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    tks!

/guy

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Margaret posted in the other thread that table support is coming ... though it seems strange to have waited all this time for an Android app and then when it finally comes it's not for all Android platforms. Oh well.

19. phetish

phetish New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (original version - unrooted with stock Gingerbread rom) and the Tivo app works great.

Probably the best feature of the app is the "bulk delete" option. You see a scrollable list of all your recording, put check marks in the ones you want to delete, and hit delete. Poof - all gone :)

20. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    It works great on my 7" Galaxy Tab (T-Mo version), but it's not working on my Nexus One rooted with CM7, can not see either of the 2 Tivos on my homenetwork (1 PXL, 1 plain P).

The unofficial Tivo Commander has the same problem, can not see the Tivo's on my Nexus One, maybe issue with the phone, and not Tivo app. But Tivo Commander allows me to enter my Tivo's IP address manually and can still get full functionality with that workaround. The official Tivo app does not allow manual input of Tivo's IP, so it's useless on my Nexus One.