The new iPad/iOS TiVo app (4.1)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ted Todorov, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov New Member

Mar 17, 2014

Advertisements

Dear TiVo,

You might want to look at the latest reviews you are getting on the App Store - the vast majority are angry, indeed furious, one star reviews demanding reverting to the old version. At a minimum you should release the old one as "TiVo Classic".

I've barely used the new one - but one immediate reaction - the new remote control - are you kidding? It looks like something designed by a 5th grader. The old one was very nice, and reflected the appearance of the hardware TiVo remote.

Yes, I just saw that there has been a beta program for it, etc. but I may be a regular TiVo user, but I hadn't really looked at this forum since I originally signed up in 2014 right before I bought my Roamio - because everything was working fine - why bother. Now I am bothered - bad reason to become involved...

ClayKY likes this.
  2. ffitzgerald39

ffitzgerald39 Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Buffalo...
    Agree completely. Not only is the app hard to use on the iPhone, but the streaming seems to fail completely in the evening, 8PM central time. A sign in at that time gives a message of connection failure with no way to get out without powering down and signing in again only to repeat the connection failure. I tried everything including powering down the phone, the TiVo, the router, and deleting the app and reinstalling it. If I leave the app with the connection failure screen in place until the next morning and reopen it the failure screen comes up and immediately switches to the my programs screen and is ready to stream. It’s almost as if TiVo servers overload and go into a failure mode during prime time. This is an original Bolt hooked up to an outdoor antenna trying to stream programs recorded from the antenna with 100% signal strength, so no cable signal issues. This is probably the long term future for TiVo so they better get it fixed.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Huh. The new app has worked so much better for me. Odd.

tthkbw likes this.
  4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    OP, you're addressing Tivo in your first line, but this is not a Tivo supported board, we're independent.

My only issue with the new app is they buried the box selector in the settings menu and took it away from the home screen, I use the ipad app to manage 3 units and having to go back into settings every time to go look at their respective ToDo lists is frustrating.

5. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Funny, I deleted the old app a long time ago as it did not work well for me. Then just yesterday I was considering downloading the app again for a specific use but read the 100's of 1 star reviews and decided not to. Thanks for the timely feedback.

6. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    FWIW, I find the new app to have improved some things, also with some regressions (the already-noted box selector being buried in settings is a big one for me personally). I actually really prefer the new remote control functionality. It's much easier to hit those buttons, and they have included a dedicated button for skip(channel Up always worked as well, but wasn't intuitive), as well as the back button that is essential for Hydra users. I would have prefered a black background for it, but that's more of a nitpick. I definitely do not prefer a skeuomorphic design for the TiVo remote (duplicating the useless power, volume/mute and input buttons).

I've had two iphone plus models, and currently have the xs, and until the new release, hated the way it looked on those screens. Having the app layout actually fit and fill the screen correctly, as well as a properly sized keyboard, are huge improvements.

There's additional relevant discussion(both pro and con) going on at ZatzNotFunny: New TiVo Experience Hits Mobile Apps

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The new version streams significantly better than the legacy version. Streaming on the legacy app was unusable, now it is almost bullet proof stable for me when I am traveling.
    Channel Grid draw time and My Shows draw time is mind blowingly faster than the legacy app.

I have heard a rumor that they dropped support for the Series 3 models and one of the reason for the one star reviews, but other then that, all around it is significantly better.

As for the remote, it has buttons and they work as expected. Nothing amazing about it, but I didn't see anything amazing about the last one either. Check that, on the legacy app I had to scroll the skeuomorphic peanut remote up and down in order to access all the buttons. 1) that was annoying as hell and 2) skeuomorphic design is and should be dead.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    jrtroo and tim1724 like this.
  8. tthkbw

tthkbw New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I find the new app much better than the old. More responsive generally, but specifically with respect to in home streaming.

I don't mind the new format for the remote. I rarely use the remote on my phone or iPad--the 'real' remote has touch feel for the buttons and I often don't even look at the remote while using it.

Guess I'll have to do an App Store review to try to balance things out a bit.

9. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The only issue I've had is it somehow recorded a show on a channel I have unselected (the SD version) which I found to be irritating.

ClayKY likes this.
  10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don’t get the 1 star reviews. Try it for yourself.

11. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I can’t get it to set up streaming properly. Still. Going on eight days now. But it does allow me to do everything else properly.

12. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I downloaded a bunch of shows for offline viewing a couple of days ago, and it wouldn't play them on a plane. It gave me an error that I couldn't play the show because I wasn't connected to the internet. Anyone else have issues with downloaded shows?

13. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I used the app today to stream from a Bolt Vox and a Premiere. Video was smooth, 30-second skip worked fine. I agree with @dianebrat that changing boxes is more painful. So far, I think the current app is an improvement based on my limited testing.

14. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    I’m having the exact same issue. I love TiVo when it works, but of late that’s rare. I may have to dump cable and go back to Directv....which I’d rather not do.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    For me, it's completely useless at the moment on my iPad Pro 10.5": TiVo iOS app 4.1.0 crashing on launch on iPad Pro 10.5", iOS 12.0.

I upgraded to iOS 12.0.1 (not because I thought it'd help) and it made no difference. Still crashes on launch. I could try deleting the app and reinstalling (to troubleshoot) but that means I lose every recording I'd downloaded to the device. Remembering what to re-download is tough and it's very slow to d/l.

It works on my other 2 iOS devices, but my iPhone 8 has a MUCH smaller screen and my iPad mini 2 has extremely limited storage as it's only a 16 gig model w/almost no room left.

The previous versions of the app (e.g. 3.7) used to work totally fine on the aforementioned iPad Pro 10.5".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  16. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    For anyone that has TiVo through their cable provider, and said provider is a member of NCTC, you can download the VU-IT! app and login with your cable tv credentials. Using this app gives you the prior version of the TiVo app which still works great for me. There’s too many issues with the latest version for me to even use it so I deleted it.

17. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    OK.

18. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The update deletes all existing downloads (or it said it would since I didn’t have any) anyways, presumably since the download format changed, so you might as well delete and reinstall.

19. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I just tried it and it worked well for me. I turned my phone on airplane mode and the show I downloaded a few days ago worked perfectly. I'm on iOS but am still on 12.0. I haven't updated yet to 12.0.1.

20. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I've encountered issues on multiple downloads where it plays to a certain point, then is unable to continue playing the show any further past than that point. Not great when you're on a plane. I'll probably just go back to Plex for downloaded shows to my phone.