The Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Oct 1, 2018 #1 of 68
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

I watched the promo on the "CBS Preview Show", and it looked awful.
    But… I decided to watch tonight anyway, and it's pretty good.

2. Oct 1, 2018 #2 of 68
    mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
  3. Oct 1, 2018 #3 of 68
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think I would’ve preferred Josh Lawson, but I prefer Beth Behrs over the original actress.

The show was pretty good for a pilot. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with it though. I have too many shows piled up.

4. Oct 1, 2018 #4 of 68
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Blah. I did make it thru the entire episode, which is more than I can say for the show that followed it*. But after watching it, I deleted the SP.

Just full of stale black/white jokes. Almost nothing new or unique about it. I like Beth Behrs, and would have loved to see her hit a home run with this, but it seemed like almost every character was a cliche.

* Happy Together came on after this. I made it about 4 minutes in, and had to bleach my eyeballs.

jr461 likes this.
  5. Oct 2, 2018 #5 of 68
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA

Advertisements

I watched it. I'll try to watch the next episode before I ditch it but based on last night, it's probably going to happen.

It was riddled with black/white jokes. That's it. Kinda like an overweight comedian only doing sand up about their weight. Or an asian comedian only doing Asian jokes. It's OK for a minute or two but it gets old. Maybe this show will broaden a bit.

I've never seen any of the actors except the main black neighbor. I didn't like any of the white ones.

6. Oct 2, 2018 #6 of 68
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it. Yeah, very cliche and sort of a modern version of Sanford and Son, but at least I laughed a couple of times. Plus they had me at him smoking the meat :) I'll keep watching for now. I second astroship's comments about Happy Together. This is a pretty bad batch of sitcoms so far, and that was, BY FAR, the worst of the bunch.

7. Oct 2, 2018 #7 of 68
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Cedric's wife was on Everybody Hates Chris
    Husband was on New Girl
    Wife was on Two Broke Girls
    New friend next week was on Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  8. Oct 2, 2018 #8 of 68
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I liked the first episode so I set a 1P. I’m a fan of Cedric the entertainer and thought Max Greenfield was good on New Girl.

Side note: I watched on cbs.com which didn’t show any commercials. That was great! NBC and ABC kill you with the commercials.

9. Oct 2, 2018 #9 of 68
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I’ll give it another episode but without Beth Behrs wearing a short waitress skirt I don’t think I can stay in long term.

10. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    It was just as predictable as it seemed going in. It's already gotten old with one black/white joke you could see coming a mile away after another.

Playing chess - "I'm white"..."You sure are".....uproarious laugh track laughter ensues :rolleyes:

Nothing new, nothing clever.

Didn't even try "Happy Together"....from the promos that looks brutal.

11. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I love Max so I'm going to give this show a chance but I agree with you 100%. It was hard to get through for me not being a huge Cedric or Beth Behrs fan.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Better than "Happy Together". This show would be thought of as totally racist if things were the other direction. It was still funny. It could wear thin though. The area (set) sure didn't look "slum-y", it seemed like it was supposed to be a really poor area -- with a crackhead living across the street.

(I do remember a "60 Minutes" segment I *think* within the last 10 years about a "black neighborhood" *somewhere*, and they talked about white neighbors moving in sometimes. That was uncomfortable too.)

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wonder if it's one of those lower middle class neighborhoods where the minorities that live there are somewhat successful as opposed to a slum where everyone is destitute. There are a lot of those places here in NJ and I'm sure some in NYC as well. Those are the neighborhoods most likely to become "gentrified". I think that's the underlying issue that will come out in this show. That gentrification often leads to those there before getting pushed out.

14. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I didn’t watch but the promos didn’t have a gentrification vibe. They seem to represent a typical upper middle class black neighborhood (like Ladera Heights in California).

They didn’t seem to depict one of the wealthy all-black neighborhoods as in Atlanta. Whites moving into those neighborhoods would only get a “side-eye” and not worthy of a sitcom.

15. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That’s what it looked like to me. I believe he even said something about being happy that another successful black family was moving to the neighborhood. The talk about the “crackhead” that lived across the street seemed out of place.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Crackheads can live anywhere.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. I think at the beginning before Cedric met the new neighbors, he talked about a successful black family.

The "crackhead" could be living in a house that he inherited so he has no housing costs.

18. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hah! When I read Steveknj's comment I immediately thought of Ladera Heights.

This is the only new comedy whose One Pass is going to survive on my TiVo. It's a very bad season.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I really liked it. Yeah, it might be cliche but sometimes cliche is funny.

Steveknj likes this.
  20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess I don't remember specifics, but the son not having a job at all (IIRC) and living at home...

I guess Black-ish is sort of the opposite, since they're really well off, and don't they mention them as being the only black family in the neighborhood?