The new SyFy/RHI version of The Phantom

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Jun 20, 2010.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

Anyone see it? Any opinions?

I never saw the movie version with Billy Zane, since reports were they mixed mysticism and the occult in, which I don't like and which I don't believe the Phantom character would normally be connected to.

From pictures I've seen, tho', it seems they at least stuck with the Phantom's traditional appearance.

This new one...

The closest they come is to show the old costume and say it belonged to earlier Phantoms, up to the current guy's father. The new costume doesn't even seem to look like the pictures SyFy originally released, tho'. Those were tinted purple to at least somewhat resemble the original. Onscreen, the thing looks entirely black, and at first didn't even have any portion of the face open. Seemed to have some sort of mesh over the bottom half of the face. (Apparently a part of the costume's making the wearer bullet-proof.)

Once it's being worn, tho', the mesh is gone, the lower half of his face is visible.

Big concession. :rolleyes:

This is an even worse visual representation of the character than the costume in Superman Returns was.

So far the story is interesting enough, for what it is, and they do seem to be holding to a few of the original elements.

I still don't like the costume change, tho'. I mean, when you change how a comic character looks, it really takes a big bite off the idea of "bringing him to life onscreen".

Interesting too is that this was originally meant to be a two night mini-series, and instead SyFy is running the whole thing in one night, then immediately again following, then once more (of all times) on Monday afternoon into early Monday night. Makes me wonder if someone felt it was a loser that needs to be quickly "burned off" and forgotten.

2. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As is usual with the SyFy movies, it would have helped if they'd had a better script. I quit paying much attention to it halfway though.

I can forgive such things with a weekly show where the scripts are generally written in haste, but not a one-off/pilot. I didn't believe for a minute in the lead character as the Phantom. Maybe I'm just getting too old. :)

The movie with Billy Zane wasn't all that bad, if you discount the "magical powers from the skulls" part of the plot. They captured the spirit of the comic strip just fine, it was in the pulp tradition. They could have toned down Treat Williams a bit, though.

3. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I enjoyed it. Thought it was exponentially better than I'd expected. Then again, I had very very low expectations. Given the ending, I'm wondering if a series will follow?

4. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Considering this was a SyFy movie, I thought it was pretty decent. I like the way they kept the comic book history while updating the character.

5. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I thought that they took too long to have him suit up. But once he did, I kind of wished they took longer. :)

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Just finished it. I thought it was pretty interesting. Anyone know how it did in the ratings? Will we see more of the Phantom?

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I can't remember the last time I watched a 2-hour Syfy Original to the end, much less a 4-hour. But I did watch all of this, and while I wasn't exactly excited, I didn't regret it. If it became a series (this was a backdoor pilot), I'd give it a chance.

And I (unlike gastrof) LOVED their solution to portraying a costume that will always look completely ridiculous. Show it, mock it, and give the guy something new and less ridiculous. Works for me!

I do think, however, that there are slight logic issues with having a secret society led by a secret superhero...who rides on top of an ambulance being chased by TV reporters! 22 generations kept the Phantom a secret from the world; this clown blows it the first day on the job. :D

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I had this horrible feeling that not only were you not joking, but that clicking on your link would irrevocably shatter my faith in humanity.

I clicked. I couldn't help myself.

*shatter*

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I just finished watching the last hour, and I completely agree.

Now that the origin has had its exposition, I'd like to see a few normal episodes before deciding that it sucks. :)

11. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I finally watched this show and I thought it was ok, the second half was much better than the first.

I would watch it if it came out as a series.

Z