The network connection was aborted by the local system - first time I've ever gotten this, help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clubside, Sep 12, 2019.

1. clubside

clubside New Member

Sep 12, 2019

Advertisements

Howdy! I’ve been a TiVo user since they launched (along with long lost ReplayTV) and the main reason I’ve stuck with it is TiVo desktop to offload and archive my shows. I’ve been using the same install on the same Windows 10 machine and same TiVo Bolt+ for well over a year and last week I got the above error, one I’ve never seen in all the years I’ve used the program. Searching for help brings up really old “tips” that basically boil down to “reboot everything” which I’ve done multiple times. Nothing has changed on my machine recently other than whatever updates Microsoft has thrown at Windows 10.

Any ideas of what to check? Is this a firewall issue or something else? I’ve still got plenty of space but with the new Fall shows mere weeks away I’m gonna need to offload sooner rather than later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Since Tivo has discontinued support for Tivo Desktop, it may be due to the expired security certificate.

Another programs that still lets you do PC-to-Tivo transfers is PyTivo/PyTivo Desktop.

clubside likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    clubside likes this.
  4. clubside

clubside New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestion! I installed the pyTivo Desktop from the official download page, put in my MAK, said not to install DirectShow since I have TiVo Desktop installed, launched it, got a Windows Firewall dialog, chose Accept, get "No Tivos found!"

I opened port 9032 in the Firewall manually and it had no effect. All the troubleshooting advice seems to be for the non-Desktop version. Any ideas?

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Are you running TE4 on your Bolt? I thought someone else had reported an issue with TiVo Desktop with a recent update but others indicated it was still working with the 3rd party programs (like pyTivo Desktop). I have a similar issue with pyTivo Desktop also not discovering any of the 3 TiVo's on the network but TiVo Desktop still discovers them and works fine but I haven't spent any time to find out why.

Scott

clubside likes this.
  6. clubside

clubside New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    Yeah I updated long ago and Desktop was still working fine. You’re still getting it to work now? Longer than 2 weeks broken for me.

7. Oct 3, 2019 #7 of 10
    Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    Good to know I'm not alone in thinking I was going crazy- I've been getting this message too after using Desktop for YEARS without issue and now that error and can no longer xfr file and use DirectShowDump to convert them. I did d/l Pytivo and the interface is SO much better than I recall trying it many years ago so I guess I'll stick with PyTivo.

8. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I am having the same issue, with the same message. Tivo desktop works with Roamio OTA just fine. Just bought a second Roamio OTA for another room. Desktop opens up properly. When the first Roamio is selected, it lists recordings, will download properly and play the video. The new Roamio is detected by desktop. When selected, however, I get the listed message and no shows are listed.

Although both are Roamio OTA models, the old one has the initial interface while the new one has the new "experience" interface. The old Roamio is hardwired to the router, via ethernet, while the new one is wifi connected to the router. Signal is fine and and can transfer video from new machine to old one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Confirm the new Tivo box is listed on your Tivo.com account, Under DVR Preferences the sharing/Transfers are checked (click save at bottom), The Media Access Key should be the same across the account, and all your Tivo boxes.

10. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    The sharing preferences are set and the MAK is the same as my older unit.