The Nevers 1x01 "Pilot" (4/11/21)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Is it just me, or was "That's not my face" more than just messing with the Beggar King?

Is it just me, or is Laura Donnelly Krysten Ritter's long-lost twin sister?

I'm a little surprised that there are only six episodes. I guess we shouldn't expect much padding... ;)

[edit] Oh, I see there are ten, but they're taking a break after six because of COVID-related delays in production.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That was... different.

Really liked it. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Is it based on a book?

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Where this GOES? I don't even know where it's BEEN.

But I liked it too. Which is good because I'm going to have to watch it again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

It was interesting and (very) confusing at the same time.

Was the polyglot singing girl that Maladie kidnapped the same polyglot girl that Mrs. True "rescued" from her family at the beginning of the episode?

I wonder how many women Joss terrorized while making this show.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think you're maybe confusing the polyglot girl that Maladie tried to kidnap (and whom Mrs True got back) with the singer at the opera who Maladie DID kidnap?

(Which would be odd to me, because they look nothing alike...the polyglot girl is much younger with mousy brown hair, and the singer is an older, very stunning redhead.)

Crobinzine likes this.
  7. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I didn't like the episode enough to rewind and rewatch. It just seemed odd to me to have dual polyglot females in an episode.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The singer isn't polyglot. She's just a magical singer.

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    OK. My bad.

I know it's HBO but the nudity and f-bombs seemed superfluous to me. Like the show should be closer to Harry Potter than Game Of Thrones.

Steveknj likes this.
  10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    “I’m not saying it’s aliens, but...”

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. I called this show a fairy tale for adults, because of the cursing and nudity (which both seemed unnecessary). Still it was strange and a bit fun and I'm in for now.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it's weird. It almost felt like Whedon thought "I'm on HBO now, I can do anything!" But he's been PG-13 so long he doesn't really have an R-rated brain, so it just feels like a kid saying bad words because he can.

Steveknj likes this.
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly. And it's why I generally feel a couple of ways about cursing and nudity. Often it's gratuitous and like you it feels like they are doing it because they can. I've often felt that it's harder to write with the constraints of "old" TV, because you have to be more clever with your words. Seinfeld's The Contest is the classic example of how you can write a taboo subject smartly and make it extremely effective and funny. As you said it felt that Whedon threw that in because he now has this new toy he can use. And the show's subject could have worked as a PG-13 fairly tale instead of what they did. Also, it reminded me of movie directors who thrown in a few curses or sexual situations just to get an R rating, which does better in the box office. Maybe HBO felt that if it was TOO much of a show aimed at pre-adult viewers adults wouldn't watch. Of course there's, His Dark Materials where they did an adult fairy tale without any of this stuff.

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Why do you think Maladie tried to kidnap the first girl? all we saw were regular men and weird-looking men (who either were deformed or wearing something over their faces). I don't remember Maladie being there.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sorry, I mis-spoke. Yes, I was referring to the first kidnapping attempt, not to Maladie. (I guess I just have Amy Manson on the brain..which has been true for years now!)

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Honestly, I didn’t notice the cursing and I only recall one scene of nudity.
    I’ll pay more attention for it in e2.

17. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I swear I thought her name was Melody and kept reading the replies like Ma'lady with a British accent. :p

This was very confusing and weird for me but somehow it has me really intrigued so I'm going to see where it goes. Amelia sure did do a lot in 3 years time, eh?
    Also what is her connection with the uptight dude that she went to the opera with?

And if she sees glimpses into the future, why was she wrong about Maladie jumping up into her box? That was weird for me since we just watched everything else come to fruition exactly as her flash had shown. I'm gonna have to watch this again.

18. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Maybe they were trying to show Amalia has the power to change what she sees, instead of waiting for Maladie to jump up to the box, Amalia decided to jump down to the stage and confront Maladie.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  19. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Maybe, but that wouldn't have made sense. Maladie already had the girl she came for and was heading off stage.

20. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I watched that scene again and you are correct Maladie did start to leave before Amalia jumped down so my theory doesn't hold up.

photoshopgrl likes this.